Childhood Misconceptions/Rumours/Urban Legends/Bullshit

BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 2017-7-1 at 4:44 PM, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Did anyone else use to think there was a proper relation to Olympic wrestling? I know, plenty have that background, but still.

I remember reading a book about the Greeks with a friend at school, and it covered the rules of Olympic wrestling where wrestlers had to hold the others’ shoulders to the floor for a count of one. We were both amazed that in wrestling “in the old days” you only had to get a 1-count!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 01/07/2017 at 4:44 PM, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Did anyone else use to think there was a proper relation to Olympic wrestling? I know, plenty have that background, but still.

I remember Kent Walton saying a few times "former amateur wrestler, turned pro in......" regarding a wrestler that was in ring at the time. 

9 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I remember reading a book about the Greeks with a friend at school, and it covered the rules of Olympic wrestling where wrestlers had to hold the others’ shoulders to the floor for a count of one. We were both amazed that in wrestling “in the old days” you only had to get a 1-count!

As a kid I thought the Olympic wrestlers were pussies as they only had to get someone to stay down for a 1 count but "real" wrestlers had to get people to stay down for 3. Triple times as hard.

In our playground, people were convinced that there was a rule in the Royal Rumble that you could eliminate someone by pinning them for a 10 count. I've no idea how/when this started up but we had one kid who swore blind that he had seen it happen in one of the Royal Rumble matches. As it was primary school, it will have been some time between 92-96 as I wasn't watching before 92 and will have started Secondry in 96. Obviously it never happened, but did anyone else ever have this rumour go round? or is it another piece to add to the "Must Be a Hull Thing" list.

Honourable mention: Ultimate Warrior went to WCW after Summerslam and was The Dark Warrior

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

In our playground, people were convinced that there was a rule in the Royal Rumble that you could eliminate someone by pinning them for a 10 count. I've no idea how/when this started up but we had one kid who swore blind that he had seen it happen in one of the Royal Rumble matches. As it was primary school, it will have been some time between 92-96 as I wasn't watching before 92 and will have started Secondry in 96. Obviously it never happened, but did anyone else ever have this rumour go round? or is it another piece to add to the "Must Be a Hull Thing" list.

Honourable mention: Ultimate Warrior went to WCW after Summerslam and was The Dark Warrior

Well Macho Man clearly thought he could eliminate Yokozuna that way ;)

• Paid Members

Quite possibly - you could win by pinfall or submission in the Wrestlefest Royal Rumble mode, though where the 10 count part comes from, I don't know, other than usual childhood nonsense.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I believed Boss Man's bruises at the hands of nailz were real. That magazine report haunts me to this day.

Big_Boss_Man_-_Raymond_Traylor_04.jpg

add me to that list, that was one of the first thing that really made me question what i was seeing and scared me a bit. Remains one of my favorite angles ever

Diesel was kane but not kevin nash. Years later discovering fake diesel etc etc means it was half right i suppose. For some reason people at my school thought kidman was the 123 kid. Probably just the size, hair and the word "kid". I also remember refusing to believe scott steiner was the same guy from the tag team when i saw him on Thunder on the PS1

14 hours ago, HeavyT said:

Diesel was kane but not kevin nash. Years later discovering fake diesel etc etc means it was half right i suppose. For some reason people at my school thought kidman was the 123 kid. Probably just the size, hair and the word "kid". I also remember refusing to believe scott steiner was the same guy from the tag team when i saw him on Thunder on the PS1

In all fairness he looked a lot different.

Anyone have any of the International Wrestling Alliance VHS think they released about 7 tapes in total. More about the IWA here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Wrestling_Association_(1970s)

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2010/02/21/12974716.html

On the red cover tape it had Andre, Dino Bravo, Frenchy Martin, Ernie Ladd and Mil Mascaras. The footage is from the mid to late 70s and are full TV broadcasts with an extra match added on. I have the yellow, blue and lighter blue ones seem to be missing the red one. IWA also were the first promotion to try and go national before Vince did in 1984.

Also the Boss Man/Nailz angle was great. Compared to the more cartoony gimmicks of the time this was really them pushing the PG envelope as the beat down looked real and of course the bruises and bandages in WWF magazine added tenfold to the story.

I assume who booked this also booked Jake/Macho which I think rivals the Boss man/Nailz angle for being one of the best. In hindsight both were cutting edge and almost pre Attitude Era. Or more like something Paul E would think of in ECW. 

• Paid Members

Ooh, that's a good one. I always saw one of those IWA tapes in whatever the Stevenage version of Blockbuster was, but never bought it, presumably because it was a 15. Anyhow, I was absolutely convinced the "six man tag match" meant 6 men on each side.

Also, having only seen TV ads, until I actually watched my first Survivor Series, I thought all eight men were in the ring at the same time, which was the most amazing prospect ever if you thought it was real.

Archived