Wrestlers or types of matches you find boring/ or overated.

FWA Goon

I can take or leave Lucha Underground. I quite enjoy it when I watch it but I don't care if I miss it. It's different and I appreciate what they are trying to do. That genre of wrestling isn't particularly for me anyway.

It's certainly not boring or over-rated. The title of the thread is stupid though. It should be stuff that just doesn't float your boat. That's fine, each to their own.

That's true. I should done things that don't float your boat or things that annoy you.

For annoying I would have added. When people hit finishers in Royal Rumbles it makes their opponent stand up and fall over the top rope when it doesn't normally. 

Also in traditional survivor series matches. Finishers and other moves seem far more devastating and easier to execute than usual as people are eliminated quickly. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can take or leave Lucha Underground. I quite enjoy it when I watch it but I don't care if I miss it. It's different and I appreciate what they are trying to do. That genre of wrestling isn't particularly for me anyway.

It's certainly not boring or over-rated. The title of the thread is stupid though. It should be stuff that just doesn't float your boat. That's fine, each to their own.

Aye, I basically took the thread to mean that as that's what it's become. Cena, Jericho & Angle mentions ffs. but yeah nothing I can point to on LU I can say "I hate that" and Ultima Lucha was definitely a spectacle, but just the whole package, it's not anything I can ever see myself becoming emotionally invested in or even really being able to follow.

Put me down for Iron Man Matches. I've never understood it. It's all mostly filler when you think about it. The only real story you can tell is towards the end which is trying to secure a vital decision that either gets the draw to initiate sudden death or getting a winning fall when the score's level.

Not so sure about that, that's like saying a football match is only interesting in the last few minutes of a match. Take for example Newcastle  4 - 4 Arsenal from 2011. Newcastle were 3-0 down after 10 minutes and 4-0 at half-time. Newcastle scored four second half goals including two in the last ten minutes, and were actually unlucky not to get a winner. It's easy to see how a story like that applies to a wrestling match - babyface in dire peril due to dominant heel for most of the match, before rallying with increasingly big offense as the match gets closer to the end. Sure the big story will be right at the end, but that's inevitable with a fixed duration match. Sure Bret-Shaun was super dull, but that was largely due to the unwillingness of the participants to create an exciting story rather than the limitations of the match format.

The difference there is that a football match is not predetermined. We know no one is going to get booked to win an iron match 3 or 4 nil. So even if someone does go down that far we know they're going to come back to within at least one. So the only fall that matters is whether they get one at the end.

• Paid Members

Bret Vs Shawn was two guys wrestling to a no-score draw. The Angle-Lesnar Iron Man match from that episode of Smackdown was great to watch and had a very intriguing story.

• Paid Members

Iron man matches are fine when done right, The Rock VS Triple H was bloody wonderful.

Part of that was Taker returning which made the night all the more memorable. HHH/Rock always had decent matches.

• Paid Members

It's so hard to keep these unpredictable. Some are great matches don't get me wrong but the general gimmick of them I hate, how many 2 out of 3 falls matches actually finish 2-0?

One of my favourite booking tropes of this century, actually, was during one of The Briscoes' reigns in ROH, they had a series of 2/3 falls matches with teams that had pushed them close in previous defences, that they would then whitewash 2-0. It meant that when a team finally took a fall off them (I believe the No Remorse Corps) the crowd went MENTAL thinking the Briscoes were in jeopardy. They still won.

Didn't Benoit beat Kurt Angle 2-0 at Insurrextion 2001? Also he lost the U.S. title to MVP in the same manner. Also Flair/Foley at Vengence 2006. Very much the exception, not the rule, but they do happen.

The difference there is that a football match is not predetermined. We know no one is going to get booked to win an iron match 3 or 4 nil. So even if someone does go down that far we know they're going to come back to within at least one. So the only fall that matters is whether they get one at the end.

I know James Bond isn't going to die during a film, so what's your point? Wrestling is no different to TV, film or theatre in that the audience knows what they are seeing isn't real, but is quite prepared to enjoy the story being told for the sake of entertainment. I've seen lots of films and TV shows more than once and know what's going to happen, but that doesn't stop me enjoying them. 

• Paid Members

I know James Bond isn't going to die during a film, so what's your point? Wrestling is no different to TV, film or theatre in that the audience knows what they are seeing isn't real, but is quite prepared to enjoy the story being told for the sake of entertainment. I've seen lots of films and TV shows more than once and know what's going to happen, but that doesn't stop me enjoying them.

This is true. I watched Finding Nemo yesterday and even though I know that *spoiler* Nemo is found, I still suffered along with him and his Dad when it looked like it was never going to happen.

• Members

I find Randy Orton absolutely mind numbing. His voice is so dull and emotionless which I guess is his gimmick and puts me to sleep. His matches feel like they last forever, no matter who with or how long they go. Even his walk to the ring and pose is just so bland. Nothing notable about his look, even to the point where he went and got full sleeve tattoos about 15 seconds before every 20-something male in the world went and did the same rendering him once again looking like douchebag in a club not having any fun. The last thing I remember him doing that got any emotion from me was recklessly kicking John Cena's dad in the face.

• Paid Members

I used to think that way about Ortii but after his Bushwhacker face against Christian before he RKO'd him on the announce table at some PPV and his glorious, random split jump after upending Menry he'll always be in my good graces.

There's just something wonderfully crackers about him, like a well trained guide dog who's pink thing sometimes pops out against its better judgement.

Am I allowed to say ICW?

Like I'm super happy for them for doing so well and everything, but I just don't "get" it. Any thing I ever see from ICW looks really really bad, (in ring wise, that isnt a well known name) so I just can't get on board with them.

Archived