Crush should have beat Flair for the belt instead of Bret

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fucking hell, that's how you return.

To be honest, on topic, it's not a bad idea. Crush was rotten, but so was Warrior. He was getting over when he turned Kona face, in spite of wearing the brightest colours known to man. He was big, looked good, fit in with the era- probably had a better shout than anyone else coming through in succeeding. Except perhaps for Bret, mind, but Bret's run could've been kept at bay until Wrestlemania 10, especially considering his first run (at first, at least) came with little fanfare. I was proper shocked when I founded out he'd won the belt at the time.

• Paid Members

He always looked a bit of lost and where Bret and HBK had successfully pulled away from their tag teams, Crush never really seemed to. Not sure if I'm right but just as he did get momentum didn't they put him up against Doink? If anyone deserved to be champ it was Mr Perfect, as a kid it made no sense to me for him to have that gimmick, look like a proper wrestler and not be champ.

Actually, back in 1992 I thought Crush was heading straight to the top. He was getting put over big on TV, had 'the look' of a top star with the bright colours and everything and seemed to be working his way through the roster with wins over the Repo Man/Bezerker type guys then it just ended when he got put in that Doink feud.

That feud itself had some pretty cool moments but more about establishing The Doinkster (TM Monsoon) than getting Crush to the next level.

As a worker Crush was limited but I actually think him vs Flair could have been fun. This thread has made me want to see a match between them. Quite liked Crush vs Michaels and Crush vs Yoko at the time they happened so I imagine PPV main events with those two would have been at least watchable.

He wasn't a very good promo but there was something likeable about him as well and he looked more like your typical WWF main eventer of the time than Bret who was really a big departure from the Hogan/Warrior big charismatic guys who wear bright colours and shout mold.

I'm not going to say the only reason Bret got the Big One is because of the steroid scandals. We've all read that argument before and I think that's a little harsh

I absolutely would have went for this, I used to mark out for Crush something awful, I'm only pseudo-ashamed to say I even made a Crush sign when I went to the UK tour in the lead up to WM9. He already had me on merit of the fact he was in Demolition, but he just looked great, with the bright colours of a good guy but big enough to be convincingly hard, had a unique (if a bit silly) finisher and bad ass entrance music. I'm positive his Hasbro had a title reign in my house, and I was always annoyed he never even got a stint with the IC belt in real life.

• Paid Members
Crush should have beat Yokozuna for the belt instead of Bret

Crush should have got the big Yokozuna slamming Lex Luger push.

Fixed.

Archived