DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Amazing Spider-Man 2

It is 140-minutes of entertainment, emotion, humour and action. I can see a lot of people not liking it, but I really enjoyed it and would probably rank it as second only to Spider-Man 2 in the five Spider-Man films that have been made.

Garfield and Stone are great in the two lead roles again and they have good chemistry much like they had in the first film. Foxx is good as Electro, DeHaan plays a very different Harry than Franco played in the original series of films (he is still very good though), and the rest of the cast put in the required solid performances as well.

There is a good set-up for the future films as well (both the Spider-Man films and the spin-offs).

There is a quite strange mid-credits bit

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

which is a teaser for the new X-Men film.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by DJM

• Paid Members
Amazing Spider-Man 2

It is 140-minutes of entertainment, emotion, humour and action. I can see a lot of people not liking it, but I really enjoyed it and would probably rank it as second only to Spider-Man 2 in the five Spider-Man films that have been made.

Garfield and Stone are great in the two lead roles again and they have good chemistry much like they had in the first film. Foxx is good as Electro, DeHaan plays a very different Harry than Franco played in the original series of films (he is still very good though), and the rest of the cast put in the required solid performances as well.

There is a good set-up for the future films as well (both the Spider-Man films and the spin-offs).

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Just got back from watching it. It's a mess, but an enjoyable one. It suffers from trying to cram too much into a film. Like the first film the back story stuff really isn't needed.

ironically the concern most people had that it would fall into the Spider-man 3 trap and suffer from having too many villains is actually one of the things it's done quite well, basically giving the film to Electro ( whom is hit and miss but the two big set pieces with him are stunning and really well done). And setting up Green Goblin and Rhino for future films, along with hinting at the Sinister Six. The pacing was terrible, especially in the middle. Even though there was so much to cram in there managed to be a point where nothing seemed to be happening and they were just rehashing the Gwen/ Peter stuff from the first film, although with the ending they used I can see why it was included. The set up for Black Cat and the Spider Slayers is there as well, although I'm very sceptical about Sony basically trying to spin off a number of franchises from the Spider-Man universe

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators
Amazing Spider-Man 2

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

That doesn't mean

there's a crossover coming or anything. The director had a deal to direct something for Fox, so they traded with Sony to promote one of their movies after letting him do Spidey there instead

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Yeah, it's not as completely clear cut as either side want it to seem - but it makes for fascinating reading on both sides when you start following it. I think it was just a couple of days ago that SeaWorld posted a 'response' of 70-odd things they claim Blackfish is wrong about, and the film makers responded to that with a rebuttal from their point of view to show that SeaWorld's wrong about what they say Blackfish is wrong about. It's a story that I think will just keep rumbling on for ages.

As my other post will show, I'm definitely siding with Blackfish but at least I'm basing that on having done further research and reading after watching it - so at least I feel reasonably informed about it!

(Thanks for the links by the way)

Your welcome (cool name btw), and it certainly is an interesting doc, that's certain. Some interesting things were said on that podcast though. I think its about 20 minutes in that we start talking about it properly.

I'm trying to make my way through every Scottish film ever made. I'm on 25 so far. Finally got round to watching The Acid House, an Irvine Welsh adaptation. Released in 1998, it's odd in the fact that it's actually three short films at about 40 mins each. It's fair to say it's one of the strangest films I've seen in terms of storylines. It features a grown man reverting back to having the mental age of a baby, courtesy of some lightning and acid, and a man transformed in to a fly by God. The second story was my favourite, with Kevin McKidd's character playing a cuckolded husband. It's great, although I love McKidd so I may be being slightly biased. Not on par with Trainspotting, but what is?

• Paid Members
I'm trying to make my way through every Scottish film ever made. I'm on 25 so far.

How long do you think this project will last? Also, why are you doing it and how are you addressing lost films and films with mixed nationality and stuff like that?

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I'm trying to make my way through every Scottish film ever made. I'm on 25 so far.

How long do you think this project will last? Also, why are you doing it and how are you addressing lost films and films with mixed nationality and stuff like that?

I'm only doing a movie a week so I can see it lasting for a fair few years to be honest! I'm counting Braveheart as a Scottish film so that should show that I'm not exactly being strict with the policy of finance or anything like that. Braveheart is, of course, an American film but how could I not include arguably the most famous "Scottish" film ever? If a film is set in Scotland it's Scottish regardless of finance, according to my "rules". Brave is in, as is Greyfriars Lassie! It's a case by case basis . I originally started it to see if I could find a few films that weren't bleak, gritty and depressing. I'm not having much luck so far. And no, The Last King of Scotland doesn't count as a Scottish film, ho ho ho!

Edited by Ladiesman345

Do you have a list of what you've watched so far? on letterboxd or something

I really should create an account on Letterboxd. Alas, I haven't!

Trainspotting

Braveheart

16 years of Alcohol

New Town Killers

Greyfriars Lassie

Acid House

Just A Boys Game

Just Another Saturday

Elephant's Graveyard

Filth

Rob Roy

That Sinking Feeling

Whisky Galore

Neds

Sweet Sixteen

Small Faces

Gregory's Two Girls (But not Gregory's girl oddly enough!)

Brave

Angel's share

The Big Man

Ratcatcher

Dog Soldiers

Red Road

A Sense of Freedom - The Jimmy Boyle Story

My Name Is Joe

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Ladiesman345

• Paid Members

"Comfort & Joy" is an odd one about rival ice-cream businesses. Directed by Bill Forsyth. Click

"Strictly Sinatra" with Ian Hart. It's about a Glaswegian Frank Sinatra tribute act and features the amazing scene of him being chased along the Gallowgate at 2am.

"Local Hero"? "Restless Natives" is sitting beside me waiting to be watched. How can you forget Scottish football drama "A Shot at Glory"? It's a serious question. It's so shit it's burned into my brain.

• Paid Members

Why are you doing this project, out of interest?

There are several there that I've seen. I thought Red Road was a fantastic film especially. Enjoyed New Town Killers as well.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Why are you doing this project, out of interest?

There are several there that I've seen. I thought Red Road was a fantastic film especially. Enjoyed New Town Killers as well.

Red Road was great. Featuring the fantastic line "I'm wondering what your cunt tastes like" or something along those lines. There's not really a reason I'm doing it. Just popped into my head for some strange reason.