DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Bloody nora does Battle: Los Angeles, ever end? I like disaster movies, because hey, the end of the world is shits and giggles. However this film seems to go on and on and Ariston, with no frickin stop gap. It was like we have two movies, let's splice them together and make the world's most boring disaster movie. It's not rubbish, it's just there :/

• Paid Members

Did I make a mistake watching the 2003 director's cut instead of the 1979 theatrical version?

Probably not, considering your thoughts on it. Even though it's got some scenes reinserted, it has a shorter running time as it's been re-edited a bit snappier for modern audience tastes.

If you ever get the chance, go to a proper cinema showing of it.

• Paid Members

I watched all 4 Alien films over the last week and a bit, finished with Resurrection last night. It really is a drizzly piece of shit that fails on every level ( except Ron Pearlman obviously) I actually watched the original cut of Aliens for the first time in ages, it's still brilliant but the Directors cut is a thing of beauty. I also watched the original cut of Alien3. It's still a mess but there's some great ideas in there, would love to see a Fincher re-cut.

Anyway tonight I'm watching Tombstone. Kurt Russell, Bill Paxton, Sam Elliott, Michael Biehn, Charlton Heston. A cast so manly Branquey's balls are probably twitching just thinking about it. Kilmer's dapper Doc Holliday should have got him an oscar.

I bloody love a good western.

• Paid Members

Did I make a mistake watching the 2003 director's cut instead of the 1979 theatrical version?

Probably not, considering your thoughts on it. Even though it's got some scenes reinserted, it has a shorter running time as it's been re-edited a bit snappier for modern audience tastes.

If you ever get the chance, go to a proper cinema showing of it.

There's an Alien & Aliens double bill at one of the local cinemas on halloween. I'm tempted. I may actually prefer the 1979 original if it's longer.

• Paid Members

We're talking a few minutes of difference, and it's down to seconds being shaved off here and their to speed up the flow a bit.

Alien and Aliens double bill. In a cinema. Proper big screen. No casual tapping away on your laptop or snapchatting whilst you watch it. Get in there.

Which cinema is this, by the way?

• Paid Members

We're talking a few minutes of difference, and it's down to seconds being shaved off here and their to speed up the flow a bit.

Alien and Aliens double bill. In a cinema. Proper big screen. No casual tapping away on your laptop or snapchatting whilst you watch it. Get in there.

Which cinema is this, by the way?

Vue cinema. Both director's cuts.

There's no real difference - the extra scenes in the later cut aren't worth the bother, and seeing as how badly Ridley Scott's directing has become in recent years I'd trust his first cut more.

The two cuts of Aliens are much more distinct.  And I'm still holding out hope that someone will find a workprint of the original cut of Alien 3 and finish it.

• Paid Members

"So run you cur! RUN! You tell all the other curs the law's comin'!! YOU TELL 'EM I'M COMIN'! AND HECKS COMIN' WITH ME, YA HEAR??!? HECKS COMING WITH MAAAYYYYYY!" Dindindin dinkdadaDINKDINK Dindin...etc.

"I know...let's have a spelling contest!" is one of my favourite quotes from any movie, ever.

Well, how did you find Tombstone, Chokey? Fucking tremendous, on every level, isn't it?