Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle is dead

PowerButchi

Sad news as I was a huge fan, particularly 1991/1992.

One of my highlights of Wrestlemania 27 Axxess was arriving fairly early on the Sunday and having looked around noticed that a superstar was about to appear, but they weren't named at the booth so only a handful of people were waiting. My mate and I decided to take a punt and join the queue, and were delighted when Paul Bearer walked out. Very pleasant man, and for the photographs he put on an awesome pose in line with the early 1990's character.

A definite for the Hall of Fame, presumably when Undertaker goes in. A pity he won't be there on the day.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I'm Paul Bearer...AND YOU'RE NOT!" after he turned heel on The Undertaker was fucking brilliant. Brilliant. I was never an Undertaker fan as a kid but that heel turn was still brilliant. They'd obviously made more of an impact on me with the characters than I thought.

RIP

As a 9 year old that shocked me to the core. Always liked the Bearer character, just harmless over the top fun which I think what wrestling should be a lot of the time.

RIP

Really sorry to hear this. Some of my earliest memories of wrestling are of Paul Bearer and Taker beating Hogan for the belt - I was gutted. Really good performer and a big part of the gimmick that is generally considered the greatest of all. His non WWE stuff is just amazing, he had a great career managing some of the top names in the biz, his website was filled with great pics, some of which I shared on here recently. He seemed to be a really nice guy on interviews and on twitter and always used the word "blessed" - we as wrestling fans were blessed to have had a great performer like him, entertain us for so many years.

A great career and a great legacy in that, there's generations of fans that truly will never forget him. RIP

Fucking sad news :(

Any interview I have ever seen of him, he just came across as greatful, appreciative and fulfilled. He came across as a great bloke who had such a rich history in wrestling. Although he reported that he felt Kevin Dunn didn't like him - I've never heard anybody say a bad word about the bloke. Proof positive, wrestlers from all over the place sharing little stories of the man today.

RIP

Sad news as I was a huge fan, particularly 1991/1992.

One of my highlights of Wrestlemania 27 Axxess was arriving fairly early on the Sunday and having looked around noticed that a superstar was about to appear, but they weren't named at the booth so only a handful of people were waiting. My mate and I decided to take a punt and join the queue, and were delighted when Paul Bearer walked out. Very pleasant man, and for the photographs he put on an awesome pose in line with the early 1990's character.

A definite for the Hall of Fame, presumably when Undertaker goes in. A pity he won't be there on the day.

I met him last year at axxess in the undertakers graveyard, by far the best thing there. Really nice down to earth person that I'll never forget meeting in full costume and gimmick, plus having him ask me how tall I was and if I've thought of getting into wrestling.

RIP

Very sad. I was surprised to see how young he was. Glad I got to meet him at Axxess in Atlanta in full gimmick, and also walked right beside him (along with Jimmy Hart and Gerald Brisco) in Miami when he was in normal clothes. One of the first matches I saw was Undertaker vs. Snuka from Mania 7, and Taker and Paul Bearer played a big part in getting me into wrestling.

• Paid Members

Unlike most on here Iv'e never really liked Taker but Bearer was always the most appealing thing about his act to me. He was really captivating in his role and as a kid he scared the absolute shit out of me. R.I.P

I always figured that Bearer, and maybe 3 or 4 of Takers streak opponents would be inducted into the HOF around the time of Taker's retirement,

A real gentleman who took time for the fans. He used to run his own fan forum back in the day and posted there quite a lot. Even congratulated me when I posted that I had graduated from Uni :)

Always took time to reply to fans eMails, and even retweeted me recently

Apart from the experiences we all shared of his great career, my personal favourite memory of Paul was meeting him in the Hotel on the weekend of Wrestlemania 27, myself and two buddies had a great conversation with him about the Funeral Parlour days and he remarked that we were old school fans to remember that stuff.

Archived