The Space Thread

Undefeated Steak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Space is one of those things I just have to love. I was a member of the British Interplanetary Society for a brief while (when I had money to spare), and got access to lots of reports and pics.

Anyway, for those of you who love it like I do, there are some great Twitter accounts to follow:

@sunjammersail - The Sunjammer Mission, the people who are looking into building a solar-sail spacecraft, which could very likely be the next means of interplanetary propulsion.

@ABCStarStuff - Puts out, re-tweets and curates space-related news regularly. Well worth following.

@nasahqphoto - For an extra helping of gorgeous space pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As a kid my most prized possession was a ridiculously expensive telescope which had everything. You could type in what you wanted to see and it would find pretty much anything, I would spend hours looking into the sky. Nothing has fascinated me more, it was one of my few passions in life. Plus there is no better date than getting a blanket and looking at the stars with a girl!

I have watched The Elegant Universe special about 50 times and never tire from it. If anyone's not watched it, it's easy to find on YouTube. It deals with gravity beautifully, I may well have to watch it again as its been a while. I also enjoy Horizon as it's easily the best show which deals with science, it's a show that doesn't treat you like an idiot which I love. Recently they dealt with dark matter and gravitons. Tonight at 12.20am it's one on the solar system, though think it's a repeat. Still worth watching though in case anyone hasn't seen it. There are so many shows which deal with space in an intellectual way which I really appreciate.

There was a period when I was convinced Betelgeuse was going to explode (well already had and it just reaching us) and we were gonna look up at night and see the supernova. I still hold out hope, I mean it is predicted to happen any day now... And by that I mean anytime in the next 100,000 years.

There was a period when I was convinced Betelgeuse was going to explode (well already had and it just reaching us) and we were gonna look up at night and see the supernova. I still hold out hope, I mean it is predicted to happen any day now... And by that I mean anytime in the next 100,000 years.

I'm hoping that shit goes off (read: has already gone off and reaches us...) before I die too. I recently saw a supernova through my telescope, which was a definite big tick on my list of shit I have to see, but to see one with the naked eye during broad daylight, which would be the case with Betelgeuse, would have me spaffing like no man has spaffed before.

I'm also looking forward to getting our first real look at Pluto in a few months. Failing Betelgeuse, it looks like that's going to be the event of the year for space fans.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived