The 2015 UKFF UK50 - STAGE ONE!

cobystag

• Moderators

Because by staying in Wales working for that one touring company they're guaranteed work every weekend, and it's for reputable promoters who always pay and pay well, James Mason only just on Thursday on Colt Cabana's AOW said it is the best locker room in wrestling which counts for a lot when you're dealing with each other, and in the school holidays have a schedule second only to All Star's. Working to touring promotions is like a full time job. In the School Holidays it's literally a 7 day a week job for touring promotions. They aren't as well known as a lot of the more popular Britwres workers but probably work more. It's like the old "If Jerry Lawler was so great why didn't he leave Memphis?". Because he didn't have to.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the fact they don't have to, so don't, takes away from them. Also the fact they are only working for a touring company means they are only exposed to one type of crowd. Where as alot of all star regulars tour the whole country and work Indy shows on top. Comparing them to Jerry Lawler in Memphis is a bit rich for me.

• Moderators

I'm not comparing anyone to Jerry Lawler (He's the greatest of all time), more saying they don't have to travel as they get more work staying at home so don't have to look elsewhere for it much like he didn't have to look, nor did Ole, nor did any number of people. I mean this is the July/Aug schedule.

JULY

SAT 18th - Pontnewynydd Community Centre - PONTYPOOL - 07572 217330

MON 20th - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 20th - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 21st - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

WED 22nd - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 23rd - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

MON 27th - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 27th - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 28th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

WED 27th - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 30th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

AUGUST

SUN 2nd - De Valence Pavilion - TENBY (SA70 7JD) - 01834 842730

MON 3rd - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 3rd - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 4th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

WED 5th - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 6th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

MON 10th - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 10th - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 11th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)     ***

WED 12th - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 13th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

MON 17th - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 17th - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 18th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

WED 19th - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 20th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

MON 24th - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 24th - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

TUE 25th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

WED 26th - Y Pavilion - BARMOUTH (LL42 1NF) - 01341 280111

THUR 27th - Holiday Resort Unity - BREAN SANDS (TA8 2RB)      ***

MON 31st - Trecco Bay Holiday Park - PORTHCAWL (CF36 5NG)

MON 31st - Glan Y Mor Leisure Park - ABERYSTWYTH (SY23 3DT)

MON 31st - Cherry Tree Holiday Park - GREAT YARMOUTH (NR31 9QR)     ***

Obviously you'd do the date for your home company in order to keep them sweet in order to get more. On a Friday are you going to go somewhere new which might not be great for £30? Or stay with your home company which will pay you a fair bit more, be closer to home, and not rock the boat when it comes to getting those all important holiday camp bookings? Remember, they get offers to work elsewhere on Fridays and Saturdays, but they'll often have dates for their home promotion on the same days and they'll take priority. Grizzly works TXW, some roster members work ATTACK, but obviously one's going to be their bread and butter. It doesn't make them lesser wrestlers like your are intimating.

This year I'm going to be campaigning for Welsh based touring workers.

AS a precursor to my crusade, I suggest people check out Mean Tommy Dean, Bison Brody, Stevie Starr, Grizzly Jones, John The Machine Titan (Best name in Britwres by a country mile) and a few others on the youtube. I'll also be plugging James Mason again too.

All of these guys do an excellent job. 

• Moderators

Bison Brody vs Grizzly Jones, Maesteg, March 2015.

To be honest I think Bison's a lot more effective as a heel but he's the conquering hometown boy here and he needs to be put with someone else his size so it doesn't look like a villain picking on someone. Both know how to put on an effective big man match and do so here, getting every ounce of worth out of every movement. Nothing's wasted, and it tells a great story. Grizzly's really improved the past few years too, a lot of that could be down to TXW and the fact it's awesome, but he's deceptively agile and makes a good base for Brody's pure power. 

Because by staying in Wales working for that one touring company they're guaranteed work every weekend, and it's for reputable promoters who always pay and pay well, James Mason only just on Thursday on Colt Cabana's AOW said it is the best locker room in wrestling which counts for a lot when you're dealing with each other, and in the school holidays have a schedule second only to All Star's. Working to touring promotions is like a full time job. In the School Holidays it's literally a 7 day a week job for touring promotions. They aren't as well known as a lot of the more popular Britwres workers but probably work more. It's like the old "If Jerry Lawler was so great why didn't he leave Memphis?". Because he didn't have to.

I always wondered, are the wrestlers working for Welsh Wrestling or All Star allowed to wrestle for other promotions or are they exclusive only to them and risk losing their bookings if they go else where?

That's a pretty stacked schedule but I am with Moofasa on this one, to be an elite UK wrestler you need to tour around. However I've seen Tommy Dean live before and I love him so he's definitely getting a vote from me.

• Paid Members

Christ Trecco Bay and Glan Y Mor on the same day is like a callback to my childhood holidays. First show I ever saw live was Glan Y Mor, though at that time I'm fairly sure it was LDN running it based off one of the names that was there that I'd seen since with them.

The Welsh circuit always seems the most fun, in some ways you're not getting to experience different crowds from the usual holiday park show, but in the main one you're interacting with a brand new crowd and getting them invested and interested in what's happening for the first time they may have seen you. Some of the workers Butch's listed are some of the best in the UK easily and deserve a ton of credit. It's as close to territories for me as the UK could get at present. ICW the main up in Scotland, Progress in the South and the Welsh holiday camp scene, all using pretty much different rosters with an occasional crossover in Progress/ICW case.

• Moderators

I always wondered, are the wrestlers working for Welsh Wrestling or All Star allowed to wrestle for other promotions or are they exclusive only to them and risk losing their bookings if they go else where?

Wild Boar worked everywhere and was a Welsh Wrestling stalwart. I just think it's more a case of maybe other promoters seeing them in a "niche".

So the summer is one thing, but that's not really an excuse the rest of the year is it? Guys like El Ligero will work for All Star full time from now until August, but still appear on shows the length and breadth of the country. 

• Moderators

Christmas, Easter, Half Terms. Is the intimation being made by people that they aren't solid workers of a high standard because they don't do the more fashionable promotions as well as their home base? Because that's what it reads like, and that'd be bollocks to be fair.

• Moderators

If only people were giving introductions to them and posting videos of their matches, eh? I'd always assumed learning about new talent you'd not been exposed to was part of the fun of the UKFF 50. But I was wrong, seemingly.

Heard great things about Stevie Starr and Iestyn Rees, Justin Sysum etc, but as hardly anyone watches wrestling that neck of the woods, difficult to nominate, barring the guys that go Attack! Regularly. Plenty of decent Welsh and Southwestern Wrestlers, the lack of exposure is the killer here

. It's as close to territories for me as the UK could get at present. ICW the main up in Scotland, Progress in the South and the Welsh holiday camp scene, all using pretty much different rosters with an occasional crossover in Progress/ICW case.

It is an interesting time the quality companies are drawing 600 -1000 and selling out in advance. To the point ICW has started touring nationally. Including a date in Norwich given the blessing of Ricky Knight. Progress have just announced a date and soldit out in Manchester (after asking permission of local promoters). On the surface everybody seems to be getting on very well and asking before stepping on toes. Hopefully it continues. Revpro was holding shows in a small hall in sittingbourne 3 years ago. They are now selling out York hall and for the rest of the year have announced big shows all over the South including a UK Global Wars. Preston is drawing 600+ a night for their weekenders. And have announced ROH Supershow 2. There are many more seeing good business ipwuk, southside, future shock and many others. Chikara had a tour with Attack and FCP. There was London Wrestlecon and British bootcamp at York hall. There are 4 lucha dates this week in London, 3 at York hall and 1 by a different company at The Royal Albert Hall. And everyday it seems a new company announces a date with a quality roster. Indy wrestling in the UK is in high demand and promotions are expanding to supply it. Let's hope it continues and the bottom doesn't fallout with over saturation. Because it is the best I've ever seen it and would like to see it get better.

Archived