WCW Memories and Matches

Michael_3165

With all the negativity around the final days of WCW and the current WWE product often being stale and lacking in star power I wanted to find out what your favourite memories and matches of WCW were. I am looking for some matches to watch on the Network but find the abundance of Savage, Hogan, Flair, Hart, Sting, DDP et al makes it hard to pick out the best from the not so good...

1) I really loved the Bret Hart/Goldberg angle, especially Hart outsmarting Goldberg with the steel plate under his hockey jersey. It felt different and gave Goldberg a more vulnerable side which I felt he lacked through his initial run. The pay off, and subsequent retirement of Hart put to one side it thought it was one of the better angles for Goldberg. Unlike some I do not believe his streak did him many favours in the long term purely because his matches became predictable. 

2) WCW sets were often amazing! Halloween Havoc, Spring Stampede and others were inventive and I miss the days where I would tune in to see what crazy entrance the WCW crew had thought up. I loved the idea of a show on the beach even though it didn't help crowd interaction or the noise they made. This is also true of some of the nitro shows; nitro with a pool, nitro in a mall, the final nitro. 

3) DDP vs Goldberg (Halloween Havoc 1998) - the famous match that didn't air is perhaps the best match I have seen of Goldberg. Sure it was not a great match in history of the business but I was pleasantly surprised. 

4) Hogan vs Sting (Starrcade 1997) build up. Sure the match and ending were pretty crap but the build was epic, with Sting dropping from the rafters, attacking the NWO and freaking out Hogan. Much better than the year build to Rock vs Cena where neither man had any conflict for 10 of the 12 months. 

5) Crazy Old Man Flair promos. I will always remember the mad promos that the Nature Boy put out in the Monday Night War era. Stand outs for me include the promo on Eric Bischoff where he gets to his boxers, jumps about and drops an elbow on his clothes! 

Matches would be good but what are your favourites... 

Sorry but the Goldberg Bret angle did nothing for Goldberg, Bret came out and left as the hero when he was a heel, and goldberg was left lying And with bret leaving had no opportunity for revenge. Wasn't going anywhere to draw money, and weakened top baby face......we should see this on raw again soon

Beach Blast 92 - (Cactus v Sting, Rude v Steamboat & Steiners v Doc / Gordy)

Spring Stampede 94 - (good card)

Uncensored 96 - (if only for Regal v Finlay – a hush descends on the crowd, as the pair beat the living shit out of each other. Nobody really seems to know what to make of it. Probably my favourite WCW match).

Starrcade 96 (unspectacular, but solid show)

Bash At The Beach 97 - (as above)

Uncensored 96 - (if only for Regal v Finlay – a hush descends on the crowd, as the pair beat the living shit out of each other. Nobody really seems to know what to make of it. Probably my favourite WCW match).

I always love how Tony Schiavone tries to make out that the clearly bored out of their minds crowd are in a stunned silence.

And I think that Street Fight is still going on

Eaton and Lane as The Midnights and their killer music.

The Blondes run.

Barry Windham generally being ice cool up untill 92.

Simmons beating Vader.

Sid squashes.

The Black Scorpion.

Stan Hanson roughing up Luger slightly.

The best match in WCW for me was Superbrawl - Sting and Luger v The Steiners.

Search for any of the above and you wont be disapointed.

I remember being about 9 yrs old and I bought Superbrawl 91 from a Carboot sale. Late 92ish. Luger/ Sting vs The Steiners blew my little mind so far ahead of it's time compared to the 1992 WWF era I was currently watching. Still gets me excited to this day when I watch that match. Also King of Sports mentions Starrcade 96 above, Luger and Giant have one of their better matches chemistry was always good between these two. Even though 80% of it was usually nonsensical I really miss WCW.

Following on from Baz, I genuinely missed the mid 90s WCW midcard. Whereas you had your main event guys pushing storylines along, you then had ten minutes matches with highly competent and technically sounds luchadores, cruiserweights, up and comers and alternative veterans. It's great if you want to watch a quick (and decent) ten minute match.

• Paid Members

Can't remember what even it was, but there was a match going on and at the same time, Fear Factory were doing a live set. 

I  love Fear Factory, I love wrestling, it's just too hard to know which one to concentrate on. 

I also know I'm in the minority, but I loved the final year of WCW. It was the ultimate car crash TV. Swerve upon swerve upon swerve, I used to get back from Uni on a Friday in time for Worldwide. 

Archived