Fighters You Hate - Past & Present

L_E_T_H_A_L

We all have fighters we admire or love to watch - but who are the ones you can't stand?  

To get us kicked off, I'll dig out a couple of names from the past that I detest . . .

Tim Sylvia 

This awkward-looking gormless big bastard was the biggest punchline in MMA and made a joke of the UFC's heavyweight division in the 2000s. He got popped for 'roids in 2003 because he "wanted a six pack," and also derailed the career and killed the aura of Andrei Arlovski, a man I had pinned my hopes on as the saviour of UFC's heavyweight division in 2004-2006. 

I appreciate that Tim was a hard-hitter with a certain degree of talent, but I could never warm to him. When he was eventually dethroned as champion by Randy Couture at  UFC 68, I was elated - and the complete lack of class in the post-fight interview ("I came into the fight injured and thought I'd be OK and I wasn't") further cemented his place as the biggest piece of shit in the fight business at the time. Finally we had a champ that wouldn't walk about the supermarket with the UFC title around his waist or embarrass the UFC by not only appearing on the USA's version of Blind Date, but getting turned down by the girl (yes, that happened).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euRNF_WN6iw

When he lost to Nogueira at UFC 81, his own deluded sense of his worth to the UFC led to Dana White's refusal to yield to his financial demands, and I was able to watch with amusement as he was then allowed to leave the UFC and be murdered by Fedor in the short-lived Affliction promotion (although they paid him an absolute fortune) before being KO'd in 10 seconds by washed up boxer Ray Mercer, who was 47 at the time. This pretty much ended his career as a top level fighter and ensured he would thankfully never be back in the big time again.  

In recent times, he has struggled with weight-related medical issues which seem to have ended his career after a couple of failed medicals. I can sum up Tim Sylvia by stating that despite being a two-time UFC heavyweight champion in the early days of Zuffa, with some notable wins on his CV (Arlovski x2, Sims, Ricco Rodriguez) you never hear him spoken about as a legend, a pioneer or a legend the way you do with other former champions of that time. 

Matt Hughes 

First of all, I once loved Matt Hughes. He was my favourite fighter when I first started watching in 2002. There was so much to admire about him - his strength, heart and down-to-earth, laid back country boy attitude. His stunning powerbomb finish over Carlos Newton, two impressive submission victories over Frank Trigg (the second of which is one of my all-time favourite fights) sandwiched in between handing GSP his first career loss cemented him as the fucking man at that time. He then reached legendary status by beating Royce Gracie and displaying heart we had rarely seen in the octagon at that time to come back in the third round to defeat a prime BJ Penn after losing the first 2 rounds handily. 

Then, it became clear to me how much of a prick Hughes is. 

His holier-than-thou attitude as a coach on TUF2 and TUF6 (as well as telling Din Thomas "It's not like your lips are small" during an argument in TUF4 in a moment that would make Hulk Hogan blush) were the first real "uh-oh, my hero's actually a bit of a wank" revelations for me. But it was his conduct after Matt Serra shocked the world and won the WW title from GSP that turned me sour on him (standing in the front row laughing his arse off and screaming "I love it! I love it!" to imply that he had pretty much just become champion-elect). This descent from hero to absolute zero status was solidified in Hughes's 2008 autobiography Made In America. You have to actually read this fucking book to believe it. It's probably the biggest hatchet-job anyone has ever done to themselves via an autobiography. Here are just some of the revelations off the top of my head: 

• Stopped speaking to Randy Couture because Randy committed the crime of separating from his wife and seeing a new woman, until they made up in a "clear the air" private meeting. You know, because you need super-Christian Matt's blessing to commit the crime of separating from your wife. 
  • Hughes and his brother joyfully partake in the mutilation of farm animals, literally cutting parts from live pigs etc and throwing them at each other laughing while the animals are terrified and in obvious agony and distress in disgusting Hillbilly "food fights." 
  • Displays a total lack of humility (which was surprising given my initial impressions of him) and constantly ridicules other fighters, including, surprisingly, his then MFS team-mate and personal cheerleader Tim Sylvia, who he describes as a star-struck, simple man-child before snidely saying he is "proud of what he has since gone on to achieve." I'm not Tim's biggest fan, as you all now know, but that's harsh treatment of a supposed friend. 
  • Upon meeting his wife and taking her to bed, he asked her "What's your favourite colour?" When she then replied that it was green, he said "Me too!" and they've lived happily ever after. This leaves one with the lasting impression that our Matt is actually slightly retarded. Also, what if her favourite colour would have been red? Would he have murdered her or something? 
  • Constantly gets on his soapbox and spouts his Bible-thumping agenda matter-of-factly while looking down upon those who choose not to follow the same path. 

Post-autobiography. I was never able to look at Hughes in the same light - happily, this coincided with his decline as a fighter. After he was soundly defeated for the WW title at UFC 69 and dry-humped to death by GSP in their rubber match at UFC 79, he was never the same. A razor-thin decision win over Matt Serra (which I grumbled about at the time as I thought Serra won 2 rounds) and a stunning submission win over Ricardo Almeida were highlights in his post-prime years that saw him suffer devastating KO losses to Thiago Alves, BJ Penn and finally Josh Koscheck (who would have been mauled by a prime Hughes in 2005/2006). Watching Hughes vs Koscheck was a strange one - as a Man United fan I'd liken it to watching Arsenal and Liverpool play in the FA Cup Final. You can't decide who you detest more. 

To sum Hughes up: World class fighter, world class cunt. 

That'll do me for now - if the thread takes off, I'll post a couple more later on.   :)

• Paid Members

Hughes' book is mental. It's a weird mixture of revealing himself as the absolute cretin we all thought he was (probably worse than we thought he was actually) and preaching.

Wasn't there also something about how he met his wife that sounded dodgy as well? Am I imagining it or was there a bit in the book that said she was underage?

Hoger used to post on Sherdog forums years ago. He came across as a right prick, even worse than he came across on TUF 1. He compared his career to that of Randy Couture's at one point. I would like to think he was joking, but he didn't come across as the type. 

James McSweeney and Bobby Southworth both deserve a mention, especially the former. 

Wasn't there also something about how he met his wife that sounded dodgy as well? Am I imagining it or was there a bit in the book that said she was underage?

I think Hughes met her when she was younger, and they hooked up later in life. I seem to remember she had a kid with someone else. Hughes is a complete bellend, but I always loved to hate him. Some of my most enjoyable moments watching MMA was seeing him get humbled. Same with Sylvia. I could never feel empathy for him, but he was just a needy cretin. 

Brandon Vera

I'm interested in this one Herbie?

The only thing I have against Vera is unfulfilled expectations. From being billed as the "Heavyweight GSP" - and somewhat backing it up by demolishing Frank Mir with relative ease - his career faded afterwards and never really recovered. However, as a person, I've never had much of an issue with him. 

• Paid Members

Brandon Vera

I'm interested in this one Herbie?

The only thing I have against Vera is unfulfilled expectations. From being billed as the "Heavyweight GSP" - and somewhat backing it up by demolishing Frank Mir with relative ease - his career faded afterwards and never really recovered. However, as a person, I've never had much of an issue with him. 

He just annoys me. He's cocky, but under delivers. I remember in the Couture fight, he did fuck all - but then threw a combination and put his hands up in the air congratulating himself as if he'd just knocked someone out. And his post fight celebration is naff. And his face is shit.

• Paid Members

A mention for John Koppenhaver here. Piece of shit doesn't deserve the title "War Machine", regardless of his fucking deed poll name change; should have been taken off him by law, with any and all of his previous fights Benoit-ed off every DVD he was ever on.

Jon Jones. I never bought into the hype from day one. He was a Light heavyweight who had the reach of a Heavyweight and as such used it to clear out an ageing division, the second he faced somebody with the same reach as him (Gus) he got his ass handed to him only to keep the belt through some dodgy judges. UFC tried everything they could to make him their first mega star and he just blew chance after chance and now is sat out suspended (again) whilst McGregor and Rousey get to be what he should have been. Honestly he doesn't have any redeeming features for me, I would rather just not see him in the UFC, I hate him that much I wouldn't even take joy in watching him lose, I just want him gone.

And Tim Kennedy. He just comes across the biggest cock in the world.

And Dan Henderson, he's just a bully, he reminds of a bouncer, you know the type

Archived