Crush should have beat Flair for the belt instead of Bret

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a big crush mark back then

Ill never forget an epi where he was against Luger (at the peak of that Narcissist gimmick) and basically got to sling Luger about (never saw luger press slammed before or since) and make Luger look like a jobber (luger won by count out after Doink interfered).

Think Wwf missed the boat there. An ic run would have made sense!

• Paid Members
Crush was the shits and couldnt draw a dime if you gave him a pencil, some paper and a year long art course with Tony Hart

He was a short-term face midcarder who had a feud with a clown. He was never in a position to draw. The argument here is that if he had the opportunity, he may well have drawn. I think he would've, he was popular with the fans during his brief face run in his card placing.

• Paid Members

I really liked all of Crush's looks, even jailbird Crush. He looked the business whatever clobber he had on I reckon.

Hawaiian Crush could have been great in that position if given the chance. Of course we'll never know, but the fact he was so popular despite not being around that long or having many big feuds shows he had something. People liked him, he had a great look, a cool finisher, cracking music which was instantly recognisable and the few times he faced off with established names like Yoko, Luger or Michaels people were behind him.

Was Crush ever in the running to dethrone Flair in late '92? I read that there was meant to be a list of 5 or 6 names before Vince settled on Bret. Was it ever said who the others were? I guess Savage would be one. Crush might have been considered.

• Paid Members

Tito Santana's one of the "if it wasn't Hogan, it would have been me or Valentine and the world have all been dandy" types, though. Tito seems to have been considered for every major occurrence in the history of the business if you ask him.

They'd just signed Bret up to a contract a few months previous so he wasn't going anywhere and he wasn't on steroids at the time, so he was the only one to really fit the bill until Yoko turned up. Putting the belt on big lads like Davey Boy or Crush would have had questions being asked. You hear all sorts of stuff around that time period, like Matt Bourne saying Hogan refused to do a program with him at WrestleMania IX. Like Hogan was coming back to wrestle a clown with fucked up teeth.

A lot of stuff went on with Crush to keep him from his destiny. He was taken out of the Royal Rumble with some bullshit clown related injury so he wouldn't take the plunge over the top rope. Doink was just a major pain in the arse, otherwise Crush would have surely won the Rumble.

• Moderators

That's an interesting one. If not Hogan, who? I'd say probably Kerry Von Erich. Vince McMahon was already licking his arse on All American about 6 years before he even got to New York, doing features on him and his brothers on TV.

• Paid Members

Hogan was just perfect for the vision they had looking back. He had the Rocky film going on, he had the big steroid body, he was super charismatic on talk shows and news pieces. Hogan was so 1980s. Venice Beach, mates with Mr T, on the juice the lot. He was a mix between an action hero and a cartoon character. Its strange to think how he pretty much says mental stuff that gets him in trouble these days, because in the days when they'd bombard him with questions about the business being fake and stuff, he seemed to know every trick how to talk his way out of stuff. I suppose getting old and attention seeking has caused him to go a bit crackers. In the 80s, though, he was the perfect pro wrestler.

If not Hogan though, I can only think of Kerry Von Erich getting put in that place. Or Dusty.

• Moderators

I was thinking Dusty, but Dusty would want too much power I think. Even though he did well when he went up north as an attraction. Michael Hayes seems like Vince's kind of wrestler, fuck he gave him Dave Wolfe was a manager and everything when they got the Freebirds in for a failed fortnight, but it probably wouldn't work. Tommy Rich was burned out and too southern. Tony Atlas talked like his mouth was full of ballbags. JYD was probably starting to wind down as a draw...

So, a world where Hulk Hogan doesn't exist, who does he get? Maybe Duggan as a rank outsider? Make Sarge the #1 face as he was drawing well as the #2? But he was never going to give up that GI Joe deal. It's a thinker.

Archived