The Space Thread

Undefeated Steak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck, 30 years ago???

I was only 6 and I vividly can remember seeing it exploding in the sky above my house in Dublin.
I have no idea why that memory is in my head, because it didn't happen, but...yeah...because Total Recall.

I also vividly remember seeing France vs Brazil at Mexico 86 IN Mexico, when I spent that summer in a caravan park near Fannystown, Co.Wexford.

• 2 weeks later...

Scientists have discovered gravitational waves from black holes. Big news, but it's still no alien megastructure discovery, that's fo sho. 

From the BBC:

"... the detection was one of the most important developments in science since the discovery of the Higgs particle, and on a par with the determination of the structure of DNA.

"There is a Nobel Prize in it - there is no doubt," he told the BBC.

"It is the first ever direct detection of gravitational waves; it's the first ever direct detection of black holes and it is a confirmation of General Relativity because the property of these black holes agrees exactly with what Einstein predicted almost exactly 100 years ago."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35524440

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

One funky thing I've managed to do is set up an automation to change my phone wallpaper to the NASA Astronomical Picture Of The Day, using the If That Then This website. I've had some pretty awesome wallpapers as a result.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post but I read something last night that's rather mind blowing. All the pictures we see of nebulae are of them within our own galaxy. I always thought they were much further away. Almost all of those pictures in the slide a few posts back are within the Milky Way. I also didn't realise that our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years across.

When you look at the deep field picture in the first post of all the different galaxies, it gives some idea of how vast space is, and that's just what we can observe.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I have recently stumbled across the Fermi paradox and thought it would be worth sharing.

Per wiki = 

The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the lack of evidence and high probability estimates for the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations

What I am interested in is your explanations for the paradox. Choices are -

• Extraterrestrial life is rare or non-existent
  • No other intelligent species have arisen
  • Intelligent alien species lack advanced technology
  • It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself
  • It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy others
  • Periodic extinction by natural events
  • Intelligent civilizations are too far apart in space or time
  • It is too expensive to spread physically throughout the galaxy
  • Human beings have not existed long enough
  • Humans are not listening properly
  • Civilizations broadcast detectable radio signals only for a brief period of time
  • They tend to isolate themselves
  • They are too alien
  • Everyone is listening, no one is transmitting
  • Earth is deliberately not contacted (AKA Zoo hypothesis - we're being watched!)
  • Earth is purposely isolated (planetarium hypothesis) we are living in one big simulation
  • It is dangerous to communicate
  • They are here undetected
  • They are here unacknowledged

For me I would probably go with "They are too alien". Countless events over billions of years have forged life as we know it. If one tiny detail was different life would be unrecognisable, so I struggle to believe that somewhere out there is a planet with life anywhere close to anything like Earth. I believe there is something out there, but I don't think our brains can comprehend whatever it is.

• Paid Members

Intelligent civilizations are too far apart in space or time would be my answer. I 100% believe that other, intelligence species exist in the universe, but the universe is...mind mindbogglingly big. Even our own galaxy is brain meltingly big. The chances of us coming across each other are infinitesimally small. Even picking up communications, intended for us or otherwise, is unlikely since radio is a technology that even we've moved on from, for the most part.

Archived