DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

He's a very good actor, he just seems to choose/get rubbish films. Fury Road is a moot point because that was a director's film rather than an actor's. 

It's not a moot point at all. The acting clearly played a huge part in Fury Road, especially from Theron and Nicholas Hoult.

Really? I saw it at the cinema and I remember it was very loud and very exciting, and I liked the guy playing metal guitar, and the big baddie in control of the war boys, but I can't remember anything about Theron's character, although I only saw it that one time. It wasn't a film I admired for the acting, but if you did then cool. 

• Paid Members

Tom Hardy is an odd one. I think he can be a great actor, in certain films. He's excellent in Locke and Dunkirk. But at times I find him completely off-putting. His performance alone stopped me watching Peaky Blinders. Everytime he appeared he took me completely out of the scene. And I didn't like his performance in the few episodes of Taboo I watched either.

Either way, I do find him to be one of the most overracted actors of this generation.

• Moderators

Hardy's nothing special. I started a post to that effect this morning before Devon's hot take but got distracted before I could finish it, and I agree with his sentiment totally. He's been alright in some things but I really don't get the hype. That interview that's been doing the rounds where he trashed Venom whilst doing promo for it really revealed how far his perception of himself as an artist is from the reality of the work that he does. He needs to get off his high horse.

Have you seen Bronson? Nothing special indeed.. come on now. I haven't seen Venom and I have no intention of doing so, but it sounds from what he's said that it could have been a much better film. From the reviews I've read, and given the fact that every reviewer that I trust remarks upon the fact that the editing is horrible, he has every right to "trash" the film. Or, should actors always sell the films they're in, lest they be accused of being on a high horse?

Edited by Brewster McCloud
missing "n"

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Have you seen Bronson? Nothing special indeed.. come on now. I haven't seen Venom and I have no intention of doing so, but it sounds from what he's said that it could have been a much better film. From the reviews I've read, and given the fact that every reviewer that I trust remarks upon the fact that the editing is horrible, he has every right to "trash" the film. Or, should actors always sell the films they're in, lest they be accused of being on a high horse?

He's been paid a fair few million dollars to make that film, he owes the studio and director the courtesy of publicising it properly and then citing issues with it after it's finished its commercial run.

Also, since when is people having a different opinion from you a 'silly conversation'?

Edited by Devon Malcolm