Ranking the WrestleManias - The Top 10

Liam O'Rourke

This week we are doing the final part in our series of podcasts debating the rankings for all 30 WrestleManias in order, from worst to first in blocks of ten, and would like to get some feedback to read on the shows.

I've written an article on what I feel are the Top 10 (if you're interested in the rationale behind the rankings you can read the article here: http://steelchair.co.uk/ranking-the-wrestlemanias-the-top-10), and want to hear what agreements or disagreements people have with it, what you would rank higher or lower, and most importantly, why.

For those who don't want to read the whole article, the Top 10 as I have them are:

#10 - WrestleMania 30 (2014)
#9 - WrestleMania 28 (2012)
#8 - WrestleMania 20 (2004)
#7 - WrestleMania 23 (2007)
#6 - WrestleMania 21 (2005)
#5 - WrestleMania 19 (2003)
#4 - WrestleMania 14 (1998)
#3 - WrestleMania 10 (1994)
#2 - WrestleMania 3 (1987)
#1 - WrestleMania 17 (2001)

We'll be debating the order on the shows and reading your responses and crediting you accordingly, so what do you think?

EDIT - The podcast discussing your thoughts and debating the list is now online at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/er62xj/SCGRadio33-RankingtheWrestleManias-TheTop10.mp3

I'm in a rush this morning so can't type much up yet. However, I'd put 30 in the top 5. Never had so much fun watching a Wrestlemania. It wasn't as good as 17 or as monumental as 3, but it should be much higher than 10th place! From the Hogan/Austin/Rock promo to the Streak ending and the two outstanding Bryan matches, it was one of the best Wrestlemanias ever.

• Paid Members

Mania 30 is top for me, easily. You have a Battle Royale with cool stuff and an awesome finish, Wyatt vs Cena is decent, the Shield looked awesome vs NAO nostalgia just as a start. Also throw in a ridiculously fun pre-show 4 way tag

Then consider -

The greatest opening of anything ever in wrestling with 3 biggest stars ever

The best Wrestlemania opening match ever (sorry Bret/Owen)

The happy ending of the D-Bry story

The most shocking moment in wrestling history ever

30 all the way to the bank. That it's so low is appalling

Mania 30 is top for me, easily. You have a Battle Royale with cool stuff and an awesome finish, Wyatt vs Cena is decent, the Shield looked awesome vs NAO nostalgia just as a start. Also throw in a ridiculously fun pre-show 4 way tag

Then consider -

The greatest opening of anything ever in wrestling with 3 biggest stars ever

The best Wrestlemania opening match ever (sorry Bret/Owen)

The happy ending of the D-Bry story

The most shocking moment in wrestling history ever

30 all the way to the bank. That it's so low is appalling

The company was hotter around the times of 17 and 3 which makes them the correct top two, but I don't think any other Mania holds a candle to 30 for the reasons given above. It was a great watch live and retains plenty of replay value.

• Paid Members

You've obviously gone high on historical importance because 3 & 14 would be nowhere near the top 5 otherwise. 14 only has Austin winning the title in a mediocre match and the tons of fun Outlaws vs. Cactus & Funk going for it while 3 is a one match and a great stare-down show.

19 is a shithouse of a show too. McMahon/Hogan is the best thing on it by a mile.

Agree with the thoughts about 30, it's better than all of the above. Bryan/Trips better than Bret/Owen though? Someone's had a joint for elevenses!

19 is far from shit, think it suffers from the two world title matches not being much cop but Jericho/Michaels, Rock/Austin, Hogan/McMahon are all classic matches and Mysterio/Hardy was a decent enough opener

In fairness to the WWE title match, if Brock had hit the SSP it would've been an incredible end to the night, rather than everyone going 'fucking hell' and rubbing the back of their necks

Johnny Ace's idea for Brock to do the SSP, according to Lesnar's book. Had to have a "Wrestlemania moment" in the match and that's what Ace came up with. When watching it you can see that Lesnar is apprehensive. I knew he'd done it in OVW a bunch of times but not after going 25 (ish) minutes. And I remember thinking that Angle was too far away in the first place and was proven correct in a very scary moment. To say Lesnar had a far away look in his eyes afterwards would be an understatement

XX shouldn't be as high. As much as I enjoyed a few of the matches, the rest of the card was pretty average. Had that feel of 16 where they threw too many people on the card. And Brock/Goldberg will forever be one of the most disappointing matches ever.

20 was a big disappointment for me. Lots of rushed multiman matches where nobody really stood out, the extremely slow and underwhelming Lesnar vs. Goldberg, Undertaker looking like someone who tried to do a half assed cosplay of the Deadman character, and a head shaving that took forever.

Based on the positive aspects of the card that Liam mentioned, and ignoring the Benoit fallout, I'd stick it in the middle of the pack. I'd probably have it swap places with Wrestlemania 22, which I feel is criminally underrated.

Could never really get into 3, historically significant, sure, but outside Savage/Steamboat and the slam, it's not a top 5 for entertainment value.

My top would be WM17 because it epitomises the "three-ring circus" mentality at its very best. Pure wrestling in Angle vs. Benoit, soap opera like drama in Vince vs. Shane, signature WWE main event style in Austin vs. Rock, comedy in the Legends Battle Royal, chaos in the Hardcore triple threat... whatever you enjoy pro wrestling for, Wrestlemania 17 has it.

Wrestlemania 30 is an extremely close second, for the same variety and a higher level of wrestling. If WWE was a hotter product in 2014, Wrestlemania 30 would run away with the top spot. The X-Factor (not Pac and friends) that pushes WMX7 ahead is that no atmosphere could ever beat a late 90s/early 2000s WWE crowd.

• Paid Members

I'd have 28 higher. Always get horn on for 28 me. 

Setting looks beautiful in daylight and holds up in night. Biggest main event that could possible happen. World title defended in a cracking match. A rematch of the previous year MOTN but held in a HITC with a continued storyline and a huge talking point opener. 

Poor HOF aside. Love that Machine Gun Kelly theme and P-DIDDY & FLO RIDA!!!!!! 

Oh and the Rock/Cena promo with the FUN song is majorly underrated. 

My top would be WM17 because it epitomises the "three-ring circus" mentality at its very best. Pure wrestling in Angle vs. Benoit, soap opera like drama in Vince vs. Shane, signature WWE main event style in Austin vs. Rock, comedy in the Legends Battle Royal, chaos in the Hardcore triple threat... whatever you enjoy pro wrestling for, Wrestlemania 17 has it.

You mention all those and forget about the classic TLC match?

You mention all those and forget about the classic TLC match?

Oh fuck. I meant to include it. Must have had a brain fart while writing. Let me try again.

My top would be WM17 because it epitomises the "three-ring circus" mentality at its very best. Pure wrestling in Angle vs. Benoit, soap opera like drama in Vince vs. Shane, signature WWE main event style in Austin vs. Rock, crazy stunts and high-flying in TLC, comedy in the Legends Battle Royal, chaos in the Hardcore triple threat... whatever you enjoy pro wrestling for, Wrestlemania 17 has it.

Oh and the Rock/Cena promo with the FUN song is majorly underrated. 

Definitely. Better than the Austin/Rock My Way montage. It does a good job of capturing the weird emotional quality which Rock and Cena's feud had to it. I've never quite seen anyone articulate it properly, would love to see Astro Hollywood or someone have a go at it.

Archived