Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle is dead

PowerButchi

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Very sad news indeed. I loved Paul Bearer. He was a large part of why Undertaker became my favourite wrestler when I was little and is undoubtedly a major part of the Taker legend, from the early 90s through the Kane storyline in the late 90s - his arrival at WrestleMania XX was probably the highlight of the Undertaker-Kane match as well. Fantastic character work - a BRILLIANT name, as others have said - and his "ooooohhh yeeeeess" remains the only wrestling phrase I can imitate to a reasonable standard. I was always so pleased when he showed up again - his last mini-run was only a few years ago, wasn't it?

He always looked the part as well - this little round man next to an Undertaker or Kane shouldn't really fit or work, but he always did. Caressing the urn the way he did, with his fantastic grin.

Fascinating man too, his shoot interview is worth a watch.

Don't suppose a posthumous HOF induction is too out of the question? (perhaps around the time of Undertaker's retirement?)

RIP.

:( Shame. Like loads of others on here, I got into wrestling during the time when Bearer and Undertaker were one of the most eye-catching acts. The Funeral Parlor interviews fascinated me as a kid. He was great at his job and, by all accounts, a lovely man.

I was always so pleased when he showed up again - his last mini-run was only a few years ago, wasn't it?

Late 2010 when he was involved in the Kane/Undertaker and Kane/Edge storylines, yeah. Less than a year ago he had a one-night storyline during the Kane/Orton feud as well. I was kind of expecting him to have some kind of interaction with Heyman in the next few weeks.

Paul Bearer was brilliant. Really saddened to hear this news. While everyone goes on about Hogan's turn at Bash at the Beach, his turn on Undertaker that summer was just about as shocking, as a kid. This shows how much affection there was for this character and his double act with the Undertaker. I also loved some of his 1997-1999 heel stuff without the make-up. He was able to evolve this over the top character from the cartoon era into a pretty realistic adaptation for the 'Attitude' years. Not to mention his facial expressions, which were just tremendous. If you can find it, there's a brilliant one from No Mercy in Manchester, towards the end of the main event, when there's a big run-in/chase and the camera pans to him for a second.

RIP Paul Bearer, you legend.

• Paid Members

End of an era. He was always around or thereabouts, just for special appearances or short runs, but now he's gone permanently. Massive shame - must have been one of the most vivid characters in wrestling ever.

RIP.

Absolutely gutted. He's one of those guys I'd always be happy to see, no matter how shit the angle may be (Edge/Kane for example). I've always pictured Taker's retirement to involve Bearer coming down for a one-nighter to retire the Undertaker character and bring things full circle. It's a shame that we've seen the last of that pairing.

I'm in the middle of watching 1997 Raw and he's probably the highlight at the moment as he's a few weeks away from introducing Kane.

It didn't occur to me that he's not in the Hall of Fame, his name doesn't seem to come up a lot when it's discussed.

Very very sad news. He was always a favourite of mine. WWE must put him in the HoF.

I can see him going in this year as a nod.

Loved his work, to me he wasnt at the Hennan level but for longevity of character he is certainly worth a HoF place

RIP

Archived