I Don't Get It

Vamp

We all have our guilty pleasures in wrestling, the people we get or the promotions we get that nobody else does. The ones we love when all around us call our love sick and twisted.

But there's also the things we don't get. There's the popular wrestlers that we feel nothing but apathy for, the five star classic match that leaves us cold. Sometimes we just want answers.

Chris Jericho. I don't get it. Never really have. He doesn't connect with me on any level. I find him uninspiring in the ring. Nothing he does feels very solid to me. And yet there are people who don't just like him but consider him their favourite. To quote a far more entertaining wrestler, what's up with that? I don't think he's rotten. I just don't get why people think he's great. Or even very good. I'm largely apathetic.

Samoa Joe vs Daniels vs AJ. The internet fell in love with this match, I'm pretty sure Meltzer rained stars for it. I watched it at the time and it was alright. But it certainly didn't strike me as anything special. It was just a match. Not a bad match, but not a classic either. I don't think I've ever been compelled to watch it again except out of my confusion as to what makes it so highly regarded.

Do you have the answers United Kingdom of Fascists Forum? Can you explain the mysteries of the matches that leave your fellow nationalists cold? Or do you too have something you just can't get the love for? Is it keeping you up at night? Are you torturing people in your never ending quest to find out why people love Rock vs Hogan? If you are, you should probably seek professional help since that match is awesome, but we're here for you too. Probably with sarcastic responses.

First one to say Wargames 92 wins all of our respect and death by Butch.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this phenomenon just an extension of normal human behaviour? I don't like my neighbour. He's never done anything to upset me and by all accounts he's a pretty stand-up guy. Still, I'd like nothing better than to frying-pan him in the face whenever I see him. I don't have this urge with Chris Jericho.

RVD. Never liked him and never will. Whenever he does the "Rob Van Dam" thumb thing in a backstage interview, I want to punch him in the face for being a cringey bastard.

His ECW stuff was mostly uncomfatble to watch.

His first WWE run, he was so far out of his depth being in the ring with people like Austin and Kurt Angle at the start, before he settled into the Intercontinental position and having numerous boring reigns. When he does finally get the world title too, the loser goes and fucks it up, which was a blessing in thinly vailed disguise.

His TNA run was worst of all. He single handily killed them and started their downfall. OK thats a bit Harsh, but he was really wank!

Also, Rey Mysterio is a fucking knobber!

Christian. . Yes, he's good in the ring, doesn't do anything spectacularly amazing or awful... he's just there. I don't miss him when he's injured, I shrug when he's back. I just don't see the appeal.

• Paid Members

Hulk Hogan. I've got no idea how he ever caught on to such an extent. Don't get me wrong, he cuts a great promo, the gear was unique and the theme song was impressive. But the second the bell rings, he's exposed at a balding, middle aged bloke (he looked 50 in 1985) with a bad 'tache, limited movement and, even for pro-wrestling, ridiculous mannerisms.

I've never got it. In the late 80's, Randy Savage was a billion times cooler than Hogan. Yet didn't catch on to the same extent.

Also, how did anyone really get behind Hogan? There was rarely any fear of him losing. No-one ever got any heat on him and certainly didn't get the last word. Watched the cage match against the Bossman from SNME recently. Hogan takes a massive kick-in from Zeus beforehand, then is outnumbered by BBM and Slick and still gives everyone a pasting. How do you sell the next fight on the back of that? No idea.

I get the reaction to him once he became iconic. And I get why his heel turn was so epic. His stuff as Hollywood is brilliant. I've just never understood how that guy, with that look became the guy in the first place.

Also, those lower-card matches on Nitro during the period everyone wanked over it because WCW had this dream roster. What a load of shit. Too many faceless (literally) luchas. Too many guys no-one knew were even employed some weeks. And talk about random booking. One week you lose to Tony Schiavone's Mam, then you're off TV for 6 weeks, then you've got a US title shot!

I never got the love for Jeff Hardy, Christian, Ryback, Sheamus, Chris Jericho or Eddie G.

Since part of this is also to explain the appeal I can tackle three of them:

Jeff Hardy. When booked right (when he's in the big one) is great at playing the underdog. He's appeal is that he isn't quite like everyone else. He moves in a pretty unique way, he hits his swanton bomb in a pretty unique and reckless wat and he's pretty sound at timing and things. His character work in matches such as that ladder match against Undertaker and that fantastic match against Umaga when ever it was show his true quality I think.

Ryback. For one shining moment he was the big bad arse rolling through people when it didn't seem like a lot of people were doing that. And he got hot because of that. He's another one good at character work. Still a big missed opportunity in my book. That probably makes him all the more likable.

Eddie Guerrero. Again, all about the character work. He had a flair to everything he did and invested his all in the character of the last few years of his life.

Basically character, character, character.

• Paid Members
Bret Hart.Boring,moany cunt character who had mostly boring matches,unless he was in the ring with someone the fans gave a shite about.Same for Punk pretty much.

He was only a moany cunt when he was supposed to be. It was part of a brilliant year long heel turn. Unless you mean in WCW which I can't argue with because i pretend it never happened.

As for the matches, each to their own. But probably the most boring match Bret had was with Shawn Michaels. Though fans don't give a shit about him of course.

Obviously matches with Shawn, Diesel, Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Owen Hart, Samu, Chris Benoit, Ric Flair, Booker T, 123 Kid, Davey Boy, Steve Austin, Mr Perfect, Hakushi, Carl Oulette, Roddy Piper and Ted Dibiase were only really good because the fans gave a shit about the opponent.

Rob Van Dam in ECW is probably the biggest example of this for me. Most of his matches bored the piss right out of me. The Jerry Lynn stuff in 1999 was good. But even then, when it came into 2000/2001, their matches were shit. Supposedly good matches with Lance Storm? Boring. Supposedly good match with 2 Cold Scorpio? Genuinely horrendous.

I actually liked the Sabu stuff from 1996, but then you had their matches in 1998 and 2001 which just weren't very good at all.

I became quite the fan of RVD in WWE the longer he went on.

• Paid Members
I've just never understood how that guy, with that look became the guy in the first place.

It's worth remembering that in the 80s a bloke looking like Hogan looks like he's from a different World. There is a great video of Hogan on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1982. Carson spends the time asking Hogan how big he his and with every Hogan answer the crowd and Johnny gasp in amazement.

Also, we all know excessive testosterone and charisma causes MPB.

Archived