Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

any thoughts on Daley/MacDonald?

i can't see Rory even entertaining the thought of getting into another Robbie Lawler-esque war so i see him attempting to drag this to the ground. Would be a tad disappointing if Daley is dominated like that but that's how i see it going.

It's how I see it going too. Rory is massive compared to Daley who for me looks more like a lightweight by today's standards. I see him being taken down at will, but you certainly can't count Daley out.

Ā 

38 minutes ago, mim731 said:

With Dana White no longer in quite the same level of power as previously in the UFC under the new owners, what do we reckon are the chances of Daley getting another shot in the UFC at some stage?

Who knows, but I would to see him back in the UFC. What he did wasn't even that bad. Mistakes happen in the heat of the moment.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

It does seem odd to me that Daley should be so long out in the cold when Jon "Cunt" Jones has been given reprieve after reprieve for worse offences.

• Paid Members

They keptĀ alleged woman batterers Thiago Silva, Rumble Johnson, Travis Browne and Abel TrujilloĀ employedĀ as well.Ā They gave Jeremy Stephens the benefit of the doubt for his part in him andĀ his mate beating some bloke half to death too. There's been so many worse scumbags in the UFC who they've kept around. Daley gives Koscheck a smack and gets banned for life? It's ridiculous. Yeah it was wrong but it was nothing compared to what others have done. Fuck, Nick Diaz tried to punch GSP a couple of times after the bell in their fight and it was barely even mentioned. Things like that go on sometimes in fighting when you get tempers flare. It's unfortunate but it's not the end of the world. I think the main reason Dana massively overreacted is because Daley basically shrugged his shoulders when Dana tried to bollock him in the cage immediately after the incident. That's what seemed to bother Dana more than the punch itself. It's petty shit and it's been 7Ā bastard years.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

As much as i'd have loved to have seen Semtex back in the UFC, i don't feel as a fan that it harmed me enjoying the career he's gone on to have, he's still created a highlight reel legacy. Tomorrow will be his 22nd post-UFC MMA fight, i think ive seen all of them and its still been great fun following him.

• Paid Members

Definitely. He's had some really good fights and some of the best knockouts I've ever seen sinceĀ being sacked by the UFC in 2010. It's been fun.Ā 

At the same time though, I'd love to see him back in the UFC. He'd instantly strengthen those UK/European cards butĀ he's alsoĀ the type of guy who wouldn't be out of place on a PPV main card. Exciting in the cage, never at a loss for words and will trash talk and hype a fight up. He's a boost to any MMA promotion. I'm hoping that now the UFC is under new ownership they can come to some agreement to bring him back next time he's available to negotiate. As fun as he's been in Bellator, it'd be a shame if his career ends without him ever getting back to the UFC. Tell me you wouldn't piss yourself with excitement if a Paul Daley vs Robbie Lawler fight was booked in the UFC? Or Daley vs Cerrone. Or Daley vs Wonderboy. Or Matt Brown. Or Mike Perry. The possibilities are almost endless whereas after this Rory fight, he's pretty much fought everyone I'm interested in seeing him againstĀ in Bellator. I'd kill to see him fight Lorenz Larkin as well actually but after that?Ā 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Definitely. He's had some really good fights and some of the best knockouts I've ever seen sinceĀ being sacked by the UFC in 2010. It's been fun.Ā 

At the same time though, I'd love to see him back in the UFC. He'd instantly strengthen those UK/European cards butĀ he's alsoĀ the type of guy who wouldn't be out of place on a PPV main card. Exciting in the cage, never at a loss for words and will trash talk and hype a fight up. He's a boost to any MMA promotion. I'm hoping that now the UFC is under new ownership they can come to some agreement to bring him back next time he's available to negotiate. As fun as he's been in Bellator, it'd be a shame if his career ends without him ever getting back to the UFC. Tell me you wouldn't piss yourself with excitement if a Paul Daley vs Robbie Lawler fight was booked in the UFC? Or Daley vs Cerrone. Or Daley vs Wonderboy. Or Matt Brown. Or Mike Perry. The possibilities are almost endless whereas after this Rory fight, he's pretty much fought everyone I'm interested in seeing him againstĀ in Bellator. I'd kill to see him fight Lorenz Larkin as well actually but after that?Ā 

100% agree with this Wand. He's been pretty much a highlight on every card I've seen him on since his UFC run, and definitely doesn't need to go back to define his career, BUT there are so many fresh, exciting match upsĀ for him in the UFC, and with Dana no longer perhaps wielding the same stroke as he did under Zuffa, I'm hoping we see him get another go-round. He could be a real asset for the UFC in theĀ UK, especially after Bisping retires, when they will need another UK based draw outside of Manuwa.Ā 

• Paid Members

True, I didn't even think of the Bisping thing. He's probably only got a handful of fights left and he doesn't fight in the UK that much anyway these days.Ā 

At a time now when the UFC are holding so many cards, you'd think they would want someone like Paul Daley around. There aren't many guys outside the UFC who have some name value, an exciting fighting style, one punch KO power and the personality (like him or hate him) like Daley does. If they never bring him back they're just cutting off their nose to spite their face. And over something so trivial in the grand scheme of things that nobody gives a shit about 7 years after the fact anyway. Except Dana and his fragile ego.Ā 

Its not like Daley will make a massive difference to the UFC business wise. They don't NEED him. But it allĀ just seems so silly. If they bring him back nobody's going to riot because he gave Koscheck a dig in the head 7 years ago. Who among us wouldn't want to smack that frizzy haired twat?Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

If DaleyĀ had goneĀ on absolute tear outside of the UFC, then Dana would have changed his tune veryĀ quickly. Say if he had cleaned up in Strikeforce, or held a Bellator title for an extended period of time.Ā 

Even now, If a slot opened up on a UK card, I am willing to bet that the UFC would book Daley to fill it if he was available. Dana brought back Tito Ortiz in late 2009. This may not sound that significant now, but at the time, it beggared belief given the feud between the two. Dana will drop a grudge and abandon his morals if there is money to be made.

• Paid Members

Daley likely didnt do himself favour run-wise because he's taken very tough fights outside of the UFC, i credit him for that though.Ā 

Bellator no doubt values Daley and see's where they can use his popularity to sell these shows, i imagine he's getting well looked after.

• Paid Members

If you haven't watched it yet....

Ā 

****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

Ā 

Ā 

So there's me sayingĀ Daley served his time and the UFC should take him back when he's available and here he isĀ nearly getting into a brawl with MVP at cageside.Ā 

Rory just outclassed Daley. Like others on hereĀ I had a feeling Rory's grappling would be the difference maker but I didn't think he'd make it look quite that easy. I think Rory beats Lima or Larkin pretty comfortably as well, to be honest.Ā 

RoryĀ sayingĀ "I'm going to take your health" was chilling. There's still that sinister vibe off him. Even though I've listened to him on Rogan's podcast where he seemed really nice and normal. There's just something there lurking behind the eyes where if someone told me Rory had 3 and a half dead bodies in the deep freeze next to his Ben & Jerry's, I'd believe them.Ā 

Nice to seeĀ Baby Slice get the win. Cool littleĀ moment and he seems almost asĀ likeable as his old man.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That was pretty great from Rory. The second round in particular was beautiful to watch. Just enough Striking to get Daley thinking about it, then before he knows it he's on his back. Daley was ultra disappointing. Still gets my goat that there'sĀ this 'He didn't stand with me, the pussy' mentality some fighters have. It's fucking MMA. If you want your opponent to only stand with you, then go Kickbox.

The stuff with Page at the end was smart though. He needed something after such a lacklustre performance.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Daley has said silly shit like that before but to be fair, on this occasion IĀ think that was more in response to Jimmy Smith going "Rory did stand and fight you. Were you surprised by that?", or something like that. Smith made it sound like Rory stood and traded with him then took him down. Which he just didn't. It was clear what Rory's gameplan was, he stood with Daley only long enoughĀ until he could get the takedown. HeĀ fought in the perfect way to beat Daley. It wasn't boring, he showed skill and he got the finish. But he didn't "stand and fight" Daley the way Smith implied, nothing wrong with that but he just didn't. And aside from that, I thoughtĀ Daley gave Rory a lot of credit.Ā 

I think Daley beats MVP ifĀ that fight happens as well. I'veĀ got a feeling people will mostly be picking MVP in that one because he does flashy shit and Daley just got schooled. But Daley got schooled by Rory who's an elite welterweight who could be UFC champion right now. He's that good. Fuck, he absolutely dominated the current UFC welterweight champ when they fought. And MVP...I don't know. I'm not that convinced by him. When I see him do to a Daley or Lima or Larkin etc what he's been doing to these lower level guys, I'll start believing the hype. But I've got a feeling he's getting hurt when he steps up to that level.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah, I thought about that last night when he kept calling MVP a pussy. Surprised 5 didn't censor that given that it was on a delay and they had time. Then again, it's Channel 5. Home of weird documentariesĀ and all sorts of late night grot back in the glory days. They were probably tittering like little school kids when he said pussy.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09