That's the thing, isn't it? These spikes happen quite a bit, but the next week it always goes back down to that set rating. I don't know what it is, but people just won't watch Impact two weeks in a row. It's baffling.

And Sabin as champ? Fucking hell. Did anyone give him a chance beforehand? Did anyone even think he was realistically World champ material? He looks terrible nowadays, is getting on a bit and has knackered knees. It's a nice feelgood story, but when the show ends, you kind of realise that it's still Chris Sabin.

That's the thing, isn't it? These spikes happen quite a bit, but the next week it always goes back down to that set rating. I don't know what it is, but people just won't watch Impact two weeks in a row. It's baffling.

Hardly baffling as it was a special heavily hyped show? It wasn't any ordinary episode of Impact where the ratings just happened to be up. This week was presented as a big deal. Just like how the occasional Raw special would do better numbers

Hardly baffling as it was a special heavily hyped show? It wasn't any ordinary episode of Impact where the ratings just happened to be up. This week was presented as a big deal. Just like how the occasional Raw special would do better numbers

They've had other heavily hyped shows during the Prichard era but most times they failed to spike the viewership (above whatever the norm was at the time) for those shows. Which is kind of interesting since when Russo was writing that was kind of their specialty - spiking the viewership (above whatever the norm was at the time) for most of the heavily hyped shows. So yeah, I would say this 25% viewership spike over the previous week is definitely an accomplishment for them as spiking the numbers for key shows is something they used to be pretty good at but had been failing at lately so it's good to see them managing to do it again. Still though, like you guys say, it's not about the one-off spikes for heavily hyped shows - it's about maintaining the audience long-term. That's what matters the most.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members

This sounds a bit nasty:

James Storm was injured last night in a match in Danville, IL. We're still awaiting more details, but he was in a sell spot in the match with he and Gunner against Wes Brisco & Garett Bischoff.

Suddenly, he couldn't move. Gunner immediately went to the finish to retain the titles. Storm was tended to by EMT's, and a stretcher was brought in. Storm refused the stretcher and was helped to the back by Gunner. The show was delayed because it took a long time to get him to the back.

No announcement was made after the match.

From PW Torch this morning:

Sun, 21 Jul 2013

TNA NEWS: Six wrestlers disallowed from competing at house show - TNA left with skeleton crew, in-person perspective

Six of the wrestlers scheduled for Saturday night's TNA house show in Missouri were disallowed from competing on the show. Included was new TNA World Hvt. champion Chris Sabin.

According to PWTorch correspondents at Saturday night's show in Cape Girardeau, Mo., TNA announced at the start of the show that Sabin, Jay Bradley, Garett Bischoff, Wes Brisco, Miss Tessmacher, and Gail Kim were disallowed from competing by the Missouri Athletic Commission.

Bischoff & Brisco were not advertised on TNA's website, so eight advertised wrestlers remained for the show - Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Bully Ray, Devon, Bobby Roode, Samoa Joe, and TNA tag champions James Storm & Gunner.

Also according to correspondents, TNA offered refunds prior to the show, but also offered a free meet-and-greet for attendees who stayed for the entire show.

TNA has yet to issue an official statement on the situation; we are working to get clarification on why the MAC disallowed talent from appearing on the show.

I could be wrong, but I think the only other time I've heard of wrestlers being pulled from events like that was when WWE wrestlers like Lashley, Khali, and a few others got elevated liver enzymes in 2006 or 2007. I'm not saying that's happened here, but I'll be interested to see what caused this.

EDIT: Just seen some tweets about it, looks like those wrestlers didn't have licenses to wrestle in that state.

Edited by dopper

To be honest how many people went to that TNA show to watch those guys or the ones who did wrestle. Even a big company can work with 8 Wrestlers by doing a tournament or some people doing double duty to get 5-6 matches. Plus your more likely to get longer better matches with a smaller crew

To be honest how many people went to that TNA show to watch those guys or the ones who did wrestle. Even a big company can work with 8 Wrestlers by doing a tournament or some people doing double duty to get 5-6 matches. Plus your more likely to get longer better matches with a smaller crew

Yes that may be true but when one of the talent disallowed from competing is the newly crowned World champion then it looks bad on the company