DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I found his mannerisms towards the end to be very Bill Murray-esque. Especially after

the wee lad opened him up with the knife in his chest.

Nothing to do with getting people to watch it, sir.

John Wick – Comparisons to The Equaliser and Man on Fire are way wide of the mark, once the first fifteen minutes are out of the way. It’s got more of a Raid/Crank/Transporter/Hard Boiled vibe to it. Very thin plot, wooden acting but my word, it’s fucking action packed.

I thought Olympus Has Fallen had a ludicrous amount of headshots, but this went straight Battlefield.

Well worth a watch, especially for action junkies who don’t want their bustle spoiled by plot. Not a shred of udder though.

I love Keanu. I really do. Bill & Ted, Point Break, Speed, Divvils Advocate, Matrix, Constantine, and now John Wick. The man is an understated action icon.

Also, a nice "cameo" from

Big Kev

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I watched John Wick last night, have to agree with Mr Malbranque's comments. There was definitely a vibe of The Punisher (2004) for me too, which only served to make me want a well made Punisher film. Well worth a watch for action fans. I also marked out for that cameo.

ahem...

MV5BNDcyNDY5MDE5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzIy

• Paid Members

A film and a TV film for me this weekend.

Finally Got to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. I have only started to watch Wes Andersons output (always thought it looked like pretentious arty fluff, maybe it is) and really enjoyed this. As much as I liked The Royal Tennanbaums and Moonrise Kingdom, I think this was probably my favourite of his I have seen thus far. Great performance from Voldermort and just had me smiling throughout.  

Last night we watched Esio Trot. Really good perfomances from Hoffman and Dench and just a lovely Sunday Night easy watch. Bit cheesy but enjoyable none the less.

I've watched the same two this week. I really liked GBH by the end but I spent the first half an hour or so wondering where on earth it was going. I'm still not really sure what the point was! It was a great looking film and the leading performances are excellent. I thought Willem Dafoe was great too. The scene where he creeps away in his socks through the snow is hilarious after the previous horrific scene.

I liked Esio Trot in parts but it was a hell of a long time to fill for a fairly unremarkable story. If it'd been half an hour shorter, it would have been cracking.

And I went to see Foxcatcher in the cinema.  Great film, but fucking heavy.  As good as the performances were, and as good as the direction was, its pace was SO slow that it really dragged in places, and they could have cut 20m from it without spoiling the effect at all.  Very powerful and I absolutely wouldn't watch it again.

It really does drag, doesn't it? This definitely could've been around 100-110 minutes long. That's all it needed.

Luckily, I'd avoided reading about any of the real-life happenings so it really shocked me.

I watched John Wick last night. It has got to be Keanu Reeves best performance no? He really suited the role and didn't look wooden or out of place once.

A decent action film, nicely violent with some pretty cool scenes. I enjoyed it.

I am going to pimp What We Do In The Shadows again. Everyone must watch this. A very off the wall, mockumentary film with very similar humour to Borat. It's not often I enjoy a comedy film so much. Especially one I have watched three times in a week.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I wouldn't compare What We Do To The Shadows to Borat at all, but I also really liked it. If you like Flight Of The Conchords you'll love it. Very silly, harmless and clever.

John Wick was good fun too. Good action scenes and Reeves is alot better as a leading action star than blokes like Statham. He's convincing enough as an ass kicker but also sympathetic enough that he can get his arse kicked. Shame this is most likely a one off, I'd love a series of John Wick films. It's refreshing to have action scenes where the camera stays still and doesn't fucking shake around constantly.

You actually got through it?

I'llsee your Not Another Teen Movie and raise you Movie 43

Movie 43 is the closest I've ever come to walking out of the cinema. Appalling film.
My wife went to see it with her sister and they did walk out. I was challenged to last as long as I could when it was on SKY, and lasted about 20mins tops.

Went and saw American Sniper today. Bradley Cooper was OK, people said he'd "buffed up" for the role, but he actually seemed a bit fatter rather than ripped.

Eastwood's direction is really good and the ending is very powerful. The cinema was packed and seemed quite taken aback, I don't know how many of them actually realised it's based on a real person

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I wouldn't compare What We Do To The Shadows to Borat at all, but I also really liked it. If you like Flight Of The Conchords you'll love it. Very silly, harmless and clever.

Very silly and filmed in a mockumentary style, but you wouldn't compare it to Borat?

I wouldn't compare it to Borat at all. Was it the accents?