Films / TV shows you hate

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Scott Pilgrim vs. My Arse - What a great big smug steaming pile of shite. I don't understand if I was supposed to despise every character, or if it was an unfortunate byproduct. I spent a few years avoiding this film, partly because most of the people that raved about it were twats, partly because I despised having people dig me in the ribs metaphorically AND physically and saying, "that comes from a comic, that does. You like comics, don't you? Go see this fucking stupid looking movie that just happens to come from (what looks to be a woeful and annoying) comic [i may be editorializing here]", and partly because it just looked cunt awful. It was. Most everything about it was shite, from Cera right down to the cute little video game graphics. Edgar Wright is probably better than this, but maybe it was just some sort of autistic fluke that he made those choc ice films, or maybe he only functions in Britain, with British actors, on a British budget. Maybe, just maybe, I don't like smug American comics filtered through a Wapanese lens and then filmed as an American indie movie filtered through the arse of a My Little Pony. The whole thought of ever watching it again, or having to even see a clip again, makes me want to take a big shit. I feel like going to the library and tearing up copies of the "GWAFIK NOVELL". Bollocks.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When I watched some clips of that for the film poll last year I could feel myself getting angry just watching snippets of it. It looked incredibly shit and annoying.

• Paid Members
However, this bloke, who describes Seinfeld as 'just formulaic, bog-standard American comedy', thinks the fucking Big Bang Theory is a work of genius. When you dispute this point with him, it's because it's 'too clever' for you to get.

No. The Big Bang Theory is clever comedy for dumb people. The use of amusing sounding long words, and Compulsive Obsessive behaviour with scientific formulae aren't there for academic credibility. They're because the words sound funny, and because the characters have obsessions that we laugh at.

Fuck.

Well with Family Guy, I'd guess that episode of South Park taking the piss out of the way Family Guy make their jobs sort of formed an opinion for me.

South Park told you what your opinion was?

• Paid Members

Iv'e thought of another film I absolutely hate, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, what an unlikeable twat the character of Ferris is, absolutely hated him throughout the whole film as he was a constant dick to pretty much everyone around him. The near psychotic character of Cameron was totally off balance with the rest of the film too. Hate hate hate this piece of self serving shit. Would anyone on here who thinks it's iconic or whatever tell me why? I first watched it back to back with The Breakfast club when I was about 16, the latter one was ace though.

• Paid Members

I felt that accusation might come my way. as much as a bitter failure as I am now from the ages of 16-19 I enjoyed myself, had a few female liaisons and aced all my A levels, while I never disrupted a parade the opportunities were plentiful here in Northern Ireland, I was just worried it might lead to my death. Seriously though I just couldn't get on with him at all he was seemingly a dick sheerly for the sake of it. I actually like Broderick in other things so who knows.

• Moderators
while I never disrupted a parade the opportunities were plentiful here in Northern Ireland, I was just worried it might lead to my death.

:laugh:

Well then maybe you were having too much fun to find him an inspirational character.

Clearly you weren't having the right level of fun, whatever the case.

I can completely see why you might not like Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ferris is a really preppy, spoiled, self-obsessed brat who makes everyone else's lives miserable. Through the magic of film, he's turned into a zeitgeist inspiration figure for the 80s slacker generation, a force for positivity and the wonder of teenage years. But if you were watching it for the first time now, you might think "what the fuck, what a little shit". Charlie Sheen's character is much cooler by today's standards.

It's also a massive love letter to Chicago, that film. It's probably about the city as much as the characters.

• Paid Members

Star Wars as a whole series of films. They're not completely awful, but they're only about 10% as good as the horrible fans of them make out. I think that's my main hate for them, it's not particularly the quality but more the fact the people who are really into them push them as like these life-changing films when they're not. They're shoddy looking merch-pushers, no more sophisticated than something like Power Rangers.

• Paid Members

I don't think the fanatical fans of Star Wars (and I do love the original three and think they're great) are any better or worse than the fanatical fans of many other film franchises out there. They're clearly more sophisticated than Power Rangers, whether you like them or not.

people who are really into them push them as like these life-changing films when they're not.

For a lot of guys of a certain age though, they ARE life-changing films. Not in the dramatic, lost-my-arm-in-an-accident way, but in a shaped-who-I-became way. I can draw a direct line between watching Star Wars every morning before school for about 6 months, and what I do for a living now.

Star Wars stopped being just a bunch of films pretty quickly and became a cultural reference point. Not that many films do that.

I don't think the fanatical fans of Star Wars (and I do love the original three and think they're great) are any better or worse than the fanatical fans of many other film franchises out there. They're clearly more sophisticated than Power Rangers, whether you like them or not.

As we discussed before, the worst fans are clearly Rocky Horror fans. Pisswipes, each and every last one of them.

• Paid Members

As we discussed before, the worst fans are clearly Rocky Horror fans. Pisswipes, each and every last one of them.

Tosh.

No elitism, or groups trying to out-geek each other with trivia. Nobody criticising others for outfits not being authentic enough. Good bunch, I found.

Archived