The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread *MMA Edition*

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

i saw Yvel ringside at a recent event, can't remember what one though. What an absolute legend of the game. If anyone ever fancies going back and watching through a fun, old fightography they may not have ever seen, Yvel's has to be the one.

• Paid Members

I think a lot more people got into MMA because of Ken Shamrock than he’s given credit for. Especially pro wrestling fans who crossed over. I know I first became aware of MMA when Ken came into the WWF in 1997. And while I can’t stand Tito, I think those two don’t get the credit they deserve for helping keep the UFC afloat when they were dying a death when the Fertittas took over and were losing money hand over fist. Dana and co always heaped all the praise on TUF 1 and the Griffin vs Bonnar final for “saving the UFC” and it was a massive turning point. But I’m really not convinced they’d have even made it to 2004 if it wasn’t for the Lion’s Den vs Tito rivalry. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the UFC have re-written it's own history to eliminate certain people's contributions really. It's often forgotten that Shamrock fought Rich Franklin in the main event of the Griffin/Bonnar TUF Finale too, so it's probably Shamrock's involvement that attracted a lot of casual viewers who then saw Griffin/Bonnar. The UFC always like to spin the 'people were calling their mates and telling them to switch on the TV' narrative, but anyone who didn't see TUF probably tuned in to see Ken Shamrock fight on free TV.

Shamrock is Mount Rushmore for me in terms of MMA pioneers, he's a big reason I took an interest back in the day (in and around UFC 40). His MMA career is fascinating too. Excluding his Pancrase fights which i've never really seen and that weird ruleset, there's fuckery or controversy in all of Shamrock's fights. Go and look through his record, it's absolutely bonkers. Injuries, heart attacked, dives, early finishes. It was never straight forward for Shamrock.

• Paid Members

Shamrock absolutely played a huge role for me too. Like most here, I was a wrestling fan first and foremost. Ken Shamrock was the entry way. The series with Tito, the fight with Franklin etc, it shouldn't be understated how important those things were to the rebirth of the UFC, nevermind starting on his contributions to the early growth of the sport. 

Like you all say, he's been glossed over, but I, like countless others, will have came for Ken - but stayed for Tito, Chuck, Randy, Franklin, Hughes, BJ, George's, Griffin and Bonnar etc. 

His whole life story is mental. The latest Biography that was written about him really goes into all the nuts and bolts of it and it beggars belief that the man is still six feet above ground. Well worth a read for anyone that hasn't already. 

Edited by WeeAl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...