WWE Hall of Fame 2013

FLips

• Paid Members

First of all, sorry if this topic is hanging about elsewhere on the board. I didn't see it, but if it has, destroy this one at your will.

News up today from WWE.Com that Mick Foley is the first official inductee this year, which personally I reckon is fantastic. I'm not huge on his recent appearances but he was a great watch when I was a kid. Not many people could get 3 (or more if you count his appearances as himself/Commisioner Foley/etc) different characters over and keep them popular with the fans, but Foley managed it. Especially with Mankind and Cactus Jack. It makes me feel really old though how people from when I was a kid are now going into the Hall of Fame.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wwe-hall-of-fa...f-fame-26083400

Jake The Snake has surely got to go in sooner rather than later too, especially with his recent better health.

• Paid Members

I'm mixed on him. I can completely see why people have soured on him given his recent shilling/broken man appearances, but in the end he's still Mick Foley. I was never a super fan like I was of The Rock, but Mankind was easily one of my favourites when I first got into wrestling, and when I watched old tapes of when he was Cactus Jack, it was mind blowing how different to everyone else in WWF he was at the time.

• Paid Members

Once upon a time he was right up there with Stone Cold and The Rock as one of my favourites. Now he's one of my least favourites, but he definitely deserves his place in the Hall Of Fame and with Mania being in NY/NJ this year it's the perfect opportunity to put him in. I'll probably enjoy his induction to be honest, but I generally hate it whenever he shows up these days.

Except for his appearance as Santa. That was awesome.

• Paid Members

Unique guy. One of the greatest for me.

Going back to the early 90's in WCW he stood out like a sore thumb how different he was.

Add to that some great matches and then you get him in the WWF and he starts cutting world class promos and creating iconic moments as well.

Thought it as to be said i missed the last 6/7 years of shitness from him mostly.

Have they mentioned who will induct him?

There are a few decent candidates such as Rock, Snuka, Undertaker, DeNucci, JR and Triple H. Oh, and Power Uti.

Got to be Funk?

• Paid Members
Have they mentioned who will induct him?

There are a few decent candidates such as Rock, Snuka, Undertaker, DeNucci, JR and Triple H. Oh, and Power Uti.

Got to be Funk?

Of course, totally forgot about him!

Think he likes Kaitlyn these days,the Melina perving in his book was quite creepy though.

Pretty deserved of his place in fairness,as much as I hate seeing him appear on TV these days.Used to be a massive fan of Mick til I met him at an autograph signing a few years back and he was moaning like a prick that the free chocolate the shop had given him had raisins in it.

• Paid Members

I liked him when he retired the first time. I loved his run as Commissioner and appreciated his comedic timing and chemistry with E&C and others. I didn't really care about him going back on his retirement in 2004, and when he had his match with Orton I thought "that was worth coming back for." Then I met him, and decided he was a tosser, and for some reason I got annoyed when he turned down TNA's advances in 2005, feeling they could have done with his name value, and went back to WWE for the money seemingly nothing major to do. And had a really weak match with Carlito. When he had his match with Edge at 'Mania XXII, I reverted to thinking "that was good. Now leave it, you're still leaving a good body of work behind you."

The mixed six person at One Night Stand was fairly good too, but then he had a terrible feud with Flair centred around annoying insider references, awkward worked shoots based on genuine personal disdain and professional jealousy, and rubbish matches. Everything since has just been a much of a muchness. I thought it was an absolute joke that TNA made him champion in 2009, and his match with Flair on Impact (which I was stunned to read one or two of my favourite posters gushing over) was an incoherent mess, two semi-retired men stumbling from spot to spot legitimately hurting each other with tables and drawing pins and risking getting hurt to get cheap pops in an inconsequential match in front a couple of hundred dickheads.

These days he's a plump jolly self-parody who I really can't be bothered to watch, and I always just think "you should have let go mate. You could have earned decent cash to look after your family without carrying on hurting yourself and tarnishing your legacy with BAD matches." It's a good job he let Undertaker throw him off a cage 15 years ago, else carrying on too long would be the main thing I think about when I think of fat ole Foley.

EDIT - forgot to say though, he's deserving of induction for definite.

• Paid Members

I never saw his TNA run so I can't comment on that. But I've pretty much enjoyed everything Mick Foley has ever done in the WWE. Even his recent Royal Rumble appearance with Santino had me chuckling. As a massive fan of hardcore/deathmatch wrestling, Foley has always been one of my favourites. Whether it was hardcore matches in ECW or WWF, bloodbaths in Japan or his comedy shtick with Mr Socko, or indeed, his absolutely first class feuds with Triple H, Randy Orton and Edge (all of which put those performers over as genuine headliners), I've always loved Mick Foley. The one time I met him, he was extremely nice to me as a completely star-struck 15 year old kid too. 110% deserved induction and I'm absolutely delighted for him.

I'm happy for Mick Foley. I never had the same level of hate/apathy as I've seen some posters have for him, but it occurs to me that I missed a lot of his bad stuff. Didn't see his TNA run, apart from a King of the Mountain match (I think?) which I actually enjoyed, he even did a flying elbow from the pod. I missed most of the Flair WWE feud apart from the PPV matches, which while not classics, were fine. One thing I find strange about the criticisms about Foley going past his prime, that same criticism was hardly ever applied to Flair (and even then never with the same vitriol), who outside of matches against HHH and HBK, looked every bit the broken down old man that he is.

I saw his match against Carlito, definitely unimpressive, but it takes two to tango, and Carlito was never the guy to get a good PPV quality match out of Mick. I feel the positives in his post retirement run (Backlash vs. Orton, Mania vs. Edge, One Night Stand 2006, and even his brief run as Smackdown commentator) outweigh the negatives, especially in helping to build two main eventers in Edge and Orton.

I know I'll be in the vast, vast minority, but I'd like to see one more feud with Foley, though maybe not necessarily to build up a young guy, because the boat may have sailed on that due to Foley's definite loss of credibility. More to send out Foley on a high note, because I don't want one of his last wrestling appearances to be fucking around with Santino in the Rumble. Put him against Punk at Summerslam or something, Punk can make Foley look good while adding a signature match to his own resume by beating a Hall of Famer.

Respect to Foley for all he's done in his active career as well, that in itself is worth the HOF. The Cell bump will forever be an iconic moment in WWE history, and he was a large part of the Attitude Era, and had successful stints in the big 3 promotions in the 1990s. While it wasn't all roses in the post-retirement stuff, he still made positive contributions in the modern era. :)

Archived