Ferguson (the place, not the man.)

Ron&Hermione

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retaliation rarely creates sympathy in any situation.

That's not true. A lot of white folks are the guilty, patronising kind of racist, where they cast any black lad doing a misdeed as a noble savage mistreated by his masters, a dog kicked until it bit back. That sort of honky will always have sympathy for someone coming home from the riots with a new free iPod, or a policeman's blood on his shoe. They'd still sell their house if he moved in next door, though.

And a lot of white folks are the traditional kind of racist, who want chalkie to stay in his cage and will keep him in it with a stick if they can. The ones who get to carry sticks often fall into that group. Institutional racism leads to extreme cases of civil unrest, and looting is always going to happen when the opportunity presents itself in our empty consumerist society. The only solution is to establish a new system built on love and equality and sharing rather than tax-dodging capitalism, greed and white male privilege. The way to achieve this is explained in white multimillionaire Russell Brand's new book, Revolution. Available now from Amazon and Waterstones and Tesco.

There's only a certain point up to which you can convince people not to riot, and that they should just let the system sort itself out.

To the threadstarter — police aren't racist. The police are racist.

And I don't mean Sting and his mates. Although they were cultural appropriators.

I guess this something I just can't believe, which is definitely a product of my enviroment and the life I've had. So I guess me looking at the riots & the reaction to the verdict from my perspective they just make no sense at all. But from a group of people have lived with the tension and life of "whitey can do what the want, especially to po po" then yeah, I imagine this is final straw.

Has anyone looked at the evidence which was released? It does make for some interesting reading as all the evidence, both physical and scientific, points to what officer Wilson said. Now, I guess this is completely where my non interactions with the police come in. Surely they couldn't have lied to such a degree just for a lowly officer? There were statements from black witnesses saying exactly what officer Wilson said. After this all calms down, after everyone reads the evidence, will the narrative change? Or will it just be the same mistrust?

Oh and if anyone wants their brains to explode, definitely watch the coverage from Fox News. You know what, everytime I think to myself "nah, people are just making up this everyone is racist narrative. They just hate rich whitey" I turn on Fox News and see a hot white woman cut off the token black man and then essentially make officer Wilson the hero.

• Paid Members

Or better yet, read these tweets. Dirty bunch of bastards.

There's definitely an under-reported echo chamber effect on the left, as well as the right, which magnifies situations like this — it creates a narrative of paranoia. However, that doesn't mean that the paranoia is misplaced; it just means that people come off looking like conspiracy loons, when there are definite underlying issues — a prime example was the ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY!!! that the Michael Brown memorial had been torched by spiteful cops.

Or better yet, read these tweets. Dirty bunch of bastards.

There's definitely an under-reported echo chamber effect on the left, as well as the right, which magnifies situations like this — it creates a narrative of paranoia. However, that doesn't mean that the paranoia is misplaced; it just means that people come off looking like conspiracy loons, when there are definite underlying issues — a prime example was the ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY!!! that the Michael Brown memorial had been torched by spiteful cops.

Hahaha, wow. Those are perfect examples of what I watched. The right are far more entertaining than the left in these cases, but it's good to see you brought up the left also. As they also do share in the sensalationism, just not to a idiotic level as the right.

Anyway, this thread was worth it just for the Black Friday joke alone.

• Paid Members

One good thing about it is, at least Hogan got the rub from the copper.

Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson Told Grand Jury Michael Brown Was 'Like a Demon,' Like 'Hulk Hogan'

Damon Root|

In his testimony to the grand jury, Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson described Michael Brown, the unarmed teenager he shot and killed, as an almost supernatural predator whose uncanny strength put the officer at mortal risk. Brown looked “like a demon” during their encounter, Wilson testified. “When I grabbed him the only way I can describe it is I felt like a five-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan...that’s just how big he felt and how small I felt just from grasping his arm.” Officer Wilson is six feet, four inches tall, and weighs 210 pounds.

Wilson's testimony also described Brown as possessing a seeming imperviousness to bullets. After being shot “at least once because he flinched,” Wilson told the grand jury, Brown “looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him. And the face that he had was looking straight through me, like I wasn’t even there, I wasn’t even anything in his way.” Wilson said Brown charged him at that point, prompting the final, fatal volley of shots.

Eyewitness accounts differ over what happened in the street that day. One eyewitness claims that Brown charged Wilson. Other eyewitnesses say Brown neither charged nor threatened the officer in the street. The grand jury clearly believed Wilson's version of the events. And because Michael Brown is dead by Wilson’s hand, we’ll never get to learn Brown’s side of the story.

Brown looked “like a demon” during their encounter, Wilson testified. “When I grabbed him the only way I can describe it is I felt like a five-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan...that’s just how big he felt and how small I felt just from grasping his arm.” Officer Wilson is six feet, four inches tall, and weighs 210 pounds.

Wilson's testimony also described Brown as possessing a seeming imperviousness to bullets. After being shot “at least once because he flinched,” Wilson told the grand jury, Brown “looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him. And the face that he had was looking straight through me, like I wasn’t even there, I wasn’t even anything in his way.” 

Man, that's some old-school racism right there!  The black savage, inhuman strength, all that.  Thank goodness he was white and civilised and had a gun.

209360_via-avalaunchmedia-com_591w.jpeg?

• Paid Members

Brown looked “like a demon” during their encounter, Wilson testified. “When I grabbed him the only way I can describe it is I felt like a five-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan...that’s just how big he felt and how small I felt just from grasping his arm.” Officer Wilson is six feet, four inches tall, and weighs 210 pounds.

Wilson's testimony also described Brown as possessing a seeming imperviousness to bullets. After being shot “at least once because he flinched,” Wilson told the grand jury, Brown “looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him. And the face that he had was looking straight through me, like I wasn’t even there, I wasn’t even anything in his way.” 

Man, that's some old-school racism right there!  The black savage, inhuman strength, all that.  Thank goodness he was white and civilised and had a gun.

209360_via-avalaunchmedia-com_591w.jpeg?

I'm going to guess that Darren Wilson had a cold that day, so instead of fighting Brown, he just drew down and shot him.

• Moderators

Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson Told Grand Jury Michael Brown Was 'Like a Demon,' Like 'Hulk Hogan'

Damon Root|

In his testimony to the grand jury, Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson described Michael Brown, the unarmed teenager he shot and killed, as an almost supernatural predator whose uncanny strength put the officer at mortal risk. Brown looked “like a demon” during their encounter, Wilson testified. “When I grabbed him the only way I can describe it is I felt like a five-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan...that’s just how big he felt and how small I felt just from grasping his arm.” Officer Wilson is six feet, four inches tall, and weighs 210 pounds.

Wilson's testimony also described Brown as possessing a seeming imperviousness to bullets. After being shot “at least once because he flinched,” Wilson told the grand jury, Brown “looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him. And the face that he had was looking straight through me, like I wasn’t even there, I wasn’t even anything in his way.” Wilson said Brown charged him at that point, prompting the final, fatal volley of shots.

Eyewitness accounts differ over what happened in the street that day. One eyewitness claims that Brown charged Wilson. Other eyewitnesses say Brown neither charged nor threatened the officer in the street. The grand jury clearly believed Wilson's version of the events. And because Michael Brown is dead by Wilson’s hand, we’ll never get to learn Brown’s side of the story.

My favourite "Everyday Hogan" reference is one from a man who held up an adder in each hand in Scotland in 2006 and got bit off them.

"I felt dead weak and all bloated. I was like Hulk Hogan, my arms were really blown up."

Archived