Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

what do you think Bellator's plan with Gallagher will be going forward? he's a headliner attraction for the promotion but they've clearly pumped the brakes on him making any massive leaps forward. To think the plan before the Bandejas loss was to have him matchup with AJ McKee. Looking at that matchup now, it would have been a bad, bad night for Gallagher. I guess there's no rush and the Irish public are still coughing up to see him fight no matter who the opponent. A rematch with Bandejas in Dublin if they both win in Feb. is a no brainer though isnt it?

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

what do you think Bellator's plan with Gallagher will be going forward? he's a headliner attraction for the promotion but they've clearly pumped the brakes on him making any massive leaps forward. To think the plan before the Bandejas loss was to have him matchup with AJ McKee. Looking at that matchup now, it would have been a bad, bad night for Gallagher. I guess there's no rush and the Irish public are still coughing up to see him fight no matter who the opponent. A rematch with Bandejas in Dublin if they both win in Feb. is a no brainer though isnt it?

I think you answered your own question, Ebb. 

GAD floated the idea of Gallagher fighting Horiguchi last year. I got a laugh out of that one.

• Paid Members

Paul Daley’s been fired from his Bellator analyst gig. 

CE02-C57-D-CE19-438-A-B173-EB38879-A2-C5

Hasn’t been confirmed what the reason is but it’s most likely because he’s been critical of Bellator’s matchmaking of MVP. 

”This is ridiculous. You can’t continually beat these kinds of opponents. Yes, he knocks them out, but he’s expected to knock them out. What does this prove, the fact that he knocked out a guy nobody will remember? It proves nothing. It proves nothing at all. Why didn’t he do that to me? Why didn’t he do that to Douglas Lima? Because he’s not of that calibre.”

I mean, he’s right. But when you’re doing the pundit job, knocking your employer and burying the talent is never going to fly, is it? 

• Paid Members

Yeah he wasn’t a guy I’d have ever thought of to move into an analyst position but I quite liked the bits I saw of him in that role. Typical Semtex though. Just can’t get out of his own way. He’s been talking about retiring soon and this pundit gig would’ve been a natural transition into a nice little post-fight career. Now that’s gone up in smoke because he can’t reign himself in. It’s not as bad as when he was saying ‘cunt’ on Sky Sports but it’s another head scratcher. 

A few ramblings about Bellator before the new season kicks off properly.

- For me, the biggest disappointment going into 2020 is that we won't get to see Kyoji Horiguchi fight in the Bellator cage. Horiguchi actually prefers fighting in the cage to the ring. He's a distance striker, and thus the cage, with its size and absent of hard edges, works to his advantage. With the information that has recently leaked out that he fought Caldwell rematch with a bad knee, which meant he could barely strike, it seems a shame that we won't get to see Horiguchi's striking game in a setting it theoretically works best. And moreover, if a gifted fighter like Caldwell could not beat Horiguchi in a setting that hypothetically gave him an advantage (the ring), and additionally under very favourable circumstances (as above, Horiguchi fought the rematch injured), then I think it speaks volumes about how great a fighter Horiguchi is. Which, of course, further adds to the disappointment that we won't get to see him fight this year. 

- Adam Borics vs. Darrion Caldwell and Ed Ruth vs Yaroslav Amosov are the two fights I am most looking forward to in the next month or so. Bellator doesn't half have some great talent on its roster. They just get overshadowed by Bellator's insistence to run too many shows, which waters down their product, and Coker's tendency to highlight ageing UFC/Pride retreads. I make these observations purely from my position as a viewer, I understand that Bellator are ultimately running a business. 

- Nemkov vs Bader will be one hell of fight if Bellator decides to book it. However, while there is no sporting reason why it should not happen next, I still harbour a few reservations about it. Nemkov is one of my favourite fighters in the entire game. Whereas Bader, after years of being indifferent to him, has also become a favourite of mine. Therefore, for the sake of not having one of my favourites suffer a crushing defeat, I kinda hope Bader changes tact and decides to stay at heavyweight permanently. I'm also not confident that Nemkov can beat Bader. The latter has evolved into a much more seasoned fighter in recent years. He was killing Kongo before the eye-poke incident.

- The rematch between Moose and Lovato should be quality. If Mousasi loses, and subsequently retires, Tokov will become my main man at 185lbs. Here is a highlight reel of his in case anyone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_oG_JkQDes&t=130s

- Coker says that Barnett is a strong candidate to fight Fedor next. I actually don't mind that fight. Despite my above complaint about Coker booking too many UFC/Pride retreads, my problem is more with the quantity of them. I can live with Fedor having another fight, or with Barnett having a final run at heavyweight should he have enough left in the tank. I just don't want to see the likes of Sonnen, Nelson, and Rampage on my screen anymore. Neither do I want the promotion to book Thomson vs Melendez 4. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Interesting development:

From Sherdog:

Some changes are on the horizon for Bellator MMA.

According to a report from Variety, the California-based promotion will now report to Showtime Sports president Stephen Espinoza. The move comes in conjunction with the recent merger between Viacom, Bellator’s parent company, and CBS.

Scott Coker will remain president of Bellator but will now report to Espinoza, who is in charge of boxing for Showtime. Espinoza was a prominent figure during the lead-up Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match in 2017, often clashing with UFC president Dana White and the Irish fighter.

At the moment, it is unclear if this will result in a change in broadcast plans for Bellator, which currently airs on Paramount Network and Dazn. The report has fueled speculation that the promotion could eventually move to Showtime or CBS. Nothing has been decided at the moment, however.

Strikeforce, which was previously led by Coker before being bought by Zuffa and merging into the UFC, aired on Showtime before shuttering its doors.

• Paid Members

Heard John Morgan mention this a few weeks ago on his Roadshow podcast. Never mentioned Espinoza but he did mention a switch to Showtime from Paramount. Bellator is the only sports program on Paramount and hasnt been doing well on there.