Irrational Obsessions

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

A thread for discussing things that you love and why you love them, despite all know logic telling you they are shit/uncool.

I'm probably not explaining this particularly well, but as an example I have a stonking rod-on for Richard Nixon, he of Watergate fame. I ended up doing a degree in politics solely because I happened to pick up a biography of Nixon when I was 16 and ended up being fascinated. I must own about 20 books on him/his administration.

I've always had a passing interest in Watergate but never got into the meat & bones of it. Can you recommend a beginner's guide/pop-history type book on the subject to get me going?

From one Chilly to another, there is a 3 part series about Watergate on YouTube that's quite simple in it's explanation of the background leading to and during the scandal.

Awesome, that's my evening sorted  :thumbsup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another for me is free newspapers. I'm not talking about the Metro or the Standard, but if I find a proper paper on a train or lying around, I HAVE to take it (apart from Mail obvs)

This got so bad a few years back that whenever we used to take the girls to Chessington, I would have to walk over to the Holiday Inn next door because they would have a stack of Independents on display just so I could get one.

If I'm in a hotel and there are a stack of papers for the Breakfast room, you can rest assured at least ones getting jacked!

• Paid Members

Television and the history of it. I care far less about the actual programmes.

I get a little bit moist during old episodes of Bullseye when Jim Bowen announces people based on TV region; 'From Grampian, it's Reg and Lesley' (swoon).

Young adult Harry Potter fans, especially Americans. I was friends with a few in the Harry Potter society at uni. You sneer, but most of them ended up fucking each other. And that was before the Americans turned up in January - considering they came to a country where they could now legally drink, they were all effectively celebrating their 18th birthdays the entire time. I'm pretty sure they all ended up screwing each other.

Or so the story goes. I was such a drip at uni that I never bothered joining to find out, because it would have been too suspicious if I turned up to a Harry Potter meeting with more Johnny's than a Mafia orphanage a matter of days after hearing about how debauched the lot of them were.

• Paid Members

Im obsessed by the later non successful periods of singers and bands i will seek out an album of say chuck berry from 1979 or a 1995 album of a 60s band i have no reasoning for this other than maybe hoping for a rare gem! It rarley happens tho

• Paid Members

Im obsessed by the later non successful periods of singers and bands i will seek out an album of say chuck berry from 1979 or a 1995 album of a 60s band i have no reasoning for this other than maybe hoping for a rare gem! It rarley happens tho

I'm currently nurturing an interest in Mike Love, who's responsible for some of the most horrendous late Beach Boys material, and massive tit. 

I was friends with a few in the Harry Potter society at uni. You sneer, but most of them ended up fucking each other.

Can confirm.

I'd say Harry Potter is an obsession insofar as I'm a walking encyclopedia on that shit and I'd have no problem talking with fans in real life about our respective house traits as if it was a real thing. Harry Potter is incredibly populist though and I'm not sure how irrational that makes it. I'm not sure where to draw the line on the thread, I'd like to think of any genuinly irrational obsessions I have so I'll say Depeche Mode.

My favourite band who I've seen a bunch of times, yes, but I also collect, discuss and analyse their history in that way only those most die hard German weirdos do who answer the door to you all crew cut and muscles with a nice hot fräulein but betray their emotional outlet when they show you their massive Depeche collection in the basment which extends to hanging, framed photographs of Martin Gore wearing a black leather dress from the mid eighties in that same way a lot of British blokes seem to use Morrissey as a conduit to unleash their soppy side.

Archived