Look who's back in da fold ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positive I've actually read an interview from a few years ago where he made a similar statement. I'm sure it was promoting his appearance in that awful Legends of Wrestling: Showdown. I'm not 100% sure but I think it came about after him slagging off WCW for being run badly, it made him appreciate Vince's ability to run the WWF well, even if he didn't like him.

Remember Diesel got a great pop returning at the Rumble a few years back, then got zero reaction from the crowd at or leading to his PPV with HHH (I can only assume because the WWE teenybop universe wasn't familiar with him) the lack of reaction when he walked out at that PPV was cringeable...

My question is - do you think The Woya would suffer the same fate?

I say 'no' as his character resonated with kids back in the day.

• Paid Members
Remember Diesel got a great pop returning at the Rumble a few years back, then got zero reaction from the crowd at or leading to his PPV with HHH (I can only assume because the WWE teenybop universe wasn't familiar with him) the lack of reaction when he walked out at that PPV was cringeable...

Bollocks. He got a huge pop at the Rumble. Got a huge pop when he power bombed CM Punk and then rotten booking and stop start angles lead to diminishing returns and a lack of interest in the storylines. People knew him, reacted to him and treated him as a big deal. By the time he got to the ladder match, he wasn't a big deal. And he was a heel for all but one appearance. Heel legends are usually met with indifference.

WWE's audience is mostly watched by people in their 20s up to people in their 40s. That's the majority of their audience. Not kids. The legends always get massive reactions. Always. Everyone from Roddy Piper to Hacksaw Duggan. If you make people care, they will care. Same with Sting. He'll be a huge deal if they make him a huge deal. If they dont, he wont be much of anything. That's the same as everyone. Just look at Ryback.

Don't think it helped that Nash was absolutely dreadful in every interview he did post Summerslam, I imagine newer viewers were just wondering who the bloke with the dyed hair was who kept fluffing his lines in promos

You're right about the booking being bad though, Nash, Punk, Miz, R-Truth, Del Rio were all booked all over the shop around that time

• Paid Members
Don't think it helped that Nash was absolutely dreadful in every interview he did post Summerslam

I didn't have a clue what they were feuding over or what Eddie Guerrero had to do with Nash powerboming Punk. How was he supposed to follow it and deliver his lines. Both men were rubbish. Punk and Nash was a horrendous mix. All insider bullshit, where they had to play pretend using the rumour mill. The Punk and Nash feud was the Youtube comments section in human form. Was a daft way to use a nostalgia act. They should have made him a bodyguard and played off his past if they wanted him as a heel. Or if you wanted to get more millage out of him, but him against a bumping heel and let him be funny. Everything about the way WWE handled it was rotten.

I'd struggle to think of a more poorly capitalized angle. Bring him back to a good pop, then turn him heel, make him do insider based interviews, forgot to give him a Wellness test and send him away for weeks, then make him stand around doing fuck all while Triple H sells his injures and finish it off with a 50 year old 7 foot bloke with no cartilages in his knees wrestling in a fucking ladder match. If that whole angle wasn't done to get back at Nash for shitting his Sunny's sarnie or shouting at a photographer in the mid-90s, then they must have been clueless. It looked like a hatchet job all the way through it.

Don't think it helped that Nash was absolutely dreadful in every interview he did post Summerslam, I imagine newer viewers were just wondering who the bloke with the dyed hair was who kept fluffing his lines in promos

You're right about the booking being bad though, Nash, Punk, Miz, R-Truth, Del Rio were all booked all over the shop around that time

Post Summerslam 2011 there was some really piss rotten shite the WWE was throwing out. Does anybody remember that horrible Raw where Triple H put Punk on commentary in a blazer and told him to make pipebombs or some shite like that. The episode also had some other utterly dreadful shite which could have happened over a course of a few weeks but happened on one episode. I remember listening to Meltz ripping the shit out of it on a podcast.

Have to agree. I did start to wonder what 'shoot' or interview he did that made WWE so obviously want to f**k with him? Either that or they hated a former TNA talent getting such a pop & sh*t on it for that reason. WWE has self harmed so many times its rediculous.

I do think Vince is a Warrior mark. No one other than Hogan got paid like he did or was allowed to dictate like he did. For someone WWE & even WCW lauded as being crap they were certainly happy to bring him in multiple times (wwf), give in to his demands & pay him a fortune.

Mad to think though that some 17 yrs after his last wwf run. And it being 21 years since he was a fulltime wrestler that his promoting a game is such a big deal.

• Paid Members

Post Summerslam 2011 there was some really piss rotten shite the WWE was throwing out. Does anybody remember that horrible Raw where Triple H put Punk on commentary in a blazer and told him to make pipebombs or some shite like that. The episode also had some other utterly dreadful shite which could have happened over a course of a few weeks but happened on one episode. I remember listening to Meltz ripping the shit out of it on a podcast.

Didn't all that come from a good angle where Awesome Truth kept running riot and nobody had faith in HHH so they all walked out (Cameramen put the cameras down to close RAW).

The next week only Sheamus,Cena & Punk were up for doing Raw.

Yeah, that was bollocks. Suddenly Triple H and Punk were bezzie mates and Punk looked a goon playing time keeper. Was it Triple H vs. Punk that was announced in a backstage segment as the last segment of Raw? Saying that, I also remember at the time that Punk got ripped to shreds too despite the awful booking post-Summerslam. I'm not saying he was faultless - he weren't - but I think there was too much slating of him considering the circumstance, especially when Nash was being defended so much in comparison despite also being victim of bad booking and being a bad promo. And that's not just in hindsight either.

Didn't all that come from a good angle where Awesome Truth kept running riot and nobody had faith in HHH so they all walked out (Cameramen put the cameras down to close RAW).

The next week only Sheamus,Cena & Punk were up for doing Raw.

I dunno, I don't remember that being a particularly good angle anyway. It was kind of interesting just to see everyone walk out, but it was half-arsed. I get they were trying to put across the fact that there was no faith in Triple H, but it was all pretty inconsequential in the end anyway.

There were some good bits with Awesome Truth though. The Hell In A Cell end and Triple H brawling with them was great.

• Paid Members

Then they were put up against Rock & Cena for Survivors, and spent the build up to that PPV being made to look as effective as the Beverly Brothers.

Near enough everything in that whole stretch was half-arsed and messy. Punk was really shit, Nash was really shit, and the storyline didn't make up for their shitness. The booking of Awesome Truth was a shambles. They were unrealisticalky treated like the most dangerous invaders ever at one point, and then completely fucked over in the Survivor Series build-up. Cena vs Del Rio was a bore of a feud from the off. Air Boom were good though (WWE had the building blocks of a great tag division with them, Awesome Truth and Ziggler/Swagger but it all got wrecked by suspensions and existing plans), and the rise of Zack Ryder around that time was fun.

Archived