Bret hart

Jimmy Boy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You have made a connection where one wasn't intended.

Unfortunately for a generation of fans, they'll remember the Bret that wrestled in the matches where he couldn't legally take anything

If they are smart enough to know he 'legally' couldn't take anything, I'm sure they're smart enough to type his name into YouTube...

He's just saying that the fans will only remember those matches. He's not saying they'll know that Bret couldn't take any abuse or why. WE know, they might not. They'll have just seen them and think "this guy was meant to be good in his day? This is shit."

I sent PS an email the other day for their Q&A section asking the same question and if they rated him in their top 10 of all time and fin Martin replied that in a remarkable coincidence they are running a story on the top 10 us workers/all rounders of all time in their next issue! Can't wait to see who is in this! Gotta be michaels/hart/flair/steamboat - not sure who else would be in their though

Steve Austin and Great Muta would be in there I'd imagine as both ticked so many boxes. Although if it is only America, they may likely not deem Muta's fantastic NWA stuff enough as it was relatively short. Ted Dibiase from Mid South / Houston up until his retirement was brilliant in the ring, on the mic and generally very versatile. Randy Savage, Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk should also be included.

• Moderators
I sent PS an email the other day for their Q&A section asking the same question and if they rated him in their top 10 of all time and fin Martin replied that in a remarkable coincidence they are running a story on the top 10 us workers/all rounders of all time in their next issue! Can't wait to see who is in this! Gotta be michaels/hart/flair/steamboat - not sure who else would be in their though

If Lawler's not in there it's total fucking bullshit. I half expect him to slip Davey Richards in there.

If Lawler's not in there it's total fucking bullshit. I half expect him to slip Davey Richards in there.

Yeah, and find a way to put in an indy darling that will wrestle in Morecambe soon.

• Paid Members

For best "worker/all-rounder" I'm going to have a punt that their ten would be something along the lines of :

Bret, Shawn, Savage, Angle, Bruno, Flair, Dusty, Austin, Funk and Race.

I don't expect them to name anyone that never headlined for either the McMahons or JCP/WCW. Rightly or wrongly.

Cena.

Watched Bret vs Jean Pierre Lafitte last night for the first time in at least a decade. Cracking little match, stands up really well today.

What one?, there's three of them and they're all great. They're probably all up on Pierre's youtube channel, the RAW and IYH ones definitely are.

Are there people out there who seriously rate Kurt Angle that highly?

Kurt's peak was in that period where 'pure' or 'technical' wrestling seemed to mean doing as many finishers as possible, and nobody squeezes more finishers into a match than Kurt Angle. So I suppose in that period its easy to see why he was considered the best around.

Actually to be fair and less flippant, Kurt was (possibly still is, no idea) pretty good at certain things. His character work tended to be pretty good, he was a great athlete and so on and so forth. He had some great matches too before he over exposed himself. I'm not saying I'd rate Kurt that highly, because I wouldn't, but I can see why people rate him higher than I would. The problem against Kurt in these kind of discussions, I would have thought, is whether his back catalogue would stand up after realising just how much his matches could resemble finisher fests and not particularly believing many of the near falls.

Archived