Wrestlers or types of matches you find boring/ or overated.

FWA Goon

• Paid Members

I think the worst thing about the Bret vs Shawn ironman is that they could've had an all time classic. It certainly wasn't down to a lack of talent or anything. And I don't think they were having problems with each other backstage so much at that point, were they? Whoever came up with the bright idea to book a 0-0 draw and have half the match consist of a short arm scissors and/or a chinlock needs shooting with a water pistol filled with diarreah.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I feel exactly the same about the Iron Man Match. I started watching wrestling about a year and a half after it happened and it was always spoken about highly and still is to this day. But fuck me, it felt longer than an hour. Potentially in the top 5 for worst Wrestlemania main event matches?

• Paid Members

I remember watching Norton in a squash on Worldwide in '02-93 during the era of the over the top rope rule. He gave the jobber a knife-edge chop and the little guy flies out of the ring over the top rope. The ref admonishes Norton as Jesse is expounding the great strength of Norton. He was a monster of a man.

6) NJPW AJPW from the 90's I'd spend loads of money on tapes as I thought I was supposed to like this stuff but I didn't like it. I'd enjoy watching W*ing more.

90's Deathmatches were far more enjoyable than the 5* Misawa dances, at the time at least. The spectacle of Onitas batshit insane inventions mixed in with some great drama at times held my attention much better.

90's Japan is pretty much my favourite period in wrestling ever, and I usually struggle to get into stuff that's "before my time" as it tends to lack emotional context. But here there's just so much variety and so many great promotions floating around.

Just curious, is it just 90's Japan you can't get into or Japanese Wrestling in general ?

Oh I'm much more into Japanese wrestling in general these days, it was just back when I was tape collecting and the only thing that really took my fancy were the deathmatches and the odd Jr match.

Does anyone other than the WWE themselves like that Iron Man match? It never gets prasied outside of WWE's own DVDs etc.

Put me down for Iron Man Matches. I've never understood it. It's all mostly filler when you think about it. The only real story you can tell is towards the end which is trying to secure a vital decision that either gets the draw to initiate sudden death or getting a winning fall when the score's level.

I have always found the elimination chamber overrated, especially the first one. It was still decent, with the HBK return still a novelty and the MSG atmosphere, but I felt it was dull for long points. I think my favourite one was the one where HBK was the referee, it was a bit uncertain (to me at least) who was going to come out on top and it was pretty entertaining throughout. As ever, the gimmick has been over-used and watered down ever since. I thought early on it would have benefited from weapons being available inside the chamber but yeah, then the extreme elimination chamber was born...

Lucha Underground for me as well. I see it as having completely transcended the traditional production of wrestling to the point where it's just genre television with wrestling matches on it, like one of those bad sci fi shows that would be on Sky One before Heat and Metal on a Sunday morning years ago. Fine if you like it but it's not for me. I'm straight up horrified when people suggest it represents the future of wrestling production because if that's the future I want no part in it. I get that wrestling storylines are as kayfabe as Xena: Warrior Princess but the fact that it's filmed from such an awkward, weird space is what makes it unique to me. They still are trying to present it as if it's actually happening in the same world as you so you get sheer insanity like Kane using magic to set a camera man on fire but instead of it looking like ficitonal television it looks like this kitch attempt at being a real event. Eschew all that to have shitty film college level cinema bits? No thanks.

• Paid Members

I can take or leave Lucha Underground. I quite enjoy it when I watch it but I don't care if I miss it. It's different and I appreciate what they are trying to do. That genre of wrestling isn't particularly for me anyway.

It's certainly not boring or over-rated. The title of the thread is stupid though. It should be stuff that just doesn't float your boat. That's fine, each to their own.

I hate any match that has more than one-fall. I don't mean elimination matches, more like Iron-man, 2 out of 3 falls style. It's so hard to keep these unpredictable. Some are great matches don't get me wrong but the general gimmick of them I hate, how many 2 out of 3 falls matches actually finish 2-0? Takes me out of the suspense a bit during the 1-0 to 1-1 period as you kind of know what's going to happen.

I second Rick's shout on Last Man Standing matches, just no excitement while a referee counts to ten continually.

I hate any match that has more than one-fall. I don't mean elimination matches, more like Iron-man, 2 out of 3 falls style. It's so hard to keep these unpredictable. Some are great matches don't get me wrong but the general gimmick of them I hate, how many 2 out of 3 falls matches actually finish 2-0? Takes me out of the suspense a bit during the 1-0 to 1-1 period as you kind of know what's going to happen.

I second Rick's shout on Last Man Standing matches, just no excitement while a referee counts to ten continually.

I was watching Vader V Cactus Jack last night. they had a weird 30 second rest period then made the count. The refs cound and Gary Michael Capetta's count didn't match up either. 

The match was pretty brutal but the ref was counting both men at the last fall which didn't make sense. 

Archived