WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Assassins Creed IV. Anyone else finding the ship battles difficult? Whenever I go into battle with a ship whether it's for looting or assassination contract, I always end up having to battle 2 or 3 other ships at the same time and I just get battered. I'm getting a little fed up with it.

• Paid Members

You just need to upgrade your ship from the sounds of things. Get a hull upgrade so you take less damage and then gradually get yourself better cannons and you should be alright.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah with a better hull you'll be able to wait them out and destroy them. My tactic is to circle around your targets as much as possible. A good mortar cannon helps too, you'll be able to get in a good bit of damage before they are near enough to reply.

I've done some upgrading and I've just read about the heavy shot so I'll give that a go. It's more when I'm trying to take on more than 2 ships at once and I'm getting shot from all angles.

The key thing, especially when you've not yet upgraded quite a bit, is to not be too ambitious about which ships you target. Even with a decent mid-level ship you're going to struggle against more than one ship (unless they're gunboats) so be patient and wait until you find one on it's own or straggling at the back of the pack. I think it took me until I had upgraded to the final hull armour before elite and sixteen side cannons before I could confidently take a group of more than one decent sized ship, etc. With the elite hull armour upgrade I've only just managed to take down my first man o' war.

The heavy shot is great, and remember to use the swivels when prompted after using the heavy shot. Also a good tactic to use is to concentrate on one ship, board it when you've weakened it enough, which'll give you a breather and will allow you to repair the Jackdaw once you've taken the ship and so you'll then be ready to take on the second ship. Earlier on when I had a weaker ship, the best thing I did was to explore the map and find more places with warehouses to raid, as early on this'll give you an easier way to get some wood, metal and money to be able to get the first few upgrades you'll need.

• Paid Members
Got my hands on pikmin for the wii u,

My god its good, i never played any of the other titles but im in love with this one, i felt bad when i left them pikmin to die the other day.

Pikmin 3 is fantastic, and despite lack of online the multiplayer is some of the best any console has to offer. Pikmin 1 is still great to this day, but in my eyes Pikmin 2 suffered the same way Metroid Prime 2 did in that it mistook improvement for completely changing things up and suffered because of it. A lot of backtracking in Pikmin 2.

• Paid Members

My god its good, i never played any of the other titles but im in love with this one, i felt bad when i left them pikmin to die the other day.

Pikmin 3 is fantastic, and despite lack of online the multiplayer is some of the best any console has to offer. Pikmin 1 is still great to this day, but in my eyes Pikmin 2 suffered the same way Metroid Prime 2 did in that it mistook improvement for completely changing things up and suffered because of it. A lot of backtracking in Pikmin 2.

The whole "day" idea is magic, having to work out one last trip to get fruit or get home adds a nice edge to it. I will deffo be getting the dlc when i finish it

• Paid Members

The whole "day" idea is magic, having to work out one last trip to get fruit or get home adds a nice edge to it. I will deffo be getting the dlc when i finish it

Pikmin 1 is much more unforgiving in that you only have 30 days to complete the game, so every day counts and if you don't find all the missing ship bits then tough tits.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it that every Fifa game every year in career mode there's a bug that makes it unplayable? This year, I can't leave the club I'm managing to take over another club. I've been at Wigan for two seasons, got promoted to the PL in my first and finished mid table in the second. I've even won the world cup with Uruguay, yet I've had no offers at all from other clubs and when ever I apply for a vacant one, no matter which team it is I'm constantly being turned down.

I'm bored of Wigan now, and consequently the whole game in general.

On a different subject, on the PS4 which games (other than sports games) are local 2 player? I was surprised to find out that Killzone is only one player. My second controller is gathering dust.

• Paid Members

I picked up Max Payne 3 the other month and finally started playing it.

God he's a whingy little fucker isn't he. I just want him to cheer up or fuck off as a character.

The first one was great, the character and setting all felt gritty and it just sat well with what was cool and in at the time, that gritty setting and anti hero felt fresh. And the story of the first one meant being such a troubled a grim downer made sense and added to him as a character.

Now he just feels like the most miserable cunt on earth and you have to lumber him about while you listen to his internal monologue moan and bitch about everything.

The games fun once I switch off from what a drag Max Payne himself is.

How does the first one hold up these days, worth digging out and replaying?

On a different subject, on the PS4 which games (other than sports games) are local 2 player? I was surprised to find out that Killzone is only one player. My second controller is gathering dust.

Off the top of my head Lego Marvel and Skylanders Swap Force and Injustice, Gods Amongst Us bar the obvious sports games. Local multiplayer is a dying feature sadly.

And Max Payne 3 was absolute tosh, hated that game, glad I got it at Steam sale price rather than full price.

Edited by windoesnot

• Awards Moderator

It's FIFTEEN YEARS since the first Silent Hill game came out on PlayStation.

If you're able, go back and play it. It looks like a pile of shit but it's still fucking terrifying. The pacing is so unsettling and the sound direction pushes you over the edge.

Here's a good (but short) retrospective article from Eurogamer.

It's FIFTEEN YEARS since the first Silent Hill game came out on PlayStation.

If you're able, go back and play it. It looks like a pile of shit but it's still fucking terrifying. The pacing is so unsettling and the sound direction pushes you over the edge.

Here's a good (but short) retrospective article from Eurogamer.

The first Silent Hill was fantastic. A lot more atmospheric than other games in the same genre. Still one of my all time favorite games. Will likely pick it up once i finish Final Fantasy IX.

Edited by truthofsin