General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Morata must feel like the leftover girl during clearing out time at a Liquid nightclub that nobody wants, until they realise everyone else is taken or has gone.

I think that's a bit harsh! Seems more that basically United or us were respectively going to sign him or Lukaku. I'm slightly less sold on Morata than many Chelsea fans and would have preferred a return for big Rom, but Morata has a lot going for him. Tall, good link up play, experience in big teams and getting deep into the CL etc. The only thing I am slightly sceptical of is his ability to score 1/2 over the course of a full season. As Cleetus mentioned a few pages back, he hasn't really had the chance to. He's a fucking upgrade on Christian bloody Benteke, who I was increasingly thinking we were going to end up with.

I do like the fact that he is comfortable in a 2 striker formation too. That could be fun, as Conte has played around with that as an idea before.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morata I think will fit into Chelsea better than Lukaku would have (second time round). He is an intelligent player that will open up space for others. 

The only doubt I might have is whether he can score as many as Costa over the course of the season, I still think Chelsea need another striker to chip in with the goals. Assuming that Costa is leaving that is. I suppose both could play until January when Costa goes to Atletico. 

On 18/07/2017 at 0:28 AM, PunkStep said:

The only way I see City going for that is if they get either Sanchez or Mbappe. Still very risky, Aguero is such a proven striker. Injury problems over the past couple of years though, which could worsen with age.

Sky Italy (who in fairness are usually petty good) are reporting that PSG are willing to trigger Neymar's £200m release clause. Come the fuck on! Surely not.

Neymar likely posturing for more money, only using PSG instead of Man United for a change. I can't see anyone being able to part with £200m for a single player for another 10 years surely...

Happy with Celtic's result, a comfortable win but will have to take chances better when against Rosenborg. With them already midway through the season they will likely be fitter and better gelled as a team. I was hoping Dundalk would beat them as I am sure Celtic would take them down. Celtic seem to always do badly against Scandanavian teams. Carroll had another good game but so many missed sitters from Celtic.

With regards to Morata, while £60 million is a heavy sum, comparing to how much players cost these days I think they have got a good signing for a decent price. He could easily score over 20 for Chelsea.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Murtz said:

Is Morata an upgrade on Costa? Individually and for the team?

Fuck knows. I think general consensus is that he'll be better for the team in linking things up, but that he may struggle to score 20 goals every season. Much like Costa, he has only really had 1 season of playing as a central striker (in Morata's case as a sub) and has shined, so hopefully that should translate over to us.

• Paid Members

It'll be nice for you to have a striker that isn't targeted anywhere as much by opposing players or the media. Costa did himself no favours of course, and his reputation did precede himself, but he was definitely given the PL villain role as soon as he joined.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It'll be nice for you to have a striker that isn't targeted anywhere as much by opposing players or the media. Costa did himself no favours of course, and his reputation did precede himself, but he was definitely given the PL villain role as soon as he joined.

He was awful at times (stamping Skrtel), but as you say, he was a bit typecast. If I remember right, he got booked for diving within the first 30 minutes of his Chelsea career after he was clearly fouled in the box. Right old shit, but also sometimes hammered on reputation. 

• Paid Members

Monaco are claiming some 'important teams' have tried tapping up Mbappe and are reporting this to FIFA & the French league to investigate. According to a couple of journos on Twitter it's City and PSG- not Arsenal (hardly surprising, we aren't dirty enough when it comes to transfers) nor Real Madrid.

This could throw a spanner into the works for City's plans to sign Mendy. Good- increases the chances of us signing Lemar or Real signing Mbappe, which could well happen now that Morata has gone...

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Monaco are claiming some 'important teams' have tried tapping up Mbappe and are reporting this to FIFA & the French league to investigate. According to a couple of journos on Twitter it's City and PSG- not Arsenal (hardly surprising, we aren't dirty enough when it comes to transfers) nor Real Madrid.

This could throw a spanner into the works for City's plans to sign Mendy. Good- increases the chances of us signing Lemar or Real signing Mbappe, which could well happen now that Morata has gone...

Monaco are probably just trying to squeeze an extra £20m out of City for Mendy by name dropping them, they will probably withdraw any complaint once City pay up. 

Archived