Raw 22nd July Review/Thoughts

BUTCH'S BIG POLL: What is the TV match of the year so far?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
No it wasn't. If the guys who got entrances on the pre-show did so for jobber/unimportant status, it would've been Wade Barrett or Cesaro/Swagger, not Ambrose and Fandango.

Could be wrong K-Pits, but Ambrose didn't even come out through the crowd on the Pre-Show.

He was just there in the ring, after a video segment or something. I realise I'm paraphrasing our Ian-o here but for people who aren't arsed with the pre-show, it looked like the Brose and Fandango got the old Pistol Whatley treatment (Ambrose more so), and I fully agree with that.

I watched the pre-show on youtube the following night and I think they could have given that entrance spot - as you alluded to, sir - to The Real Americans and have the great Zeb waxing lyrical as the show opened.

My take on it anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Although Ambrose's 'Mike Sharpe/Jim Powers' entrance during MITB was disconcerting.

No it wasn't. If the guys who got entrances on the pre-show did so for jobber/unimportant status, it would've been Wade Barrett or Cesaro/Swagger, not Ambrose and Fandango.

I know you don't like it Kingy, byt Cesaro and Swagger are higher on the card than bloody Fandango is. He's been a non entity for a while.

Wouldn't worry too much about the shield. They have to pare them back whilst the Wyatt family are coming up, I guess, and Ambrose hasnt reach their typical "he's got the us belt, lets have him lose all the time", which is a big plus. They'd have been overplayed if it had carried on, now they've lost havign them turned down for a bit (before murdering someone high up the card, punk maybe) in a few months isn't a bad idea.

I'd love to see a wyatt family shield feud, but then I'm greedy

I thought it looked like, especially with him mentioning Vince not liking Bryan, that Cena will turn heel at Summerslam? Probably wrong but if they're ever going to do it, it'd make perfect sense now, it'd fit with Cena being Vince's golden boy or whatever

I fast forwarded through a lot so how come Riley was stood with Maddox backstage? Looked like a couple

Cena isn't turning, though if they wanted an interesting take on the expected Vince/HHH 'future of the company' feud, then they could do worst than having Cena side with the old man who gave him his chance and have HHH pick the guy who he's already called the future of the company.

They won't, though.

I see someone, possibly the Wyatt family, coming down to beat down D-Bry/Cena after Bryan's triumph only for a few members of the babyface locker room to empty (including Orton) to help fend off the attack. As everyone basks In the glory, Orton hits a sneaky RKO, a ref appears from the back with the briefcase on cue and HEY PRESTO; instant prick champion.

]

I know you don't like it Kingy, byt Cesaro and Swagger are higher on the card than bloody Fandango is. He's been a non entity for a while.

Cesaro has never been anything but a non-entity, and Swagger has been the same since WrestleMania (plus about 80% of his career). They got in the Raw main event this week, but so did the likes of Test and Albert when there was a "nasty boss sets gauntlet" story. Fandango isn't the priority he was pre-concussion, but if you really think him and Ambrose had their entrances on the pre-show because they're the lowest men in the match, you need your belief system examining.

I fast forwarded through a lot so how come Riley was stood with Maddox backstage? Looked like a couple

I'd forgotten that! It wasn't explained at all, but it was like Riley was his Chief Morley. Thought it was odd Riley calling Bryan "the kid" as well when Bryan's been in WWE longer than him.

• Paid Members
]

Cesaro has never been anything but a non-entity, and Swagger has been the same since WrestleMania (plus about 80% of his career). They got in the Raw main event this week, but so did the likes of Test and Albert when there was a "nasty boss sets gauntlet" story. Fandango isn't the priority he was pre-concussion, but if you really think him and Ambrose had their entrances on the pre-show because they're the lowest men in the match, you need your belief system examining.

I don't. I think Ambrose was out first because the otehr shield boys were in the pre show. I'm just saying that if that *was* the case, fandango would be the guy you'd have there.

• Paid Members
I think Ambrose was out first because the otehr shield boys were in the pre show.

That was the reality. He effectively entered during their victory celebration, coming down to congratulate them and join in the "three fists" pose on the announce table.

Whether doing that on the pre-show indicates he's out of favour or not I'll leave to individual decisions, but he definitely didn't just appear - there was a purpose for him being down at ringside.

• Paid Members
She, admittedly unintentionally, flashed a tit on a pg show. Do you honestly think the reaction would be any different over here? A wink and a nudge "here you go boys, that ones for free"?

Yeah, completely different. Remember when Janet Jackson had her wardrobe malfunction? It was like somebody had died. This country is nowhere as conservative when it comes to that. It'd just become a bit of humour, like Judy Finnighan and her massive goose-feather pillows that time.

• Paid Members
She, admittedly unintentionally, flashed a tit on a pg show. Do you honestly think the reaction would be any different over here? A wink and a nudge "here you go boys, that ones for free"?

Yeah, completely different. Remember when Janet Jackson had her wardrobe malfunction? It was like somebody had died. This country is nowhere as conservative when it comes to that. It'd just become a bit of humour, like Judy Finnighan and her massive goose-feather pillows that time.

That was the Super Bowl, on a Sunday afternoon and the most watched programme of the year (probably). It's not a fair comparison.

• Paid Members

WWE attracts the lowest common denominator anyway. If Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake did a live sex celebration in the middle on the field, people would have done more that "typical white trash entertainment" like they did with Edge and Lita. It wouldn't stun me if it was a publicity stunt. Not saying I think it was mind. You'd have got the one with the wazzo pair of jugs to whip them out if it were I reckon.

Could be wrong K-Pits, but Ambrose didn't even come out through the crowd on the Pre-Show.

He was just there in the ring, after a video segment or something.

He appeared celebrating with his mates after they won their match.

I realise I'm paraphrasing our Ian-o here but for people who aren't arsed with the pre-show, it looked like the Brose and Fandango got the old Pistol Whatley treatment (Ambrose more so), and I fully agree with that.

The only people that are aware of concepts like "jobber entrances" should also be aware of WWE using the pre-show to sell pay-per-views. If someone watches the event without the pre-show, they're either casual enough to be completely unaware of "he didn't get an entrance, BURIAL" type nonsense on the internet anyway or they misread what was happening. To cut time on the show and get on-the-fence viewers ordering, WWE sent the two most popular/over guys out then. Dean Ambrose is in no way lower on the totem pole than Wade Barrett.

I watched the pre-show on youtube the following night and I think they could have given that entrance spot - as you alluded to, sir - to The Real Americans and have the great Zeb waxing lyrical as the show opened.

My take on it anyway.

They could have, but WWE are well aware that Ambrose and Fandango are far more able at getting people on the phone to the pay-per-view provider than Swagger and Cesaro. They're no doubt hoping this week's Raw main event has closed that gap somewhat, though.

Archived