Ranking the Best Summerslam Matches Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Forget Summerslam, I'd struggle to name 15 matches in company history that I think are better than Cena vs. Bryan. That's the only thing that stands out on the list as being way off.

Just watched this as I don't recall seeing at the time and its a damn fine main event, what an exhilarating match.

I miss Bryan :(

HHH vs. Mankind in the Cage in '97 might get top spot for me. I'm surprised it didn't make your top 20. A great match and story, which I think propelled both men. I love it, as it's not only a good wrestling match and stunt fest, but fun and full of emotion. Probably my favourite cage match.

• Paid Members

Right, let's have a bash.

I'd have a hard time picking out much different from that list. I remember thinking Austin/Angle was a great, hot match only let down by a shitty finish, and while I don't know if it would crack my top 10, that's probably down to not seeing it for ages, and I can't really discount a match of top quality due to a dissatisfying finish because Bret's back to back with Doink and The King definitely is up there.

Can I have a word on Bret at SummerSlam 93? His matches with Perfect, Bulldog and his brother are far more lauded but honestly, that performance holds a special place in my heart. It wasn't long after I'd become a serious wrestling fan and regular viewer, and was a time when Bret was establishing himself as the true iron man of the WWF and really the guy you looked at to deliver the real quality on the big stage. The guy packed five matches of quality into two shows between King of the Ring and SummerSlam and really seemed to go balls out to show us "I'll give you gold, put me in the ring with ANYONE." Here, a tight technical match with the fantastic heel Doink followed by a passionate brawl with The King, who based on this one show instantly became my most hated wrestler at the time. The Dusty finish at the end actually made the ending even better for me as a kid because I knew at the end that Bret was walking away the real winner of the FIGHT and he'd hated Lawler so much that he'd tried to cripple him. This was one of the best "revenge" matches I ever saw, and I was baffled that they were booked to go again on opposite sides at Survivors (according to WWF Magazine at the time) because, I'm sorry, this war was over right here. And God damn, Lawler was excellently executed.

I'm really pleased to see that Test/Shane made the cut, its definitely in my picks for favourite SummerSlam matches ever and I'm pleased to see other people think it was objectively good. As I said earlier, fun shortcuts involving the Mean Steet Posse. Soap opera twists. Hot crowd that cared about the result. Wrestling done right, basically. It fell during a little time when a lot of us had briefly allowed ourselves to believe that Test wasn't shit, he had some good power moves and could move around quite a bit for his size, and in that match proved he could get a crowd behind him, although that might have been about how good Shane was at getting people to loathe him.

For people saying Cena/Lesnar should have been rated higher, I'm inclined to disagree. On the night, it was shocking, compelling and unforgettable, that's absolutely true. However, I don't know if, once the shock dies down, I call it a great match. As breathtaking as it was seeing Lesnar utterly barbecue the undisputed top guy of the last 10 years, I haven't once felt compelled to watch it again since the first time. I know "re-watch" value doesn't make a difference to some people, but if I don't want to watch a match again, that means something in terms of how good I thought it was, or wasn't.

I've got to back Otto up on Undertaker vs Bret from 1997 - the storyline leading up to that match had me genuinely intrigued for multiple reasons - I was fascinated on what "that fucking prick" (HBK) would do as guest ref, but it did not detract from the focal point of who was going to win the match. The stip had me dumbfounded as I couldn't foresee the Hitman not being a regular part of WWF shows in the States (little did I know) but also I had no idea how my proud pink hero had any chance of beating the dead man with his evil homosexual nemesis as the ref. I was on the edge of my seat in the home stretch of that match and jumping for joy when Bret overcame the odds and heroically lifted his Hogan-equalling 5th WWF title, erasing the stain of Mania IX (in my mind forever). Fuck Shawn Michaels. FUCK HULK HOGAN.

The only other match I can think of that I would have included as I felt it was more intense and dramatic than some of those included would be Angle/Lesnar from SummerSlam 2003 which I really got into, but I feel is slept on as the title didn't change hands on that occasion so it gets forgetten compared to the three title switches between the two in the calendar year, and the fact it gets overshadowed by the Iron Man match they had on SmackDown a few weeks later.

Just wanted to thank everybody for the posts, comments and nominations, we got to read a good few of them on the show, and the podcast debating the Top 20 Matches in Summerslam History is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/234e8w/SCGRadio51-RankingTheBestSummerslamMatchesEver.mp3

Join us as we talk about the rankings determined by a cumulative vote, and debate which matches should be higher or lower, as well as your thoughts on the list, the classic encounters, and any matches you felt belong amongst the all time greats. A huge show this week, longer than usual so posting it a day early, check it out and let us know what you think!

Archived