The Space Thread

Undefeated Steak

A combination of all of the above listed and more.

Seriously though... it's hard to put into words just how mind boggling the truth could be. You even have to start throwing extra questions at the Fermi paradox if you're to get out of rigid thinking and start thinking about it in terms of multidimensional arseholery. For instance "everyone is listening, no one is transmitting". Who says they can listen? Who says they can transmit? For that reason without wanting to overthink it right now I'd probably go with "they are too alien" as well. I do kind of scoff when people go "of course there's no aliens weirdo, how could they breath?". Honestly, like? As much as I have a vague belief in the end goal of human scientific endeavour being to have complete and total manipulation of matter there is a pretty fine chance we will never have the tools to detect or interact with alien life.

If we ever do there is an even bigger chance our minds wouldn't even be able to process what we encounter enough to have a rational discourse on it. It could feel like a stroke for all we know.

Elon Musk has genuinely offered up the hypothesis of human life being a simulation/experiment as an answer to the Fermi paradox, hasn't he? And he's pretty smart, if utterly insane. I still admit I quite dig highly poetic, probable nonsense like Terence McKenna's idea of the imagination being the universal library of what's real (i.e. if you can imagine it, it exists in some form).

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Yep, the Trappist-1 system discovery is really exciting! I just wish we were closer to discovering long-range space travel, or even faster-than-light travel/hyperspace (yes, it has ​been theorised to be possible by Michio Kaku). If we survive that long as a species, of course.

I'm not 100% how good it's going to be, but would the James Webb Space Telescope give us more insight on that system, (when it's up in space).

If I read the site correctly, its "only" 40 light years away, so even if we managed Light-Speed travel, 40 years in space isn't THAT bad.

Archived