UFC on FX 7: 'Belfort vs Bisping'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe to beat Anderson you have to be outstanding in a certain area, preferably wrestling or submissions.

Jacare ticks that box, as his submission and grappling game is outstanding, I think he could get a sub out of Anderson if he were to get him to the ground just once. Its just getting Anderson down that would be the problem.

Jacare along with Weidman are the two 185lbs I see potential to give Anderson problems.

Bisping, I agree does not have much hope. Still want to see it though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first I agree with partially, his all round fighting game is decent but nothing special. However his cardio and conditioning is fantastic.

Yeah, again, very much like Forrest Griffin. They are actually very alike in their strengths and weaknesses. Although Bisping seems more focused and enjoying MMA more than Forrest these days.

:laugh: Walked right into that one.

I could argue that Bisping is more technical and more athletic. But I would be splitting hairs.

• Paid Members

I don't see how Bisping is "streets ahead" of Griffin at all. It's easy to shit on Griffin, he's a twat these days and he doesn't seem as motivated as he was pre-2009. But he's certainly no bum.

Good standup using mostly straight punches, decent jab, likes to kick. Throws a high volume of strikes but lacks a little in power - This is Griffin and Bisping

Underrated wrestling - see Griffin's fight with Franklin and how he was able to repeatedly sweep Tito, see Bisping vs Sonnen, Evans.

High pace and cardio - yeah Griffin gassed last time but he'd had almost a year layoff previously in fairness. Aside from that the pace and cardio was his best asset in most of his wins. Bisping is known for this too.

Both have suspect striking defence and can be dragged into a brawl. Both are relatively easy to hit and get rocked or knocked down fairly regularily.

Underrated BJJ - See Forrest's sweeps, defence and work from the bottom. Subbed Shogun. Bisping's defence, work from the bottom.

Is Bisping "streets ahead"?

As you alluded to there, the very fact that Griffin is simply phoning it in these days would instantly put Bisping streets ahead of him. Bisping is motivated, hungry and confident in his own ability. Griffin isn't.

Griffin is vastly inferior when it comes to his technique on the feet. Yes, neither possess knock out power, but Bispings boxing is much more crisp, technical and his footwork is miles better.

Throw in the fact that Griffin is a mental midget as well, and you can surely see where I'm coming from?

• Paid Members

I completely agree on the mental side. Which is why when I first made the comparison I put...

Although Bisping seems more focused and enjoying MMA more than Forrest these days

My point wasn't comparing current form. Clearly Bisping is a contender and Forrest is winding down. I was just comparing their overall styles which are similar. They use similar tactics.

I stand by what I said. I'll say this, Bisping is a good striker but I think he's overrated. His grappling is underrated, his striking is overrated for me. He's good but anyone who backs off with their chin straight up can't be called a great striker.

His footwork can be good. It can also be rotten. He often puts himself in danger. Not to mention repeatedly circling the wrong way even AFTER Hendo laid him out stiff as a surfboard.

The only thing Bisping possesses as a striker which Forrest lacks is speed.

Forrest and Bisping have very similar fighting styles in my opinion.

On past form, I would agree with Wand, Forrest doesn't give a shit anymore and if him being suspended for taking Xanax is any indication, he has mental health problems, but this wasn't always the case. I always felt that Forrest was never particularly talented in any area, but had a tremendous amount of heart and will power which often saw him through, that is well and truly gone now. I do think Bisping is a little more naturally talented but not streets ahead.

• Paid Members
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think if Bisping gets past the first frame he'll go on to win comfortably. Belfort always comes out like a man on a mission, but he lacks the heart of a Chris Leben or a Brian Stann. If Bisping can survive early I think Belfort will slow considerably and lose a rather lopsided decision to Bisping.

that's how im seeing it go too.

On past form, I would agree with Wand, Forrest doesn't give a shit anymore and if him being suspended for taking Xanax is any indication, he has mental health problems, but this wasn't always the case. I always felt that Forrest was never particularly talented in any area, but had a tremendous amount of heart and will power which often saw him through, that is well and truly gone now. I do think Bisping is a little more naturally talented but not streets ahead.

Definitely this, Griffin was the reason I started watching MMA, never particularly brilliant at any aspect of MMA but his heart and focus got him through some fights where he should have been outclassed.

As much as David seems to delight in it, it's actually quite sad to see him as he is now. Hopefully he'll get himself sorted out.

• Paid Members

I'll echo Jessica, i hope Griffin sorts himself out, if that means stepping away from the cage im fine with that.

has anyone got hold of the new UFC DVD of Griffin? it's on fightdvd, i might pick it up over the weekend.

• Paid Members

Forrest's a weird case. I don't think there's another fighter I've ever done a complete 180 on like I have with him.

I really liked him on TUF 1. He seemed like a really genuine, down to earth guy. In a house of nutters (Leben/Diego), twats (Southworth/Kos), dullards (Schoenauer/Karalexis), thieves (Hoger) and nerds (Florian/Strangebrew), Forrest and Bonnar seemed like the soundest fuckers around. Seeing them make the final was great.

After TUF I was a Forrest fan. I wanted to see him rise up the ranks. I even liked him when he beat Shogun. I liked him as coach on TUF 7 and throughout the build up for the Rampage and Rashad fights despite me being a bigger fan of his opponents.

I don't know what happened but it seemed like he lost the title to Rashad and almost overnight turned into a massive tosser. I've read that he's a cock to fans, every interview I see he comes across as a real smart arse, condescending dick. I really didn't get that vibe off him before about 2009.

• Paid Members
Forrest's a weird case. I don't think there's another fighter I've ever done a complete 180 on like I have with him.

I really liked him on TUF 1. He seemed like a really genuine, down to earth guy. In a house of nutters (Leben/Diego), twats (Southworth/Kos), dullards (Schoenauer/Karalexis), thieves (Hoger) and nerds (Florian/Strangebrew), Forrest and Bonnar seemed like the soundest fuckers around. Seeing them make the final was great.

After TUF I was a Forrest fan. I wanted to see him rise up the ranks. I even liked him when he beat Shogun. I liked him as coach on TUF 7 and throughout the build up for the Rampage and Rashad fights despite me being a bigger fan of his opponents.

I don't know what happened but it seemed like he lost the title to Rashad and almost overnight turned into a massive tosser. I've read that he's a cock to fans, every interview I see he comes across as a real smart arse, condescending dick. I really didn't get that vibe off him before about 2009.

Yep. That sums up my exact experience of watching Forrest's career, too. I thought he was the greatest guy alive after Season 1 of The Ultimate Fighter, supported him loads in every fight that followed, jumped for joy when he beat Shogun, rejoiced and laughed my tits off when he beat Rampage for the title, but then out of nowhere he turned into the biggest prick on the planet. Since he lost to Rashad he's been a massive bell-end wherever he's appeared, running out of The Octagon, coming across like a twat in interviews and generally acting like he doesn't give a shit. I genuinely wonder if he's got some type of brain damage, but then surely they check for stuff like that in pre-fight medicals...right?

On topic I'm very much of the same opinion as everyone else. I think if Belfort doesn't smash him in the first round, then Bisping is probably winning a decision. Which is fine by me, I'd pay serious wedge to watch him get obliterated by Anderson Silva.

• Paid Members
im hoping the documentary the UFC released reminds me of why i was once a big Griffin fan.

Yeah, I'll still pick that up. I've really enjoyed the other documentaries on Royce, Hughes and Chuck vs Tito. I'm hoping they do one Wanderlei Silva and Big Nog soonish as well. Although I suspect BJ Penn and Randy Couture will get one first.

Back on the topic, I defo agree that if Bisping can drag it into the later rounds he should win quite comfortably. I think Belfort will be sharp the first 2 rounds but after that the danger is mostly gone. The question is can Bisping get through that early danger period? I think Belfort will catch him. Once he finds his range I don't think Bisping will have an answer for Belfort's speed and power and he'll backpeddle like he did with Wand and Hendo, and get tagged and finished. I just don't see Bisping having the kind of striking that will make Belfort respect him. Bisping needs to mix it up I reckon.

• Paid Members

Wait, so these DVDs are actual documentaries? I thought they were just a collection of fights! If there's a documentary portion similar to WWE DVDs then I might have to pick them up! There's loads of fighters I'd love to see get a documentary similar to what WWE do with guys like Punk. Randy could have the greatest DVD ever.

Archived