Films / TV shows you hate

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Life of PI spoilers

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Yeah the CGI was shit. The rest? was all made up the real story is the one about his mother and the evil cook there where no animals, the tiger was him it was never real

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Why would the making up of such an unbelievable story make someone believe in God? All it does is muddy the insurance claim and make the journalist guy think he's a tit. Did you not pick up on how it tied into his adopting of the multiple religions?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Life of PI spoilers

Yeah the CGI was shit. The rest? was all made up the real story is the one about his mother and the evil cook there where no animals, the tiger was him it was never real

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Why would the making up of such an unbelievable story make someone believe in God? All it does is muddy the insurance claim and make the journalist guy think he's a tit. Did you not pick up on how it tied into his adopting of the multiple religions?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

yeah i did, i got it as his childs mind was so fucked up it made up the story to shield him from the horror of the truth. like you said the story was total fantasy (man eating islands ect)

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I guess you read into it what you want.

• Paid Members

I hate every UK soap opera currently running on TV. Thank God we have gadgets like on demand tv and sky plus so we get a half decent choice of TV at prime time nowadays. Its far fetched, on too much, and no one goes to the pub that much and not have liver damage.

Hmm, this is going to be pretty hard, because my opinions of these shows is heavily influenced by the fact that they are, inevitably, shit.

-The Big Bang Theory: Working in a university media department, I inevitably come into contact with some pretentious sorts. The worst of these is a bloke who thinks that being aware of concepts like ideology and gender representation in the media means abandoning all populist tastes. For instance, he has a mental block on accepting that I love the film Taken, and that there's no irony involved in that opinion. I just think it's a fucking great movie. He's also incapable of having a conversation about TV or film without dropping media studies buzzwords all over the shop.

However, this bloke, who describes Seinfeld as 'just formulaic, bog-standard American comedy', thinks the fucking Big Bang Theory is a work of genius. When you dispute this point with him, it's because it's 'too clever' for you to get (a suggestion which makes my head spin), and the odd in-joke aimed at comic book collectors and sci-fi bloggers like him somehow raises it from the level of the sort of broad shitcom that is the only thing Chuck Lorre knows how to write and turns it into something akin to Frasier. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's masturbatory shite that convinces anal anoraks like him that their obsession and faux-elitism over things that most people grow out of during puberty is quirky and endearing, rather than just irritating, and exactly the sort of thing that gets girls who look like Kaley Cuoco wet these days. And this is why I hate The Big Bang Theory - it's not just because it's shit, it's because its fans see a recognition of its shitness as evidence that you're just not clever enough to get it.

-Sex and the City: A vapid love letter to materialism that somehow gets passed off as 'feminist' by academics and critics who should really know better. It's what would happen if you based an entire TV series on an episode of Loose Women or the Beyonce song 'Single Ladies', with all the depth and substance that that entails.

Well with Family Guy, I'd guess that episode of South Park taking the piss out of the way Family Guy make their jobs sort of formed an opinion for me. I just don't think it has anything unique about it and just doesn't appeal to me. Scrubs is another popular one for alot of people. I've never really liked it, also the way most scenes in Scrubs ends with a small piece of music just grinds my gears.

Edit: It's rather difficult to describe why you hate something like a TV Show. As often if I think it's shit I will change the channel and not other think what exactly is shit about it other than it just doesn't click.

Also The Big Bang Theory is awful.

I've never really been able to enjoy Big Bang theory since someone posted that youtube where they'd just looped 10 seconds of shit laughter track under the start of an episode. Now when I watch it, I realise that's really all it is. Still fancy Penny though.

I understand the hatred of Thin Red Line. It's still an amazing film though but it's hardly a laugh a minute. The New World, now that I really disliked.

I really, really didn't like Inglourious Basterds. All the reasons people give for why they like it, are reasons I hated it. I really disliked the use of music, I thought the Basterds were really paper-thin and bland, I thought Brad Pitt was awful. The ending completely undermined the whole film - it's like if Tom Cruise had successfully assassinated Hitler at the end of Valkyrie. And the scene in the bar couldn't have been more annoying if Tarantino himself had been sat next to me constantly poking me in the ribs, going "you get it? see? how clever is THIS? HOW CLEVER MY WRITING IS! LOOK AT HOW LONG I CAN DO THIS!! LOVE ME!!"

It's also too long. Get a better editor and make shorter films, Tarantino, you self indulgent bastard, you're not Terence Mallik ;)

All this is only compounded by how fabulous the first 10 minutes are. You make me so angry, Quentin. Why can't you make a WHOLE FILM that is like that. One tone, one idea, perfectly executed and edited. How dare you come up with such a great character as Hans Landa and then not have the film be about him. You're able to coax such fabulous performances out of actors, and then you give Eli Roth screen time.

Archived