The 2015 UKFF UK50 - STAGE ONE!

cobystag

• Moderators

Every company in the UK is an indie by it's very nature, isn't it? They're all independents as we don't have any mainstream. I mean, PCW would possibly the least indie of any in the UK to be called indie due to the large crowds and mainstream stars.

I always seen Indy as gritty and off the beaten track if it's not meant in the "not mainstream" sense, and the "indy" companies have had BBC coverage, or have big stas on shows, or do big halls. The "Indies" are the closest to the mainstream now. It's not British Indy Wrestling, it's just British Wrestling.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but indie wrestling has kind of taken on a meaning other than the fact it is for an independent company and has come to describe a style of wrestling or show.

With very little knowledge I can't tell you about the touring companies. But perhaps you can, over the last couple of years has business improved significantly for touring companies as it has for the "Indy" promotions.

• Paid Members

There's always going to be schism between the guys who work the "family" shows and the guys that work the edgier ones. And it's marked that guys who do both work a very different style, depending on the job. It's down to personal choice, and that's the crux of the UKFF50, I guess. Personally, I couldn't care for the family shows and that style of working does nothing for me, even though I can appreciate the skill behind it. Therefore, I won't weight my votes in consideration of that. Others will and somewhere in-between is where we'll all meet and wave foam fingers.

Now whether working exclusively for the family shows is a bad or a good thing is another argument entirely... :)

• Moderators

moofasa, on 07 Jul 2015 - 12:18, said:

Yes but indie wrestling has kind of taken on a meaning other than the fact it is for an independent company and has come to describe a style of wrestling or show.

With very little knowledge I can't tell you about the touring companies. But perhaps you can, over the last couple of years has business improved significantly for touring companies as it has for the "Indy" promotions.

What's that got to do with anything? I was actually intending on pointing out that to call the large British cult companies "indie" would do them a disservice as they're currently the hot shit in town. I mean how can "Indie" really describe a style of wrestling or show when ICW, PCW and PROGRESS are all "indie" yet PCW is nothing like PROGRESS and PROGRESS is nothing like ICW, and ICW is nothing like PCW. They all have their own style, like most companies in the UK have their own particular style which I was considering more like the old territories than some "indie" catch all which wouldn't give the companies their fair due as strong companies of their own volition, image, aura, presentation, and in-ring style. I was actually being complimentary of their massive growth.

I've not a clue what your last sentence has to do with anything, but if you want to continue with your "All of one is good, fuck all of other" way of looking at things as opposed to my attempts at expanding and discovering new talent and companies and learning a bit about what's going on all around the country in order to make this a more fun and educational project then that's up to you. It's not a war between wrestling ideas and concepts, you know. You're not in the ECW arena in 1994 railing against the staid. I like tours, i like the large static feds, I like the cult feds liek TXW, and I like wrestling on in a fair. I just like all wrestling, and thought that as I see a lot of wrestlers others don't that I rate I might bring them to people's attention. See, I'd be happy if someone brings some obscure talents to my attention from somewhere I've never heard of as I like pro wrestling and I like discovering new pro wrestlers. You seem to think it's more an Us vs Them, Old vs Young, The very loose definition of indie vs family friendly companies. And it's not, it's about sharing wrestlers for people to enjoy. I thought that has part of the point of the porject? TO learn about new talent?

So next year I'll stick to wrestlers who come from the "approved" list of what's already known.

I feel I've wound you up and you have completely misunderstood my position. I to can enjoy that all star style for what it is and attend their shows when they are local to me. After all it's still wrestling and I can get some enjoyment from it because it's wrestling and I like wrestling.

It's certainly not about indy v touring. This is totally missing my point. Where I originally said something should be said for the guys who travel all over the uk no matter what company or companies they work for. My point was also these guys could be great but they always work in front of a family crowd not a more smarky crowd so we have no way of knowing if they have the versatility of a Ligero and the rest. (They could we just don't know.

The ukff 50 is to share and enjoy wrestlers. (And I watched the matches posted, but seeing them live is a much better way to judge). This thread is also for debating.

Hope I haven't ruined your day.

• Moderators

All I was trying to do mate was say "Here's some people I see, you might not have, here's an intro, I'll post matches later" and you came across "If they're that good why don't they ever leave Wales?", which I'm sure you can understand I found a bit shitty as I was just trying to share good talent I'm aware of with people, even though you might not have meant it that way in hindsight. All there was to it. I mean, I never said there's not anything to be said for people that work everywhere and never would, more that people might not have seen these people because they don't work everywhere and many members on here don't really seem to see as much touring wrestling as they do the larger superfeds. Anyway, let's leave it there, we've both made our point.

Where I originally said something should be said for the guys who travel all over the uk no matter what company or companies they work for. 

To be fair, the Welsh Wrestling guys probably work more different towns per year than a large % of the guys who work different promotions across the UK.

• Moderators

Point on the top 50 is this: people vote for who they've seen, that's the point. If wrestlers aren't putting themselves out there for WHATEVER REASON by a lot of people, then they aren't going to succeed in this endeavour. 

Refer to previous debate. So we can't use the 50 project as a launchpad to learn about things we don't normally see? That's my point, I'm not fussed about who comes where in the UKFF 50, more about the strength of talent within and especially talent that's new to me, and hopefully new to others. That's my point. That I've been making for ages. It's more than just a straight poll, it's a way to find new talent to get into.

• Paid Members

I'm a bit peefed that there will be no shit-list this year. That and the bawbag lists are tremendously entertaining. I couldn't count how many times i've been sat waiting for a lond delayed train and re-read those to pass the time. Hopefully some brave soul will take will take up that mantle and provide the goods!

• Paid Members

When I did a Shit List attached to last year's UKFF UK50, it drew hardly any nominations.

Fun as it can be to out shitarses, you've got to have enough people willing to say someone's SHIT (hopefully with witty stories) to make it worthwhile.

• Paid Members

When I did a Shit List attached to last year's UKFF UK50, it drew hardly any nominations.

Fun as it can be to out shitarses, you've got to have enough people willing to say someone's SHIT (hopefully with witty stories) to make it worthwhile.

The problem with saying anyone's shit on here is that you have to put up with someone telling you how and why they're great, and obviously they're RIGHT and you're a MORON for not recognizing how gifted Dean Allmark that wrestler actually is. And that's a lot more annoying than the reverse debate. I don't care who doesn't agree with me that Dave Rayne is the best wrestler alive.

I'm kidding. It's not me that hates Allmark, it's the other one.

For me I want the UKFF50 to be about the BEST of BritWres (and thank you Butch and others for your spirited discussion it's been great to read and will forever be a constant argument between those wrestlers who work the more net savvy promotions and those who work the camps/tours) so had no interest in a Shit List.

If someone was that bothered and Moj or BBHG didn't object, I'd have no right to object either. But it's not for me.

Point on the top 50 is this: people vote for who they've seen, that's the point. If wrestlers aren't putting themselves out there for WHATEVER REASON by a lot of people, then they aren't going to succeed in this endeavour.

Refer to previous debate. So we can't use the 50 project as a launchpad to learn about things we don't normally see? That's my point, I'm not fussed about who comes where in the UKFF 50, more about the strength of talent within and especially talent that's new to me, and hopefully new to others. That's my point. That I've been making for ages. It's more than just a straight poll, it's a way to find new talent to get into.

One of the best parts of the 50 for me is seeing a guys name come up that I've not heard of and then digging up their stuff on youtube.

Would it not be worth having a separate list for the UK's funniest wrestlers? We've got some great talent on our shores, and we've also got quite a few comical in-ring entertainers. Might draw a few interesting reads.

Archived