The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

how does pub/bar numbers get counted when it comes to PPV? I know to purchase a PPV in a pub it costs considerably more than at home, but would still count as 1 PPV buy?

Meltzer says it doesn't count as PPV. Measured separately. 

46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

how does pub/bar numbers get counted when it comes to PPV? I know to purchase a PPV in a pub it costs considerably more than at home, but would still count as 1 PPV buy?

They would have to pay for a business license to show it. Therefore it's not really a PPV buy. The 6.5m if true is unbelievable and it's smashed the PPV record. As for the illegal streaming apparently those streaming from Box Office and sharing it online with the number watermark which links back to their Sky account are going to be in hot water. 

4 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

They would have to pay for a business license to show it. Therefore it's not really a PPV buy. The 6.5m if true is unbelievable and it's smashed the PPV record. As for the illegal streaming apparently those streaming from Box Office and sharing it online with the number watermark which links back to their Sky account are going to be in hot water. 

Anyone who did that is a complete idiot. Most of the streams of events I've seen from Sky usually have a black bar blocking that number from view. 

On 8/29/2017 at 7:53 PM, David said:

Funny you should mention Kamegai. As I said in the boxing thread, he's possibly the dumbest man who's lacing up gloves today. An absolute fucking chump of the highest order. Going out there and getting his skull rattled in a fight he was never going to win? Absolute madness of the highest order.

Now, I know that kind of mentality is lapped up by the boxing masses, as it proves him to be a "real man" or some other bullshit, but if we're pointing at that kind of thinking as something for McGregor to aspire to, then I honestly don't know what to say.

It's the boxing version of the 'just bleed' mentality. It’s curious that some people will deride that attitude in MMA fans, but then have that attitude themselves when it comes to boxing.

2 hours ago, David said:

Anyone who did that is a complete idiot. Most of the streams of events I've seen from Sky usually have a black bar blocking that number from view. 

Yea if it's not blanked out it's tied to the Sky account and they were talking in terms of a big streaming service taking control over it or using it as an option. BT and Sky put those identifying numbers often during football matches too. So potentially someone could have streamed to thousands if not more. I imagine the U.K. is a bit more lenient in terms of the punishment, as in the US you'd be looking at a large fine, potentially being sued by Showtime et al.

1 hour ago, Noah Southworth said:

It's the boxing version of the 'just bleed' mentality. It’s curious that some people will deride that attitude in MMA fans, but then have that attitude themselves when it comes to boxing.

Can't say I've experienced this.  Seemingly every contact sport fan I know is consistent with their attitude across the different sports, if they're a just bleeder in Boxing, they will be in MMA too.

EDIT - Seems like I have.  Point retracted

28 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Can't say I've experienced this.  Seemingly every contact sport fan I know is consistent with their attitude across the different sports, if they're a just bleeder in Boxing, they will be in MMA too.

To be fair, I have seen it. I know boxing fans who look at "just bleed" MMA fans with disdain, yet wax lyrical about how Arturo Gatti was a "real fighter".

1 minute ago, David said:

To be fair, I have seen it. I know boxing fans who look at "just bleed" MMA fans with disdain, yet wax lyrical about how Arturo Gatti was a "real fighter".

Ah, good point.  Retracted.

• Paid Members

Watched the entire thing back tonight and it's an absolutely fascinating fight on second viewing, with the super-charged emotion of the live event removed and a more analytic head on. What really stands out is Mayweather's calmness throughout the whole thing, it's like he's just trying to figure out a puzzle. You sense frustration in him a couple of times but he never looked rattled once. He's so smooth that at times it's hard to decide whether he's moving in slow motion or lightening quick, if that makes any sense at all!?

Sugar Ray Leonard is excellent on the commentary too, check out that version if you didn't get on with Froch on the Sky commentary on Saturday morning. Leonard is really balanced, with smart insight and gives plenty of credit to Conor's effort throughout and deservedly so.

To me, the fight really turned in the fourth round, at which point you can see that McGregor starts to slow while Mayweather is just beginning to warm up. Conor did remain a lot more competitive than I remembered all the way through to the ninth when his legs went. By the end of that round the result is a foregone conclusion, Conor's corner try to instruct him to clinch his way through the tenth to try to recover, but it's too late.

McGregor gave a really good account of himself in the fight it must be said, but I still think he comes off like an absolute twat in the aftermath though with his incessant protesting about the stoppage and the downplaying of Floyd's abilities. "He's just composed, he's just composed! He's not powerful, he's not fast", "I turned him into a Mexican tonight!" I find it mad that so many are endeared by him.

• Paid Members

He said he had two UFC belts to defend, at the post-fight presser. I assume it's more that he claims tongue-in-cheek to still be the Featherweight champ having never lost the belt, than a mistake or tease that he's going back down to "defend" it though.

Archived