Divisions & Tiers In WWE

Linus

• Paid Members

Now that the three belts are on very distinct wrestlers, I can't be alone in thinking that dividing the roster into "divisions" is the way to go? But how would you split them?

WORLD:

Seth Rollins ©

Roman Reigns

Brock Lesnar

Randy Orton

The Big Show

Rusev

Kane

Bray Wyatt

INTERCONTINENTAL:

Daniel Bryan ©

Sheamus

Wade Barrett

Dolph Ziggler

Dean Ambrose

Luke Harper

The Ryback

Mark Henry

UNITED STATES:

John Cena ©

Erick Rowan

Stardust

The Miz

R-Truth

Neville

Mizdow

Jack Swagger

OTHERS:

Adam Rose

Curtis Axel

Bo Dallas

Fandango

Zack Ryder

Goldust

It's tough, because there really aren't enough top level talents, especially when Cena is in what's practically division 3. Wyatt seems to exist outside of championships, and Rusev is a top tier talent but positioned much lower through his feuds. They really should pull the trigger on a Reigns heel turn because, Rollins-aside (and he's got plenty of challengers for the next few months) there's nothing there.

• Paid Members

Aren't the US/IC pretty much interchangeable? Suppose that could change if their making the IC belt more Smackdown centric.

They shouldn't be. The clue is in the name, really.

What's to stop a wrestler from jumping to a different division? If there's no barriers then is there any point for divisions? I don't know how this would work Linus, on any level? 

Ideally, a wrestler at the US level would only be able to move up on winning the title. But strong showings in matches in that division might also work. This would be for title matches only, of course. Nothing to stop Rollins fighting Rowan, just don't insult the title by giving a shot to someone so beneath it.

I might have overcomplicated things, thinking about it :)

I've always hated this idea. We see too many of the same matches week after week without divisions, I can't help but feel this would exacerbate the situation. 

I've really enjoyed Cena's US championship open the past two weeks, and the possibilities it opens - anybody from Kane to Neville to Adam Rose could answer it.

• Paid Members

If they'd learned anything from how special Lesnar's matches felt the past year, they'd never have Rollins work matches on free TV.

Have US Title matches be exclusive to Raw creating Cena main events most weeks and IC Title matches exclusive to Smackdown. You wouldn't have to force divisions but you could create them unofficially by keeping certain guys off the other show.

If they'd learned anything from how special Lesnar's matches felt the past year, they'd never have Rollins work matches on free TV.

Have US Title matches be exclusive to Raw creating Cena main events most weeks and IC Title matches exclusive to Smackdown. You wouldn't have to force divisions but you could create them unofficially by keeping certain guys off the other show.

It's nigh-on impossible to do that, though. Cena's open challenge isn't a viable ongoing Raw main event, especially when the challengers aren't going to be elite level wrestlers. The only main event heels they have are Rollins, Kane and Big Show. Take Rollins out of the TV mix and that's a lot of shitty main events, even if you cycle Bray Wyatt in once a month.

Dividing the wrestlers up is a terrible, terrible idea for the reason DeanoTheGame pointed out. But if it had to be done, I'd go with:

WORLD:

John Cena

Seth Rollins

Roman Reigns

Brock Lesnar

Randy Orton

Bray Wyatt

Dean Ambrose

Backstage Ryback

INTERCONTINENTAL:

Daniel Bryan

The Big Show

Sheamus

Wade Barrett

Dolph Ziggler

The Miz

Rusev

UNITED STATES:

Erick Rowan

Stardust

R-Truth

Neville

Mizdow

Jack Swagger

Kane

Luke Harper (largely because he's wrestled Ziggler and Bryan a million times, it seems... I'd be tempted to bump him up to the world title)

I'd love to see the Intercontinental Title be a belt for quality small-to-mid-sized wrestlers again, while the United States belt is contested by your more traditional second tier heavyweight types like Ryback and Swagger, as well as both champions actually being treated with respect rather than as glorified jobbers.

Having specific divisions, outside of the booker's notepad, seems a bit of a zany idea though in all honesty.

Would a point scoring system work which would in a sense qualify for title shots? Think of it like a football league table where you earn points per win and get title opportunities if inside the top six ranked or something like that? I know its messy and a pain in the arse to manage and control but would in a sense be your tiered system, if someone in the heavyweight division slips up (and you could have someone purposely screw them over to lose matches so they move up the ranks) then someone moving into the title positions could get a title shot or opportunity. You could tweak it so someone gets one title shot inside a fresh month/quarter. Does overly complicated though but would freshen up the filler matches at least. 

That'd never work, nor be worthwhile. To avoid the arse falling out of the league, it'd involve massive thought being put into the results of all the filler matches rather than just doing bland parity booking for Erick Rowan vs Heath Slater stuff. And if they're going to start putting thought into the undercard, they'd be best served putting that thought into character development and stories rather than a big jizzfest for points nerds.

And it'd make house shows seem even more meaningless if TV matches all had points at stake but live events didn't.

Reminds me I used to spend hours as a teenager deciding who should be in which division on Smackdown 2

I'm in the 'don't think this works on any practical level' group but it might if they had more belts, basically a hardcore division where they wouldn't be able to anything hardcore and a cruiserweight division which is near enough what the IC division is

slightly off topic but is the smackdown/raw brand extension still in place? With smackdown and raw superstars? It seems to me that for the longest time superstars appear on both shows and there's no mention of such and such being a raw superstar and vice versa. When did it end, it seemed to just fizzle out. I remember when it was rare for smackdown superstars to appear on raw.

Archived