TUF Brazil 2/UFC on FUEL 10: 'Nogueira vs Werdum 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We haven't talked much about the rest of the card but I really think this could turn out to be a pretty sweet show. Feijao-Thiago should be a wild fight, Silva-High has barnburner potential and I've got a feeling Rony Jason vs Mike Wilkinson could steal the show, that's the sleeper on the card for me.Going with Werdum, Feijao, Silva and Jason in those fights.

• Paid Members

ended up staying up live for it.

Lively show, submissions galore. It broke the record for the most submissions in a single evening, pretty apt. for Brazil.

* Werdum submitted Nog :( it shaping up to be a bit of a classic heavyweight fight. We rarely get to see two heavyweights engage in a back and forth complete MMA fight, but this one looked like was gonna have it all. Nog for my money looked the better of the two, he was aggressive, and pushed the pace and had Werdum looking a little uncomfortable at times. I scored the opener for Werdum based on the ground exchange but i thought came off the better man going into round 2 if that makes sense. Werdum getting that top position made all the difference, he was able to initialise the attacks and caught Nog with a nasty arm bar, Nog verbally tapped, hopefully he's ok.

I don't think Werdum has anything for Cain Velasquez.

* Little confused about the praise being heaped on Thiago Silva. He looked a little soft and just plodded whilst getting into punching exchanges, people are proclaiming it his greatest performance? hmmm. I thought Feijao was winning until he just seemed to lose all interest and went on the back foot, the finish was brutal. Silva bagged himself two bonuses.

779579332.gif

* The TUF finale was good, the highlight being the post fight stuff with Jose Aldo, nice lil story going on there. Santos plans to goto 155, Brazil are gonna love the guy.

* Any fears i had of Erick Silva taking on another wrestler were quickly extinguished, he waxed Jason High in a minute. Please Joe Silva match him with a striker next, i wanna see what the guy has. Silva strikes me as the new Roger Huerta, young, good looking kid that looks like he'll love a war, i wanna see him in one!

At this point of the night i was actually getting fed up of the quick finishes :D

* Sarafian and Jason make quick works of their opponents, both guy are gonna be Brazilian regulars, i love how the Brazilians gets behind their own guys when they fight to finish.

* Highlights of the prelims were Raphael Assuancao proving that he needs to be matched with a top 5 guy, seems to be stuck in a position where he's a gatekeeper for top 5, he keeps fighting guys ranked below him...he beat Vaughan Lee with ease.

* Felipe Arantas displaying one of the most brutal in guard displays of elbows we've seen in a while, Popey got creamed. Keep an eye on Arantas.

* Magahlaes/Vemola was very good, Vemola's such a violent, physical fighter. It worked against him here cause he tired himself out but he's just full pelt from the beginning, always looking to do damage. It's his biggest attribute and his biggest flaw all at the same time...

* Only caught the end of Hirota/Damm but that looked like it was a cracker, Damm's suplex in round 3 was a thing of beaty.

• Paid Members

We ended up going out last night so only just got chance to watch this.

Nog vs Werdum

Sad to see Nog get submitted again. The annoying part was, like the second Mir fight, he was doing quite well until he went for that fucking guillotine again. Werdum got off to a strong start but after that Nog started to take over and Werdum looked tired. Nog looked the fresher of the two getting off the stools for round two. He went for that guillotine and it allowed Werdum to wind up on top, which led to the finish.

That's not an excuse, Werdum has the kind of BJJ to submit anyone in MMA, including Nog. He might well have caught him anyway. But it's a shame. If Nog had kept doing what he was doing, I think Werdum would have gassed first and Nog would have had a much better shot.

Oh well. Werdum surely gets the next title shot now after Cain vs JDS 3. Submitting Nog is big and he was already ahead of most of the heavyweight division in the title race in my opinion.

TUF Finals was a pretty good fight. Nice comeback from Santos after a rough start.

Thiago Silva vs Feijao was great fun. One round of mayhem. Feijao was doing what he wanted early on but he just gassed suddenly and Silva was fucking ruthless. What was the beef with these two anyway? Whatever it was it was definitely legit, Silva even flipped Feijao off after the KO.

Erick Silva vs Jason High. Fuck, that was exactly what Silva needed after the loss to Fitch. A lot of people were asking how he would rebound after that fight, he did it in style. High is a good fighter as well, Silva made him look like a bum. For the way he fought Fitch and the way he's breezing through everyone else, I think it's clear Erick Silva belongs amongst the top level at 170. I'd like to see him get a big name next.

Sarafian vs Mendez was a mugging. This was more like the Sarafian I remember on TUF Brazil. He's a little fucking tank for 185.

Jason vs Wilkinson surprised me. I pictured that being a back and forth three round battle. Jason looked phenomenal. Wilkinson was unbeaten as well.

Good bunch of finishes on the undercard as well. Eight submissions all in all, which is a new record for most submissions on a UFC event. It also tied the most finishes on a card record with 10.

• Paid Members

86m3YoY.gif

:crazy: Some of the nastiest elbows I've seen. Absolutely brutal.

Show was a cracker from top to bottom. I didn't bother getting the prelims, and I'm glad I made that decision because they must have shown nearly all of them throughout the main broadcast. Am I right in thinking it was a complete Brazilian whitewash throughout the card?

• Paid Members

Yeh it was annoying watching live, i watched all the prelims on facebook then had to watch em again on the main show...still nice finishes.Who would have been your pick for sub of the night?

• Paid Members

Personally I agreed with Erick Silva getting SOTN. He'd have been my pick but there were a bunch of worthy candidates. Werdum was my other choice, more because of who he submitted than the submission itself.

Glad I didn't watch the Prelims last night, as I managed to catch them all anyway on the Main Card.Thiago Silva won me a nice profit last night, so this may be a little biased, but he definitely deserves a shot at the 205 belt :-p

My ThoughtsThe crowd if Brazil offers the best atmosphere, and the Brazilian fighters seem to offer the most exciting fights where finishes or more common. I suspect that is due to the more aggressive fighting styles Brazilian fighters focus on.Anyway, Werdum whilst decent failed to show me anything that would trouble Cain. Nog did quite well in the striking exchanges and smartly figured Werdum does not like being on the back foot. Nog also looked to be in better shape, if Nog could have dragged it out, he could have scored a upset.Cain could dictate the fight with Werdum, by making sure it would not go to the ground as a better wrestler. Cain could bully Werdum against the cage in a clinch or press forward with striking, again the clinch game would not allow Werdum to score takedowns like he did with Nog as Cain is a more skilled wrestler than Werdum. Cain's relentless pace would also be too much for Werdum I think, unless a scramble went Werdum's way, Cain should be able to win handily. I think JDS could as well as long as if he kept Werdum at a distance with strikes and deployed his stellar takedown defense.Fejiao/Silva I got wrong as I expected Feijao to win, but it really could have gone either as both are serious gunslingers who are prone to being tagged. Exciting they are, but neither will have a long shelf life in the UFC fighting that way. E Silva was impressive and showed the Fitch loss has not effected his confidence. Rony Jason could be a serious star in Brazil.Decent show, that was well worth watching.

Archived