Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Lovato Jnr remains MW champion for now - https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/douglas-lima-wants-gegard-mousasi-vacant-bellator-middleweight-title-fight

However, Lima's team are petitioning to fight Mousasi for the title should it be vacated - https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/douglas-lima-wants-gegard-mousasi-vacant-bellator-middleweight-title-fight

Edited by jimufctna24

I'm in two minds over a potential Moose vs Lima fight. On one hand, I don't want Lovato to be stripped of the belt. It's sad what has happened to him and he came across as a genuinely nice bloke on Rogan's podcast. Moreover, in the event that Lima wins the vacated title, we would be left with yet another double champ, which in turn, would hold up either division. This would mean that the likes of Larkin, Amosov, Salter, etc would possibly have to wait in line for a title shot. 

On the other hand. Moose vs Lima is a mouth-watering match-up. And if Mousasi was to win another big name would be added to his record. 

Oh, and I think Karyn Bryant loves Moose even more than I do - https://twitter.com/KarynBryant/status/1223423409339555840

Edited by jimufctna24

An in-depth look at Bellator's finances - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/6/20893601/an-in-depth-look-at-bellators-finances

TLDR: After operating at a loss for the entirety of its existence, the promotion is now seemingly profitable. They had a positive net income in 2019 and are expected to be even more profitable in 2020. 

This information is admittedly very mundane to read. Nonetheless, it's great news for the sport. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
On 2/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Remember when Joe Rogan used to creepily lust over Tyson Griffin’s thick arse and thighs on commentary years ago?

Me watching this...

236004B5-E382-4882-8D3C-540724767AA5.gif

Edit - Valerie ain’t bad either, tbf.

Valerie wants her some Gamebred.

Lima and MacFarlene have signed long-term extensions with Bellator - https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-ReSigns-Champs-Douglas-Lima-IlimaLei-Macfarlane-to-MultiYear-Extensions-169967

That's a good move by Bellator. Lima and MacFarlene are two of their best homegrown stars. 

Edit:

Edited by jimufctna24

I like that Mousasi is talking like this. But really, by now, he should have solidified his place as one of the middleweight GOATs. 

The problem has always been that he simply doesn't care enough about fighting. In his youth, Gegard looked on as his mentor, Fedor, ran his own training camps and called his own shots while doing so. What Mousasi, and many others, did not understand was that this mindset was slowly leading to Fedor's downfall. Fedor had been on the decline since 2006, it just took a few years longer for perception to catch up with reality. 

Mousasi, who hates being away from his farm in Holland, followed Fedor's example and consequently didn't spread his wings as much as probably should have done. This has cost him results. He has the talent, good god does he have the talent. This is a guy who beat a K1 Heavyweight Champion under kickboxing rules, drained Weidman gas tank with his defensive grappling and subsequently made him quit on the spot, and breezed through Babalu like it was nothing.

But his talent hasn't always been maximised fully. He's needed someone to prepare him properly for fights, make sure he is doing everything right, and to be frank, give him a good kick up the arse at times. His losses have often come because he's either turned up to fights with the wrong strategy, or simply in no mood to fully extend himself. He therefore remains in what he calls "sleeping mode", becomes overwhelmed by his opponent, and lets fights slip from his grasp. He really should have done what Horiguchi did after losing to Mighty Mouse in 2015 - move out of his comfort zone, and to a legitimate gym like ATT, Jacksons, or AKA. Had he done so, it probably would have been him who ended the Anderson Silva's era - as I have little doubt that he had the talent to follow through with the gameplan that Bisping, Weidman, etc followed to beat Silva. 

Can he beat Lima? Sure. Bader? That's a tough one for him. Nemkov? Who knows. But I just hope he hasn't left it all too late. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Bellator 241 on March 13th is looking very good on paper:

Patricio Freire vs. Pedro Carvalho (FW title)

Emmanuel Sanchez vs. Daniel Weichel (FW GP Quarter Final)

Paul Daley vs. Sabah Homasi

Josh Barnett vs. Ronny Markes

Fabio Aguiar vs. Anatoly Tokov

Two of my boys in Barnett and Tokov. 

Edited by jimufctna24