Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://wwe.me/DVl9A

Smackdown moves to Thursdays starting January 15th. Don't if that means anything to change in terms of us getting it or not, but it seems that they will be in the same time slot that TNA used to have. Could be a big factor in TNA's TV deals as Spike moved them to Wednesdays while negotiations went on and if Spike are going to keep them on they will most likely have to stay on Wednesdays

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's Smackdown. Because I have so little of a life that I watch this every week now.

The Dust Brothers are defending their tag titles against the Usos in a steel cage match. Remember when steel cages were blue? Remember when you could see what was going on in them without the camera pressing hard up against the mesh? Remember when steel cage matches were only used to end a feud that had been rife with running away/interference? Good times!

You know how this went by now. They did stuff. If I were the Usos I'd have had the non-legal man distract the Dust Brothers while he climbed over and won the match. In, like, five seconds. Ding ding ding! That's power booking.

The finish was slightly clever - Jey Uso weakening himself splashing Goldust, and the legal Stardust rolled him up - but this was a waste of everyone's time.

They recapped the Authority breakdown stuff from Raw. It was good.

Hey, it's Kane! He's talking. He said something really threatening - that we would have to watch him versus Ziggler in a steel cage match later. FFS! He also said that he'd seen someone on Raw who impressed him and called them out. Cesaro came out - jokes! - and Kane was, like, LOL. Then he said that Cesaro could fight the person he was really talking about - Ryback!

Meltzer claims Cesaro isn't being punished for making unwise remarks about the talent on top, but it's hard to see it any other way. At least they're giving him some offense in his matches now, and he got the most heat we've seen on Ryback since his comeback.

Ryback won and Kane got in the ring to talk to him but Ryback just left. Ha!

Hey, it's R-Truth! He's rapping like it's still 2001! He's fighting Adam Rose because Truth said the Bunny was more popular than Rose. Or something. I still love Adam Rose but he works so much better on NXT in a smaller environment. The Rosebuds are a bit lost here.

Anyway, the finish came when the Bunny distracted Rose by accident and Truth rolled Rose up. I swear half the fucking matches on these shows end with roll-ups. They're killing the move!

Rose got angry with the Bunny but then went back to partying and called the Bunny back to party.

(Weirdly, I caught Rose versus Axel Curtis on Superstars. The Bunny helped Rose win - yay!)

Peepshow, with Christian and Ambrose next. Christian is so smooth and natural - why isn't he wrestling anymore? Ambrose did good talky. Then the lights went and Wyatt came out. He sat in his rocking chair and said he would heal Ambrose. He talked about Ambrose's deadbeat dad. That made Ambrose mad and he walked up the ramp towards Wyatt. The lights went out again and when they came on Wyatt was stood behind Ambrose and said, "run!" The lights went out again and Wyatt had vanished... A Good Bit.

Parkinson's James Brown appeared again.

Backstage Renee Young was talking to AJ Lee. Brie apologised for slapping her and AJ said it was okay because she knew Nikki blah blah blah. Then Nikki shoved AJ down and told Brie to make her apology seem more real next time. They walked off and the camera focussed on AJ's arse for ages.

Shit, it's the women. They showed a bit from earlier where Tyson Kidd was bragging to Summer Rae and Layla about beating Sheamus. Natalya did not like that.

So it's Natalysa versus Summer Rae because womenamIright? Nothing much here. Natalya went for the sharpshooter and Kidd shouted, "put her in the sharpshooter!", and this apparently distracted her so Summer rare could, yep, roll her up.

What am I supposed to think here? Because all I can think is that Natalya is jealous and a poor, unfocussed professional wrestler.

Kidd smoothed things out by patting his wife on the head. Women love that.

They promised us Cena versus Ryback on Raw this week. *Shrug*

This next bit made me feel awkward. Some soldiers who had been injured in the line of duty were brought out and one of them walked after being paralysed, thanks to a new device. It should and have been all nice and ahh, and probably was to normal humans. Just made me feel uncomfortable.

Hey, it's main event time! It's Dolph Ziggler versus Kane, in a steel cage! Don't lie, you're always playing that on Wrestlemania 2K for your N64!

Ziggler was the world's smartest wrestler for most of this, just trying to escape from the big fella that fell over someone's legs on Raw. They did some stuff. Clever finish when Ziggler climbed over and Kane opened the door so Ziggler hung suspended on it. Kane was then going through the door when Ziggler swung it into him, and then dropped down for the win. At least it wasn't a fucking roll-up.

This did very little for me but I can see others might have liked it. A So-So Show.

. At least they're giving him some offense in his matches now, and he got the most heat we've seen on Ryback since his comeback.

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but when was the last time Cesaro had a match where he didn't have any offense? Is that another myth, just like the 'the women are good in NXT' thing I've seen you mention?

• Paid Members

Cesaro lost in straight falls in a 2/3 falls match on PPV and then got beat up without any offence the next night on Raw. He then got almost nothing in the Trick Or Street Fight, complete with humiliation ending, and is still losing. Maybe it's just me but he seems to be being punished.

And as for the women on NXT, you wash out your filthy lying mouth!

• Paid Members

There are different levels of punishment or burial in WWE. If you're still working featured matches, often in main event slots, on every Raw and every SmackDown and you're opening PPVs challenging for titles, then you're not really being punished. It just means you're not being pushed right now. Considering how fucking horrible Cesaro is at every aspect of his game other than the actual wrestling part, he's lucky to have the spot he does.

I know you're back from a wrestling hiatus Linus, so have you heard of Zack Ryder?

And as for the women on NXT, you wash out your filthy lying mouth!

To be fair, Sasha Banks is the best woman in all of the WWE right now. The rest of the NXT lot are shite mind.

Regarding Cesaro, I don't see him being punished. He's still having fairly competitive matches and he's losing to the likes of Ziggler, Ambrose and Ryback who are all getting pushed/heavily featured right now. It's not as if he's in the fancy-dress role Sandow was in a few months back and losing to Adam Rose in under a minute.

• Paid Members

Double posted here. Bloody phone. Anyway..

Parkinson's James Brown is brilliant work Linus, absolutely spot on. I'm totally nicking it from now on.

The Ambrose / Wyatt promo was the best bit of the show, really well done. Both Cage finishes were good, but the whole show suffered from the crowd being really quiet.

• Paid Members

There are different levels of punishment or burial in WWE. If you're still working featured matches, often in main event slots, on every Raw and every SmackDown and you're opening PPVs challenging for titles, then you're not really being punished. It just means you're not being pushed right now. Considering how fucking horrible Cesaro is at every aspect of his game other than the actual wrestling part, he's lucky to have the spot he does.

I know you're back from a wrestling hiatus Linus, so have you heard of Zack Ryder?

The Cesaro thing is what it is. He said some unwise things and got buried for a week and a half. He's coming back out of that, but there was no sensible reason (and this is where I obviously fall down) to feed him to Ryback based on recent booking.

I'm vaguely aware of Zack Ryder. Collects toys, works social media to get pops?

Cesaro lost in straight falls in a 2/3 falls match on PPV

If you're using that match -- where he hammered Dolph Ziggler with tons of moves -- as part of your "Cesaroburialpunishlolz" conspiracy, then you're on a hiding to nothing. As others have said, losses to Ziggler (who was en route to being Cena's right hand man), Ambrose (the company's #2 babyface) and the newly-superpushed Ryback are far, far from some kind of punishment burial. You've bought into nonsensical bullshit that you probably read from an idiot on another forum.

I don't think he's being punished, he's not losing 3 second matches to hornswoggle. He's being used as heat up heel for acts they have plans for. I'd imagine he's far happier now than ever. He seems clever enough to know his place.

Archived