Childhood Misconceptions/Rumours/Urban Legends/Bullshit

BomberPat

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Is "Slatter/Kernodly" a horrendous misspelling of Slaughter/Kernodle, or am I missing something?

Bad spelling, but Slatter is probably Dick Slater.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Banocref said:

I found a few more of those tapes.

WP_20170630_010_zpsxyrkh5lu.jpgWP_20170630_009_zpsiulszia5.jpgWP_20170630_008_zpsmay04wmr.jpgWP_20170630_007_zpsicbksdyf.jpg

Not sure how many they put out in total, I have the Red, Black, Pink & Green ones. Didn't know there was a blue & yellow one too. Who would own the footage now as it's Mid-Atlantic would it be WWE, or would they fall into the public domain category?.

As for Urban legends and the like, one I vaguely recall is Warrior was the Renegade in WCW.

My favourites at school when I was nine were The Rockers, and when Shawn attacked Marty ( who tried to dive through a window to escape), Marty disappeared for about ten months.

A kid at my school insisted Jannetty was in a coma in hospital having lost over ten pints of blood, and they were trying to get Papa Shango to revive him with voodoo.

(I'm reasonably sure that the only two people who ever believed this were me and old MJ himself)

Seeing those old tape reminds me of the red one with Kabuki in the opener. My very young self was convinced the mist was genuinely dangerous, not helped by playground rumours of a blue mist that froze, and the dreaded and universally banned black mist that would kill an opponent. I mean, when Tajiri did it, it was food colouring, but back in the old days, it was legit...right[!]

I remember getting offended as a ten year old when my dad said in reference to Tatanka - "Its just red dye in his hair!"  And I said "it's not JUST red dye, it represents the blood of his Native American ancestors!"

In 1997, I thought most of the matches were pre-determined except the championship matches because Bret Hart's always looked so credible and realistic.

Shawn Michaels got me a few times.  I genuinely thought he was leaving wrestling in 1995 because of post concussion syndrome and was upset when Fin Martin reported in the Satellite Times that Shawn was really okay. I really wanted to believe!! It's the same reason I got upset with Diesel doing a shoot promo on 'the office' on RAW after Survivor Series 1995.  I didn't want to know about behind the scenes! If it wasn't on TV it didn't matter!

I was also genuinely concerned for Shawn's bad back in his match with HHH at Summerslam 2002. What a worker.

A few of mine:

1. I was always convinced All Star advertised bills would be legit and never learned even after repeated  disapointments.

2. I fell for the Legend of Doom, Hawk thing. 

3. I was convinced the 1-2-3 kid over Razor was legit.

4. I saw wrestling  billed in the TV guide as being at 3am or something (early  90s). I was convinced for some reason  Earthquake  would be at it? Even though it was WCW???

5. In 93 I was still  convinced it was real off the back of the 93 RR Razor vs bret match.

6. I was convinced at  the time that 92 Warrior  was fake  as his WM8 appearance looked so different to WM6/7.

7.  As I knew 0 about steroids then as I was 12 I was genuinely  mystified  why  Hogan looked so different  in 93 as opposed  to 91/92.

8. Bizarrely for some reason having not watched  wrestling for 5 years when Goldberg appeared when I first saw pics of him i thought Jesse Ventura  had made a comeback? ??

• Paid Members

I remember watching ITV Wrestling as a kid and my dad saying once saw a wrestler put a chair literally through another wrestler. 

He also said that he saw Daddy vs Haystacks and the ring broke. 

On 30/06/2017 at 11:22 AM, Cod Eye said:

I'd stopped watching wrestling for a bit when he debuted, but my mates brother and his mates(who were about 13 at the time) were convinced that Kane was the guy who played the Fake Undertaker in that 'Taker vs Taker match, and thats why they put him in a mask.

The other one was that Rikishi was Yokozuna. They had been told by a "guy who works at WWF" that they had to rename him as he lost so much weight, but kept him in "that big nappy" thing so people would still recognise him...

I thought both of these myself.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:18 AM, RoryFice said:

1. Due to a VCR recording of Summerslam 1993 that cut out, I insisted to my brother for years that Marty Jannetty (my favourite) had defeated Ludvig Borga at Summerslam 1993.

2. Conversely, and due to another incomplete VCR recording, I told my brother for years that Sparky Plugg eliminated Shawn Michaels (his favourite) in Royal Rumble 1994.

Silver Vision proved me to be a liar in due course.

Funny that, my bro did that to me. He was a right tosser.

One from my family was that Jake Roberts was Doink The Clown. Something to do with them never being around the same company at the same time and Jake wearing a similar jacket to Doink's upon his '96 return.

• Paid Members

My mate once insisted that he'd seen Mr Perfect against a jobber called "Teddy Boy", who came to the ring with a teddy bear. Perfect was dominating until he ripped the bear apart which caused Teddy Boy to kick fuck out of him "for real" and win the match. It was never going to be acknowledged though, because Perfect was Intercontinental Champion at the time and they didn't want to put the belt on a jobber.

I believed him at first, possibly because I just liked the idea of a jobber getting a fluke victory, but I'd accepted he was talking shite at least by Wrestlemania 8. I distinctly remember thinking he was full of shit when he told me Warrior had come back, solely because of the Teddy Boy story.

A really weird one is that I thought the Apter Mags were real long after I'd twigged wrestling wasn't. It was only when they did a story about a reporter over-hearing a totally kayfabed conversation between Skip and Sunny that I realised that they were just making stuff up. As it turns out not only were all the interviews and rankings fake but some of the writers were imaginary as well.

Archived