Bad Gimmicks Made Good/That You Enjoyed

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

JBL reinvented as a main eventer. Whether or not you thought his title run was a success, I enjoyed his new character. I was thinking about this the other day actually, who was the last wrestler other than JBL to have a long title reign and win almost every defense with proper old school shenanigans?

But was JBL a bad gimmick, though? I thought it was pretty good - classic Texan millionaire as a twist on the Million Dollar Man, based on his real-life character which he played really well. I was put off by him initially, and still think he was a bit pony match-wise, but his character was definitely awesome, and coupled with his excellent promos and the great booking that not only served to cover his deficiencies but actually enhance his heel character, it made for a brilliant gimmick. I don't think it's one he "made good", because it was good to start with.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

JBL was nothing but a gimmick, he'd have been twirling his moustache in the six sided ring feuding with James Storm in a Cowboy vs Cowboy skirmish or battling Cute Kip without it. It was just that good a gimmick, that good not only did it save him from going the way of the rest of the attitude mid card boys, but gave him a main event spot for several years. And it was all gimmick, baby.

• Paid Members

JBL was nothing but a gimmick, he'd have been twirling his moustache in the six sided ring feuding with James Storm in a Cowboy vs Cowboy skirmish or battling Cute Kip without it. It was just that good a gimmick, that good not only did it save him from going the way of the rest of the attitude mid card boys, but gave him a main event spot for several years. And it was all gimmick, baby.

Either way, it ties in to what I was saying - it wasn't a bad gimmick made good, it was a damn good gimmick in the first place.

• Paid Members

Yeah, agree with that. It was a great gimmick and it was the worker who exceeded expectations rather than the character. That one and Kane stand out to me as being wrong in the thread.

Goldust was a pretty mental character. A giant "Oscar" who is also a creepy gay stalker. Not only did it get over but it eventually turned him babyface.

• Moderators

I hated Goldust until about 2002 and again for a few years after that until 2008 or so when he lost the weight. I was overcome with happiness when he was Dustin Runnels in 1998, but WWF wouldn't give me any joy with that. Fucks.

I love Goldust for his work, not the gimmick, and from 1995-1999, and 2003-2008 or 9 the work wasn't there, so I wasn't behind it. But yeah, never dug the Goldust gimmick. In fact, my favourite ever Goldust incarnation was the 2013 fiery babyface and good ol' boy Dustin Rhodes, only in facepaint.

• Paid Members

Goldust made for some of the most uncomfortable telly ever. Sitting with your Dad, watching him trying and touch Savio Vegas cock was not something I'd like to revisit. My neck still burns thinking about it now. The looks from them as if to say "so this is what wrestling is then?" Goldust's gimmick only worked when he turned into Julian Clary, where he'd be all "ooo missus" later on with Booker T. Goldust as a aggressive homosexual just had a massive disconnect on the type of show they were running at the time.

I was watching 96/97 back recently, and its the oddest thing. Goldust turned face immediately when he said he wasn't gay. People reacted like Harry Enfield in that sketch where his gay son said he was going to the toilet ONLY for a piss.

• Paid Members

Barry Darsow in all his gimmicks. Krusher Kruschev and Demolition Smash were great gimmicks. Then you have Repo Man, Mr. Hole in One and the Blacktop Bully. Not the best stuff but Darsow absolutely pulled off all three gimmicks and threw everything into it. He's very underated for that. He's clearly having an absolute blast playing Repo Man, and for it's time, place and era, it's fun.

• Moderators

Repo Man and Stewart Pain/Mr Hole in One were ace!

Although Darsow's best gimmick was in 1999 when he'd have an identity crisis and one week come out for a match as the Blacktop Bully, next week Krusher Khruschev and so on

The biggest compliment I can pay Darsow is that 20-odd years later and having known for a looong time, I still cannot really believe Repo Man was him.

I agree! Repo Man must have been repossessing baked goods recently. Akeem is one of those guys I always think is dead everytime his name pops up. I normally think he died 20 years ago or thereabouts.

demolition_team_wwf_chikara_king_of_trio

Archived