DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I did have that on one video player. I tried it out, I think, but I didn't really trust it. It was never something I used regularly anyway.. Also, it was such a pain in the arse to enter the code in the video player anyway.
Regarding VIDEOPLUS.We had one. Codes were like 20 digits long. It was an awful system. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, even if you put the right number in. Sensor was Poundland quality. Broke easily.
I made a lot of pocket money as a kid deciphering all of these recording code systems for old people.

• Paid Members

Sabotage - I'll apologise to the Colonel here, but it's really fucking dreadful. With such a great cast and potentially wonderful storyline, it turned out to be a strangely edited, convoluted clusterfuck. Enos is ludicrously miscast to the point that I found her overacting laughable, and the subplot and resolution involving Arnies family was just plain lazy.Harold Perrineau popped up again to further dampen my spirits. Him and his bastard cheekbones and teeth!Joe Manganiello's arms are a thing of beauty though...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
Sabotage - I'll apologise to the Colonel here, but it's really fucking dreadful. With such a great cast and potentially wonderful storyline, it turned out to be a strangely edited, convoluted clusterfuck. Enos is ludicrously miscast to the point that I found her overacting laughable, and the subplot and resolution involving Arnies family was just plain lazy.Harold Perrineau popped up again to further dampen my spirits. Him and his bastard cheekbones and teeth!Joe Manganiello's arms are a thing of beauty though...
I couldn't get into it. The main group are a bunch of cunts... How am I supposed to invest in them?

• Paid Members
Sabotage - I'll apologise to the Colonel here, but it's really fucking dreadful.
No need to apologise fella, i suspected as much. Despite my best intentions, it coming out when my lad was just a couple of weeks old made it a pretty hard sell, so i havent actually seen it yet.There's a pirate disc in the blu ray player waiting to be watched, but from what i've heard, there's no need to hurry. I'm inclined to dislike a lot of the same mud i've seen slung at it, so i doubt even my blind love of the big man is going to sell me on it, i'll still love all his scenes though.

Last night I watched Drew Struzan: The Man Behind The Poster. Even as a major film buff I had no idea just quite how many posters he'd designed over the years, or that his first big break came from creating album covers for the likes of Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath. Struzan himself seems like a man who was too nice for Hollywood, that's touched on at one point when he talks about a business partnership he ventured into with a father and son team who took full advantage of his naivety. The talking heads are mostly great, the passion that guys like Spielberg and Darabont have for his work makes it an enjoyable watch because I feel the same way about his art. I particularly enjoyed Guillermo del Toro's stories of getting Struzan to paint posters for a few of his films knowing fine well the studios wouldn't use them, he just had to have them for himself.

The doc ran maybe a bit too long considering the subject matter, it felt like a lot of the same ground was being covered over and over, I even noticed the repeated use of a couple of Harrison Ford's talking heads, probably because he was so high he couldn't think of anything more to say. And I'll always feel a little uncomfortable seeing Michael J Fox in situations like this, obviously it's great for him that he still wants to do things like this but I didn't know where to look when he was on screen. In all though, a highly recommended watch if you're a fan of Struzan's artwork, which I imagine most of you posting in this thread will be.

Seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes today (hopefully, was meant to go on Thursday but it was sold out, then plans for yesterday got cancelled so third time better be the charm), been hearing nothing but great things about it and I loved Rise so I'm looking very forward to it.

Predator 2 was on last night.  Not sure why this is looked down on - I think it's a damn good sequel (though the transmission had cut out the goriest bits!).

It's certainly better than Predators, which was silly, badly miscast and generally a bad idea.  Why not do a Predator 3 with Arnie?  And Glover, get them both in.

Predator 2 was on last night.  Not sure why this is looked down on - I think it's a damn good sequel (though the transmission had cut out the goriest bits!).

It's certainly better than Predators, which was silly, badly miscast and generally a bad idea.  Why not do a Predator 3 with Arnie?  And Glover, get them both in.

Had this exact same discussion on Facebook last night. It's a great film in it's own right but as doesn't star Arnie it get's shit on because it's got Danny Glover in it instead. The urban setting, a wily gritty street cop, all out drug wars and a OTT turn by Gary Busey actually make it fab!

It will always get compared to the the obviously superior original, but Predator 2 is still a good film. I found the ending to be corny when I was younger, but it's grown on me more over the years. I like Danny Glover in the lead and the supporting cast features a group of actors who appear in a lot of my all-time favourite action movies. There's plenty of violence and gore, unnecessary showing of titties, voodoo magic (mon) and Morton Downey Jr involved, so what's not to like? 

• Paid Members

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is frigging amazing! I just loved every minute of the 2 plus hours. Such good effects, such a good story and just such a great film.

• Paid Members

It's a good film and has some good ideas in it (and I'm totally gay for Busey in almost everything), but it pulls the rug from under itself with the introduction of the Predator having a weird sideways mouth that he didn't have before, and the "shit happens" scene that feels like it was chucked into the script after a drinking session.

For me, the lack of Arnie works in its favour. I dislike the Die Hard syndrome, where these freak occurrences just happen to the same person time after time.

Bringing in Arnie for Predator 3, in an "expert in his field" role is fine though, as P2 confirms that Government/Military bodies know about the existence of the Predators following the first film.

I imagine Dutch has spent the rest of his life pursuing signs of Predators across the globe, preparing himself for another confrontation ... only to find himself the subject of one last Predator visit...

It's a film that writes itself.

Enemies Closer

Watched Van Damme's latest today, directed by Peter Hyams (Timecop) and I really, really enjoyedit. Missus did too and its not usually her type but its only on for 80 odd minutes and moves at a nice pace so never gets boring. JCVD is great hamming it up as a baddie, he tries to be Ledger's Joker but comes across as Travolta's baddie in The Punisher at times but he's great all the same. The fight scenes are good to very good (JCVD has still got it).

Van Dammes best film since JCVD. Having Hyams directing helps. It'll no doubt be in Tesco/Asda for £3-4 in a month or too so snap it up.

I watched Tremors on Blu Ray last night as I couldn't sleep in this ridiculous heat. I hadn't watched it for years but it's still as great as ever. I'd forgotten how annoying that lad with the basketball is though. I was begging for him to be brutally murdered by the end. Kevin Bacon is as great as ever in it too, just a really fun film. I've never seen the other ones, I've had a quick glance on Wiki at them though and it seems I've made the right decision in avoiding them.

• Moderators

I watched Tremors on Blu Ray last night as I couldn't sleep in this ridiculous heat. I hadn't watched it for years but it's still as great as ever. I'd forgotten how annoying that lad with the basketball is though. I was begging for him to be brutally murdered by the end. Kevin Bacon is as great as ever in it too, just a really fun film. I've never seen the other ones, I've had a quick glance on Wiki at them though and it seems I've made the right decision in avoiding them.

There was a TV series too. Dean Norris from Breaking Bad was in it.

tremors-television-series-on-dvd-free-sh