Grease 2 pisses all over Grease 1

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I love the DD soundtrack but don't agree with it being overly 80s. There are a few songs in the whole film that are 80s style and they were all released as singles which is why they probably stand out more (e.g. Time of My Life, Hungry Eyes, She's Like The Wind). But I'd say 90% of the other songs used are from the 50s and 60s.

As well as the three you mentioned, one that's even more obvious is a Pointer Sisters song that's used during the film (and also during the end credits). It's SO 80s you can smell the Pop Tarts burning!

Well, the songs from Grease weren't written in the 50s.

No, but they were clearly in the style of fifties music. They managed to fire up the flux capacitor for some of their songs.

That said, the song Grease Is The Word definitely has a funky 70s vibe to it- I don't think you can get away with calling that a 50s song. But it's a fucking great song and Frankie Valli is in top form, so I'm going to look the other way. Plus, it was a soundtrack to the into rather than being within the film.

It's not using modern music as a soundtrack for something that pre-dates the music that bothers me, it's when the song is used within the film- i.e. the cast listening, dancing to or singing along to it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Grease 2 wins because the hero rides a motorbike (that he created himself and painted flames on) and jumps over things. He also says "bollocks", like a good Englishman.

Grease 1 fails because the "hero" is all show and has a car that isn't as cool as the one that The Scorpions have.

• Paid Members

If you want completely out placed music in a music themed film, then Eddie & The Cruisers is the winner. A film about a 50's rock n roll band that sound like fourth rate Springsteen in his pomp. Odd.

• Paid Members

Grease 1 fails because the "hero" is all show and has a car that isn't as cool as the one that The Scorpions have.

Won the fucking race didn't it.
Didn't live up to its claim of being a "real pussy wagon" and getting them "lots of tit", did it?

The Scorpions flame shooting, razor wheeled car is where all the hippest chicks went.

I used to work with a bunch of women who loved Grease.  I enjoyed ruining it for them with the "Sandy in a coma" theory.  One of them watched it that night and agreed, she also thought it was a terrible message about changing yourself to suit others.  I was very happy about ruining the film for her and tried to ruin many more.

Archived