Ranking the Best Summerslam Matches Ever

Liam O'Rourke

As mentioned on last week's podcast (which you can find in my sig if you'd like to check it out), we're doing a show on the top Summerslam matches of all time this week and did a panel voting on the top 20 matches. Below is the outcome, based on the mean average score of the votes.

For the podcast, besides a debate among the panel on the final outcome below, we'd like your thoughts on which matches you rate higher or lower, or if you think any should be on the list that aren't. As always we'll be reading the best contributions on the show and crediting you accordingly.

1. Shawn Michaels Vs. Triple H (2002)
2. Bret Hart Vs. Mr. Perfect (1991)
3. Bret Hart Vs. Davey Boy Smith (1992)
4. Bret Hart Vs. Owen Hart (1994)
5. Edge & Christian Vs. Hardy Boyz Vs. Dudley Boyz (2000)
6. The Rock Vs. Triple H (1998)
7. Shawn Michaels Vs. Razor Ramon (1995)
8. Kurt Angle Vs. Rey Mysterio (2002)
9. Steve Austin Vs. Kurt Angle (2001)
10. Brock Lesnar Vs. CM Punk (2013)
11a. Bret Hart Vs. Doink/Jerry Lawler (1993)
11b. Brock Lesnar Vs. John Cena (2014)
13. Hart Foundation Vs. Brain Busters (1989)
14. The Rock Vs. Brock Lesnar (2002)
15. Hart Foundation Vs. Demolition (1990)
16a. Daniel Bryan Vs. John Cena (2013)
16b. The Ultimate Warrior Vs. Rick Rude (1989)
18. Steiner Brothers Vs. Heavenly Bodies (1993)
19. Shane McMahon Vs. Test (1999)
20. Christian Vs. Randy Orton (2011)

EDIT - The show discussing the list, your comments on it and any notable omissions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/234e8w/SCGRadio51-RankingTheBestSummerslamMatchesEver.mp3

I would have Orton/Benoit added to that list and I would rank that highly. But I understand why it's left off.

I'm glad you've added Test/Shane McMahon to this, I consider it one of the underrated matches of the Attitude Era.

• Awards Moderator

I'm with you on your number 1, one of my favourite ever matches, but the rest of my top three would have been Bret vs. Owen and probably Lesnar vs. Cena for the shock value of the destruction of Cena and the fact that that shock value hooked me into the match more than I've been hooked in since probably the Taker/HHH WM matches. Not a bad list at all, though, no real glaring omissions from among my favourites!

I'd put Cena - Lesnar in the top three. One of those rare matches that sucks you in and you're glued from start to finish. The shock value, as HarmGen said, added to the drama. 

Bryan - Cena (wow, 2 years ago already!?) would be higher up in my eyes too; it was definitely a better match than Austin - Angle for instance.

I never realised how many top, top quality matches have gone down at SummerSlam actually.

I can't believe you rated the HHH vs Rock ladder match above HBK vs Razor though.

I can, HHH vs Rock is one of my favourite ladder matches! 

Very good list and I agree with most of the comments above, you could make a good argument for most of the top matches.  Personally my favourite is Bret vs Owen followed by HHH vs Michaels

Technically, the most crisp/best match I have seen out of them is Bret vs. Perfect. It was unbelievable. The problem though is I was 5 years old at the time so I never got the chance to really appreciate it with hindsight and more appreciation/knowledge of what was going on. Same with Bret vs. Davey, exceptional match and I remember it being great, but it wasn't until much later that I really could appreciate it for what it was/

My favourite was therefore the HHH vs. Rock ladder match. I remember thinking at the time how amazing it was and I still get drawn in every time I watch it again. Absolutely bloody brilliant. Yes, I still didn't have as much exposure to the inner workings etc. but I was old enough to form a better opinion of what was in front of me and still had the realisation of what wrestling was, which is why is surpasses Bret/Perfect and Bret/Bulldog for me.

It always stands out to me as a highlight of the entire attitude era, not just SummerSlam and it solidified two guys as future main eventers. It really was exceptional.

I'd definitely have Bret vs Bulldog at number 1 - it's my favourite match of all-time. Loved it as a kid, still love it now. It has everything I look for in a match, technical wrestling, storyline, a red-hot crowd, everything.

Sorry guys but it’s absolutely criminal that Taker vs Bret from 1997 is not on that list. It’s possibly my favourite Bret Hart match ever and signifies everything good about WWE; characters, action, unpredictability and genuine interest about the end result.

It’s the climax of the nuclear Canada vs USA feud in the middle of one of the best years in company history and ties in all of the major players in the story of both men (even Paul Bearer waddles down at one point). The Hart Foundations group celebration at the end is an iconic moment although a bittersweet one, we’d lose Pillman two months later and Davey would be gone by years’ end. The emptying arena with rubbish being thrown in by the rabid US crowd, Bret holding up five fingers tying Hogan’s title record is a beautiful image encapsulating an electrifying time for the company that was getting hotter and hotter.

The stipulation going in was that Bret couldn’t wrestle again in the USA if he lost, and as the self-righteous Canadian it felt everything he stood for was tied up in him winning the belt and parading it around New Jersey that night. Shawn as guest referee also added intrigue; if he didn’t call it down the middle he himself would be unable to compete in America again. Slightly convoluted yes, but only serving to heighten the anticipation about what would eventually go down.

After 20 odd minutes of great, slow-burning action from two top workers, they arrive at the end sequence which is one of the most dramatic ever, and as so often when wrestling is done right – it felt REAL. I could so believe that Bret would go as far as to spit on Shawn for trying to prevent him fulfilling his destiny, Shawn retaliating and ending up screwing things up for himself enough that he reluctantly counted the pinfall with his own career at stake.

The match also had huge ramifications and led to two of the most significant events in company history. It led us to Montreal of course, but don’t forget the all-time classic Hell in a Cell contest this also gave us the reason for.

I don’t think the quality or importance of this one should be understated and I really think you’ve missed a trick by not including it. Not least because Test is on there!

• Paid Members

Pretty solid list can't disagree with it the one match I would stick in there probably about 8th would be Punk vs Jeff Hardy from 09. Had a great build with Punk turning heal before hand and going with his straight edge means I'm better than you shtick with Hardy playing the otherside of the coin well including Hardys best ever character work and allowing Punk to get molten heat. The match was brutal and great with a cracking super tall ladder Swanton onto the announce table. Punk winning clean was his arrival for me, it was the best singles performance Jeff as had as well. At the end of a brutal showing both guys where more over and I even liked the bit with Taker to start a new feud

Forgive my ignorance and I'll surely watch at some point but what the hell made Test v Shane so good? I know McMahon matches nearly always end up being loads better than they sound but really?

• Paid Members

That's a really good list overall. Don't agree with all of it but that's unlikely. Demolition vs. Hart Foundation would be a clear number one on my list but I'm slightly biased. It's in my top 3 ever.

I watched HBK/HHH recently, only the 2nd time I've ever seen it. It was really good but I thought it lost about half the drama knowing what I know now. The first time i watched it, I genuinely feared for Michaels' safety and it's one of the matches I've found easiest to buy into since I was a little kid. I almost watched it through my fingers the first time, I felt sick at the bumps HBK was taking and I felt genuinely over-joyed at how great he was. It loses that watching it now. I wish I'd not seen it again. It's funny but when I watch a match I loved as a kid, like the Harts/Demos, I feel ten years old again. I get lost in it just like I did then. That doesn't happen with matches I loved as an adult. Even ones as great as this was.

I love the crowd reaction to Bulldog/Bret but the match itself isn't anywhere near as good as third. Even just at a glance, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 on the list are all better than it.

I love the joint 11th. Two matches that could not be more different. As much as I love the angle in the Lawler match and think the Doink portion is really good action, it's not in the league of others in that top 15. Certainly not in the same league as the brutally brilliant Cena/Lesnar.

The most glaring ommissions for me are the aforementioned Bret/Taker match from SummerSlam '97 which is superb and certainly better than at least half the list. Also, the Mankind/HHH cage match from the opener that year is superb and better than a good few mentioned.

We've done threads in the past where we've put together our ultimate WM card from down the years, only being allowed to use each guy once. Have we ever done SummerSlam? That would be a hell of a dilemma to put together a card only being able to pick one Bret match, one HBK match and one HHH match.

• Paid Members

Forgive my ignorance and I'll surely watch at some point but what the hell made Test v Shane so good? I know McMahon matches nearly always end up being loads better than they sound but really?

Chaos. Fun shortcuts involving the Mean Steet Posse. Soap opera twists. Hot crowd that cared about the result. Wrestling done right, basically.

More thoughts later.

• Paid Members

Another match think I would have on the list actually is the Benoit vs Jericho 2/3 falls match 2000. Was overshadowed by the E+C, Dudleys and Hardys match but was excellent in its own right.

Another match think I would have on the list actually is the Benoit vs Jericho 2/3 falls match 2000. Was overshadowed by the E+C, Dudleys and Hardys match but was excellent in its own right.

Archived