WrestleMania XXXI Discussion thread *SPOILERS*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I haven't watched any of the build to Wrestlemania so far (aside from the Rumble). First time in years I haven't.

From what I've read it looks like it's going to be as flat as a fart. Does any of it look promising? 

The build up may have been a bit flat but there's some big matches that will definitely still deliver. I'm excited. I think Lesnar/Reigns definitely does have the possibility of killing the crowd so I'm curious as to when it'll go on. Surely it has to go on last, but I still have a glimmer of doubt..

• Paid Members

I haven't watched any of the build to Wrestlemania so far (aside from the Rumble). First time in years I haven't.

From what I've read it looks like it's going to be as flat as a fart. Does any of it look promising? 

The build up may have been a bit flat but there's some big matches that will definitely still deliver. I'm excited. I think Lesnar/Reigns definitely does have the possibility of killing the crowd so I'm curious as to when it'll go on. Surely it has to go on last, but I still have a glimmer of doubt..

I don't know. I can see it turning into fans shitting on Reigns and his big moment, which is at least some kind of atmosphere, although not a desired one.

The most interesting thing about the main event is how they handle the finish. If it's just Reigns closing the show posing with the belt it's going to be messy. They need to be smart about it - The Rock turning up doesn't even work.

I really believe the last two weeks have solved a lot of the issues with the Wrestlemania build. Mostly due to Sting, Lesnar vowing to fuck Reigns up, everything Heyman says, and (Raw spoilers)

Bray Wyatt's promo- the best work he's ever done on the mic. The discipline in not bringing Taker out. The Sting/HHH confrontation when Raw opened. Rusev looking like a savage without Lana holding him back. I'm enjoying the IC and US builds just for the fact they exist for once. Hell, even the Divas got an angle and a ten minute match.

Orton vs. Rollins has been a bit hit and miss, but that's a Wrestlemania midcard workrate match anyway. Could have been more/meant more, but it won't be the worst thing to just give those two 15 minutes on the big stage.

Lesnar vs. Reigns tug of war was an idiotic end. I get they were going for different, but different doesn't mean better. We needed a big brawl, preferably with Reigns getting a slight upper hand.

I think all the main event matches will deliver big time- except maybe Wyatt vs. Taker. Bray's in a spot where he might have to carry a knackered Taker to a Wrestlemania-worthy match, if he gets it done it'll be huge for his career.

I wonder why they did that. The Usos got fucked there either because of CM Punk or Cesaro.

Why because of those two? Surely Punk leaving couldn't have knackered anyones Mania plans up

Because the only real explanations for the Usos' tag title win being bumped to Raw are that it was to give the Chicago Raw some oomph to keep the CM Punk chants at bay, or because the Real Americans split leading to Cesaro's tilwerememberhowdevoidofpersonalityheis singles push was the story that needed telling at WrestleMania.

• Moderators

I don't know. I can see it turning into fans shitting on Reigns and his big moment, which is at least some kind of atmosphere, although not a desired one.

The most interesting thing about the main event is how they handle the finish. If it's just Reigns closing the show posing with the belt it's going to be messy. They need to be smart about it - The Rock turning up doesn't even work.

I know I'm well behind the times but I finally got around to watching the match from Fastlane recently. Loved the match, but something I noticed was how careful they had to be with the camera shots when Reigns won. Loads of tight shots on him and then select picking out of the fans who were cheering without ever pulling back and showing the whole audience, and especially not the first few rows.

I wonder why they did that. The Usos got fucked there either because of CM Punk or Cesaro.

Why because of those two? Surely Punk leaving couldn't have knackered anyones Mania plans up

Because the only real explanations for the Usos' tag title win being bumped to Raw are that it was to give the Chicago Raw some oomph to keep the CM Punk chants at bay, or because the Real Americans split leading to Cesaro's tilwerememberhowdevoidofpersonalityheis singles push was the story that needed telling at WrestleMania.
Fair enough with the Punk one, the pop Cesaro got when he picked Show up though is literally something only he could've done, if he's a shit personality but he's getting over then they should've found a way round it, not keeping him heel and sticking him with Heyman, who he spent about 5 minutes with onscreen

They let him do a big strongman thing with Big Show, and they let him do one with Khali. They played to all of his strengths, literally, but they couldn't do that every week. Regardless, even if he'd surprised everyone and been brilliant after winning the trophy, it'd still have been a fucker for the Usos getting their big WrestleMania moment if that's why plans changed. Although it'd likely have been a WrestleMania pre-show moment anyway.

Archived