UFC on FX 7: 'Belfort vs Bisping'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
To be fair, nearly everyone looks inept when fighting Anderson Silva.

True. That's the thing, people have being saying 185 is a weak division for years, it's really not. 185 is a division which has Belfort, Bisping, Lombard, Okami, Weidman, Jacare, Rockhold, Wandy, Franklin, Le, Stann, Leben, Philippou, Boetsch, Belcher, Palhares.....I could go on. Its stacked with talent. They're all just unfortunate to be fighting in the same era and weight class as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. Anderson makes them all look bad.

I'm assuming Rockhold will be the next lamb to the slaughter, to be served at Anderson's BBQ. I hear Chael is invited.

EDIT - hmmmm are some people actually voting in the poll after the fights? And if so, why? The other day Bisping was way ahead in the poll. Only 4 or 5 people had voted Belfort. Now after the fight Belfort suddenly has 10 votes?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the sprinter won the sprint against the marathon runner.

It was always going to come down to who could dictate how long the fight went. Credit to Wand who correctly predicted Belfort had more tools in his striking arsenal.

Bisping has now lost in his step-up fight 5 times, its a rough game. He was never closer to a title shot than last night, and he sadly lost. Can he back to it? I will say no, at 33 and with the serious depth in the division I cannot see it. I hope I am wrong though. He needs a 3 fight win streak over the likes of Okami, Lombard and Rockhold to get back to it, possible but unlikely.

Belfort just imposed him game by expertly picking his openings, Bisping did not make that many mistakes, Belfort was just on-fire like he usually is when things go his way or when the fight is early. Maybe Bisping could have tried some takedowns early in the second, he maybe spent a bit too much time on the feet when he did not have to.

Belfort vs Anderson 2 does not interest me, I say Anderson vs Weidman would be a decent match-up, I would accept Rockhold, Jacare and Lombard provided he beats Okami convincingly.

The Sonnen stuff is I think will set-up Chael vs Belfort in the Winter months, after Sonnen loses to Jones. I cannot and do not want to see Belfort vs Jones 2.

A exciting Main Card, with finishes. None of the fights were of much relevance to titles or anything, so I cannot give that much opinion on where the others go next. Dollaway, Gonzaga, Rothwell and Tavres seem to be mid-tier for life at this stage and just there to make up the numbers. I could not take them seriously as title contenders.

The guy who knocked out Tavres looks a interesting prospect, will be interested to see him again.

Overall a entertaining show.

• Paid Members

I'd be up for Anderson vs Belfort 2. I wouldn't give Belfort much of a chance but at least there's a threat there. A bit of danger. Something. He's the only guy at 185 who I think would have a hope in hell of catching Anderson on the feet. He has the speed and power. For a round or two anyway. It's a chance, even if it's a slim as fuck one.

It interests me more than Rockhold. He would be a fresh body but he offers nothing for Anderson in my opinion. Sod all. I thought the same with Bisping but at least he has the personality that makes you want to see it.

Don't get me wrong, Rockhold is as deserving as anyone else at 185 right now. They can't not make the fight just because I think he'll do shit. If he's earned it he deserves a chance.

But personally, the way I look at it I'd rather see a rematch with a guy who has a very slim chance than a fresh fight with a guy with as good as no chance.

• Paid Members

I've got to be honest, that post fight speech from Belfort was utterly idiotic and quite frankly insane. You've just comprehensively beaten the would be number 1 contender to the 185lb title, and the champ is sitting there right in the front row. What better time to make a statement and call out the champ? But no, you call out the man who absolutely man handled you in your very last fight who's in a completely different weight class, whilst simultaneously claiming yourself to be a champion? Errrr right.

True Lamby, but I think Vitor is smarter than that speech would indicate. Big money to made with Chael, who I think is his real target. The talk of Jones is pure grandstanding in my opinion. The UFC I doubt would make it because as you said, it would be a bit insane.

I get that Vitor may have the better chance, but 2 out of 3 of Anderson's last fights at 185lbs have been re-runs and the other was with Vitor himself. I get there was a serious need for both Sonnen and Okami to get rematches, and maybe if Belfort gets another win and a bit more time goes by I will change my mind. But as of now Belfort vs Silva 2 does nothing for me. MMA for various reasons has had a lot of re-runs recently, I would like to see some fresh matches and as they are available at 185lbs without stretching legitimacy, I hope to get them.

The Rockhold fight does not exactly send me too bed happy at night, for reasons stated. But at least it would be a fresh body and Rockhold despite not being outstanding has yet to beat on the big stage (he lost early in his career, but not in Strikeforce) they could also play up the Champion vs Champion card.

In a ideal world Weidman or Jacare would be my picks, I think the former will get it if justice is served.

• Paid Members

The problem is Jim, regardless of where the money is, it made Belfort seem like a total moron.

Edit. The irony is I still believe Belfort has a major chance of beating Silva. Additionally I also believe Weidman and Jacare can beat Silva too.

• Paid Members

I thought Belfort had seriously lost his marbles on first viewing but I think you might be on to something Jimmy. Belfort has all but bagged himself a big fight with Chael. I'd be surprised if we don't see it by the end of 2013. Probably on a Summer card actually.

Not that I'd wish injury on him, but just say Okami got hurt, say Chael's Mom comes after him with a gun again....Belfort vs Lombard would be something to see wouldn't it.

I hear you on Rockhold, I'm not against it but I wouldn't be as arsed about it. There's so many more appealing fights for Anderson right now. Rockhold isn't one of them for me. He's good but I'd give him no more than about 3.47 of the first round before Anderson sat him down violently.

He did indeed come across as a dribbling maniac. Even if there was a method to his madness.

Even though I may come across as apathetic to Belfort, him fighting a Lombard, Chael or even Weidman is something I would support greatly. He is a exciting and skillful fighter, a decent argument could be made for a HOF based on his 90,s work and being a former Champion.

Rockhold I agree would not do much to Anderson and he is would my first choice, that would go to Weidman or Jacare. I have a hard time arguing for Jacare to get a shot, so I will settle for Weidman. Say Chael beats Jones as unlikely as it is, I doubt Belfort would get Chael for the title, there is Machida/Hendo and Gusty/Mousasi waiting ahead.

I think Anderson would rather go where the money is, if he has much of a say. So Anderson vs Belfort 2 could happen at some point with it being a hot ticket in Brazil.

At this point 185lbs is right up in the air, as its stacked that can only be a good thing. I tell you kids, back in my day all we had was Rich Franklin, Nate Quarry and Dave Loiseau. You don't know how lucky you have it ;)

• Paid Members

Hey Franklin was good in his day, he was champ when 185 didn't have much depth but he could only fight who was there. He's still good now just inconsistent and has an allergy for southpaws with KO power :)

Weidman would be my choice for Anderson too but is he even cleared to train again yet? He might not even be an option at the moment.

He thinks he will be back in the Summer.

Chris Weidman ‏@ChrisWeidmanUFC

Ill be back in summer and that's when Anderson wanted to fight..coincidence? I think not : )

And yeah Franklin was good, but would the prime version of him crack the top 5 now? Style match-ups dictate he might be on the fringes but 185lbs is a haven these days. Best division in MMA.

• Paid Members

True but it's not really fair. The sport is constantly evolving. If you look at the average skill level back in the early to mid 2000s, Franklin was elite for that era. There were no Jon Jones type guys. GSP would be closest and even he was never as scary back then as watching Jones ragdoll Hamill or destroy Shogun.

Would prime Sakuraba crack top 5 now in today's 170 division? Debatable but it's a lot less likely I'm sure you'll agree. Would prime Ortiz and Liddell rule the title scene at 205 if the likes of Jones, Machida, Evans etc were around?

The sport has come a long way hasn't it.

Great to hear Weidman will be back in the Summer. For some reason I thought he was supposed to out most of the year. Thing is, with the layoff would he be better taking a fight before challenging Anderson? If he comes in rusty and Anderson makes a highlight reel out of him where does that leave him?

At least this Bisping nonsense is over. He has never cut it at the elite level and this was more proof to that. Glad he isn't going to get a title shot. Belfort said nothing about Anderson which says everything you need to know. One of the worst post interviews I've ever heard and I don't get it, he must be next for Anderson at 185lbs, right?.

True but it's not really fair. The sport is constantly evolving. If you look at the average skill level back in the early to mid 2000s, Franklin was elite for that era. There were no Jon Jones type guys. GSP would be closest and even he was never as scary back then as watching Jones ragdoll Hamill or destroy Shogun.

Would prime Sakuraba crack top 5 now in today's 170 division? Debatable but it's a lot less likely I'm sure you'll agree. Would prime Ortiz and Liddell rule the title scene at 205 if the likes of Jones, Machida, Evans etc were around?

Great to hear Weidman will be back in the Summer. For some reason I thought he was supposed to out most of the year. Thing is, with the layoff would he be better taking a fight before challenging Anderson? If he comes in rusty and Anderson makes a highlight reel out of him where does that leave him?

GSP schooling Trigg was not as brutal as Jones destruction of Hamill, but it was just as scary with the skill difference.

Saku? It is hard to say but my gut says no, Prime Liddel I think would do well today, but yeah he would probably not rule. Prime for Prime, I actually think Liddel beats Evans and may beat Machida. For the record Liddel's prime was 2005-2006, only two years.

The general rule I agree with, the sport have evolved and come a long way. I feel I am being very generous to Liddel even.

Weidman may be best served a tune-up, but if its offered I say he should take it. In this landscape of a stacked class he may be waiting a while if he turns it down. He seems to really want Anderson, and with Anderson denying he has signed a 10 fight deal, it is questionable how long he will be about.

• Paid Members
He did indeed come across as a dribbling maniac. Even if there was a method to his madness.

i don't think there was, Vitor just gets excited and speaks his mind...he was probably feeling invincible after knocking out Bisping and decided to call out Jones on the spot. It was so unexpected though, i didn't even think Vitor had mentioned wanting a rematch previously. It does nicely set up a Chael/Vitor fight someone somewhere down the line though which is nice.

The middleweight division is all to cock though, the 3 top contenders (minus Weidman) have all been knocked off in emphatic fashion recently. It may open up Weidman to come straight in and challenge for the title next...although i would like to see the Anderson/Rockhold fight (but thats the Strikeforce fanboy in me). Thing is, if Vitor had called out Anderson, personally i'd have all been for that cause i was one of the few that wanna see that thing re-run...would have been a cool moment doing that in Brazil too.

• Paid Members

i personally don't think Sakuraba had the physical strength that would make him a viable contender in this day and age, skill-wise he probably could have hung most of the current 170lb division but he wasn't the physical specimen that the modern MMA athlete are.

Liddell would have done ok, he has an ageless style, solid takedown defence and razor sharp, heavy handed counter striking will always be effective.

Tito is a hard one to call, i think he was a bit one dimensional to have much success in modern MMA, his wrestle, ground and pound approach will always give a certain type of fighter fits but i don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective now as he was back then.

Archived