Royal Rumble 2016 Discussion & Ramblings

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Working my way through the Rumbles to get some new stats for this year's thread. (Give me a shout if you fancy helping out by the way - if you're planning to watch some anyway and fancy scribbling down some bits of information)

Thought I'd start a thread for randome rumble observations.

* Mentioned in the Random thread how odd the decision to have Studd win in 1989 was but Ian came up with a reasonable explanation although hindsight still makes it look shocking.

* Hercules "I'm going to win the Rumble Royal" interview a year later is amusing.

* 1991 has an odd moment. Haku attacks Mr. Perfect saving Hulk Hogan from elimination. I know they liked to throw in some "anything can happen when it's every man for himself" type stuff but this one is ludicrous. They're both in the Heenan family and Heenan hates Hogan. Plus there are loads of people who Haku could have attacked instead.

* There is a cool bit when Brian Knobbs enters and runs around giving everyone a quick shot. they then all gang up and beat the ever loving shit out of him. Sadly they don't chuck him, they just get bored and wander off.

* I'm always amused by the many spots where a wrestler grabs someone behind to leave him open for some punches but the uy he's holding them for gets distracted or attacked and they're just left hanging.

* When the camera pans to the curtain in 1991 and no-one enters at #18 (because Randy Savage has left after costing the Warrior the title) you can see Road Warrior Animal's boot through the curtain. Shockingly, Animal then comes out at #19.

* Seems odd now that Gorilla kept going on about Bushwacker Luke having the record for the shortest entry (when Quake chucked him in 1991). Obviously they didn't want to admit Warlord lasted 1 or 2 seconds in 1989. So why do it?

* Monsoon has a mad moment in 1992 where he calls Ric Flair "Rick Martel" for a few sentances. It's like his slipped into 1991 for some reason.

* Is it just me or do the crowd really boo Nikolai Volkoff in 1992 despite him being a face? Also Monsoon seems delighted when he goes out and quips about how long he lasted or rather didn't last.

Add your own ramblings. Oh, and if anyone fancies having an educated guess at the weight of every wrestler who ever entered the Royal Rumble, let me know!

• Paid Members

Oh, forgot. In 1998, there are like four or five members of the nation in the Rumble at the same time. They go out of their way to fight each other rather than teaming up. I know there was dissension between Faarooq and Rock at times but was this part of a storyline or is it just booking that makes them look stupid?

I absolutely love Monsoon's call of the Volkoff elimination. Gorilla was hilarious at subtley (or inadvertently) burying people six feet deep. "Huh....he didn't last long did he?"

Always annoyed me how they retrospectively said Shawn Michaels superkicked Diesel to help get him over the top rope in the 1994 Rumble when everybody was piling on Big D. A photo in WWF Magazine the year before told a different story, dammit, there was no superkick.

Vince's call of "Dick Murdoch is going to WrestleMania" in 95 will live forever with me, just for the sheer gall of how gullible he thought people are.

Mark Henry's elimination in 1998 was horrendous. Always thought the Nation fighting each other was kinda dumb since it took the treachery out of Rock eliminating Faarooq. What are you complaining about, Ron?

I don't know why, but I always get a chuckle out of the "dumb as a box of rocks" look on Dino Bravo's face when Valentine attacks him early in the 1991 Rumble. As if his feelings have been personally hurt and he can't compute the double-cross he's just received in the form of an axhandle. Anything that makes Bravo look dumb I tend to enjoy. 

Alex Riley getting eliminated when he wasn't supposed to in 2011 is very funny repeat viewing. All you have to do it stay in the ring, dipshit. That's it. Watching him fall out in such an undignified and ungraceful manner gives me visions of Vince's head sinking backstage that I just find hard not to enjoy.

• Paid Members

Quick stat, which I'm not sure if Rick usually includes. Of the 24 winners (including both Hart & Luger in 94):

22 went on to get a WWF/WWE/World title shot at WrestleMania.

14 of the title shots were in the last scheduled match at WrestleMania.

13 went on to win the title at WrestleMania.

(Stat subject to miscounting)

Some people also claimed that both of Michaels feet touched the floor in the '95 match.

I can't remember which Rumble match but there was a moment when Goldust got punched and he literally turned around and threw himself over the top rope. It almost looked as stupid as the Big Boss Man from the '92 Rumble when he was teetering over the top rope and you could see him trying to nudge himself over it.

Oh! The Bossman's 92 elimination is utterly amazing. Flies through the air seamlessly, gets all fucking awkward as he tries to force gravity's hand, to which Mother Nature says "alright then, motherfucker", and Bossman gets one of the worst cases of whiplash ever on the bottom rope and then just sinks to the ground, a defeated, fat man.

• Paid Members

Alex Riley getting eliminated when he wasn't supposed to in 2011 is very funny repeat viewing. All you have to do it stay in the ring, dipshit. That's it. Watching him fall out in such an undignified and ungraceful manner gives me visions of Vince's head sinking backstage that I just find hard not to enjoy.

Commentary entirely miss this too, don't they? And about 10 minutes later, someone effectively pipes up with "Hang on, where's Alex Riley?"

• Paid Members

There are some terrible eliminations. Particularly from clotheslines. One funny one is Model and Piper in '92 where they both get pushed over by Sid. They both lean over the top rope in position and then remember to fight each other to make it look convincing.

I watched 2002 back a few days ago, one of my favourites. If only for the supreme return of Mr Perfect, but it also had that shocker of Maven punting the Undertaker out (that was a nasty neck-caught-on-bottom-rope spot too). Great moment and reactions, and of course the battering young Mave took afterwards.

• Paid Members

Best elimination is Taka in 2000.

Best entrance is one of the MSP garrotting themselves on the bottom rope in 2000.

There have been better rumbles but those two moments still tickle me.

With Taka I think it's Lawler's sell more than anything.

Archived