UFC on FX 7: 'Belfort vs Bisping'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

To be honest I completely forgot that this is before the FOX 6 event on the 26th. It's a good looking card with a huge main event for FX.

belfort-vs.-besping.jpg

FX MAIN CARD

Vitor Belfort vs Michael Bisping

CB Dollaway vs Daniel Sarafian

Gabriel Gonzaga vs Ben Rothwell

Thiago Tavares vs Khabib Nurmagomedov

FUEL TV PRELIMS

Milton Vieira vs Godofredo Castro

Ronny Markes vs Andrew Craig

Diego Nunes vs Nik Lentz

Edson Barboza vs Lucas Martins

Yuri Alcantara vs Pedro Nobre

Wagner Prado vs Ildemar Alcantara

FACEBOOK PRELIM

Francisco Trinaldo vs CJ Keith

Some good stuff on here. Obviously the main event is the attraction, and a big fight for the Middleweight division. A win for Bisping finally sets him up for a crack at Anderson Silva's title. A win for Belfort might not but depending on how impressively he might win, he could. Pretty much all the potential fresh contenders at 185 have been wiped out recently, either by losses or injuries. From Weidman to Boetsch to Lombard to Belcher. And Belfort vs Silva 2 is a fight that could sell based on the bad blood leading into the last one and the ridiculous finish to the fight itself.

Belfort-and-Bisping.jpg

Either way, there's a lot at stake in this one. They've seemed to get on alright in the build up.

bisping-belfort-sao-paulo-size-598.jpg

Although Bisping has had to get his usual little digs in...

"He has the body of a lion but the legs of a chicken and the heart of a chicken, which I'll show. I can go five five-minute rounds standing on my head. I don't think Vitor Belfort can do the same thing, and after round one, he's going to be a walking punching bag and it's gonna be an easy night."

390x270.jpg

Wait, there's more...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sarafian/Dolloway is an odd co-main event on paper, i never realised Sarafian was on TUF Brazil though (didnt see it), the Brazilian crowd will no doubt be hot on him. Nunes/Lentz as wand. said could be insane, im a bit of a Nik Lentz fan.

I'm surprised the UFC have given Roger Hollet a 2nd crack against Prado, i dunno if they are giving him leniance because of 'jitters' but he stunk it up against Hamill.

Looking at the card, only thing I'm interested in is the main event and I don't know who take it. UFC 155 helped Bisping out, he's got to take that opportunity. If Bisping wins and as amazing the highlight reel Anderson Silva has, he's got a challenge topping THAT KO Bisping was the victim of.

Yeah, this is a bit of a one-fight card for me. Nunes/Lentz will be a barnburner, Nunes was f'n crazy in his last fight against Bartimus, and Lentz has done everything humanly possible to shed the "boring" tag he received initially. Add a hot Brazilian crowd to that and there's something to look forward to.

As for Belfort vs. Bisping... ehh, the only interest I have in that is the possibility of Bisping getting sparked. I thought about Bisping and his fights recently and it hit me that he's never really been in an intense, exciting fight. His fight with Wand was good only because of Wand's late flurries in each round, and of course the Hendo KO was a classic but in general, he has that crisp technical kickboxing style where he stays on the outside and picks his shots, limiting the excitement. Not saying it's boring or not good, just that his fight style doesn't have that killer instinct and as such his best fights, against Sonnen and Stann, can receive only the praise of being "above-average". I think that, as much as the quality of opponents he's beaten and the top names he's lost to, contribute towards Bisping being in UFC about 8 years without a title shot.

Looking at the card, only thing I'm interested in is the main event and I don't know who take it.

Yeah, this is a bit of a one-fight card for me.

Seriously?!?

This looks like a cracking card to me, with a load of fights worth looking forward to. The first bout that catches my eye is the Barboza/Martins fight. Barboza is a guy who has taken fight of the night honours in three of his five UFC bouts thus far, and one KO of the night. He's also coming off a shock loss to Jamie Varner and fighting at home, so the chances are that he'll be amped up and ready to go.

Nunes/Lentz has been covered elsewhere so I won't go into details on that one. Safe to say it promises to be a cracker though.

Ronny Markes looks like a decent prospect, especially at middleweight where he showed some balls to come back and beat Aaron Simpson after getting dropped in the first frame. He's fighting Andrew Craig, who may not jump out at you due to his rather generic name, but he's 2-0 in the UFC (8-0 in total), and staged what many called the comeback of the year in 2012 when he came back to drop Rafael Natal with a superb headkick in the second frame of their bout.

Godofredo Castro/Milton Vieira sees the runner up on TUF Brazil face the guy who invented the anaconda choke! If that doesn't at least register some interest then you're maybe better checking your pulse or something!

Nurmagomedov/Thiago Tavares sees 5 year, 12 fight UFC veteran Thiago Tavares face a guy who has been a two time Combat Sambo World Champion and who was the NAGA Grappling World Champion last year.

Oh, he's also held the title of European "Army Hand-to-Hand Fight" Champion! Nothing could better that, apart from maybe his blonde weigh-in wig;

khabib-nurmagomedov-ufc148-white-afro-wig.jpg

We know what Tavares bring to the table, but Nurmagomedov is currently 2-0 with the UFC, and has beaten both Kamal Shalorus & Gleison Tibau, which is not to be sniffed at.

Gonzaga/Rothwell promises to be a short, exciting heavyweight bout. Neither guy is making a title run any time soon, but it should be a good watch nonetheless.

Sarafian/Dolloway is an odd co-main event on paper, i never realised Sarafian was on TUF Brazil though (didnt see it), the Brazilian crowd will no doubt be hot on him.

If you'd seen the show (why the fuck would you not have seen an all-Brazil TUF?!?!) you'd understand exactly why he's the co-main event. There's a brief highlight video of his time in the house, where he finished both his fights in impressive fashion before having to pull out of the finale due to injury. As Wand said, he's an intense dude and was favourite to take the show until he got injured.

I can't wait to see him fight, and seeing it happen in a co-main slot in Brazil will just make it all the more exciting. I hate CB Dolloway as well, so I'll enjoy seeing him get his head cracked (hopefully!).

The main event is a fight we know all about, so I'll leave that alone.

COEt0.gif

In short, this event is going to fucking rock!

Looking at the card, only thing I'm interested in is the main event and I don't know who take it.

Yeah, this is a bit of a one-fight card for me.

Seriously?!?

This looks like a cracking card to me, with a load of fights worth looking forward to. The first bout that catches my eye is the Barboza/Martins fight. Barboza is a guy who has taken fight of the night honours in three of his five UFC bouts thus far, and one KO of the night. He's also coming off a shock loss to Jamie Varner and fighting at home, so the chances are that he'll be amped up and ready to go.

It'll be fun to watch Barboza again, I loved his fight with Njokuani and of course that wheel kick was the KO of the year. Unfortunately, I've never seen his opponent, so I have no investment in the fight. It's pretty much a Barboza showcase to rebuild him, a squash match, I think given his past performances, he should be in a higher spot with a mid-level contender. Jamie Varner has proven himself extremely worthy in the LW division since that fight, UFC shouldn't hold the loss against Barboza- or rather, his standing in the division.

Ronny Markes looks like a decent prospect, especially at middleweight where he showed some balls to come back and beat Aaron Simpson after getting dropped in the first frame. He's fighting Andrew Craig, who may not jump out at you due to his rather generic name, but he's 2-0 in the UFC (8-0 in total), and staged what many called the comeback of the year in 2012 when he came back to drop Rafael Natal with a superb headkick in the second frame of their bout.

I actually like Andrew Craig, forgot about his headkick until now though, sadly. Was that the one where Natal was acting super cocky before getting his ass handed to him, or am I thinking of a different fight? I remember Craig's debut against Kyle Noke, that was a great showing, I have to hand it to someone who can take it to an Aussie like that. As for Markes, I remember him having a super boring fight against Karlos Vemola, so that's why his name doesn't inspire too much excitement.

Godofredo Castro/Milton Vieira sees the runner up on TUF Brazil face the guy who invented the anaconda choke! If that doesn't at least register some interest then you're maybe better checking your pulse or something!

Didn't watch TUF Brazil, didn't know that dude invented the anaconda choke. You shouldn't assume everyone has the same knowledge you do- although admittedly your description of this card makes you sound like a great salesman. I'll have to watch the disc of UFC 147 I have to educate myself a little- was Godofredo known as Pepey on the show?

Nurmagomedov/Thiago Tavares sees 5 year, 12 fight UFC veteran Thiago Tavares face a guy who has been a two time Combat Sambo World Champion and who was the NAGA Grappling World Champion last year.

Okay, how do you know this stuff? I do remember the cool wig though, IIRC his fight with Tibau was a good one. The problem with Nurmagomedov (and many of the fighters on the card) is that they're yet to really make their mark in the UFC, which means it's hard to invest in them unless you're a hardcore fan that knows every undercard fighter in depth. I try to watch as many fights as I can, and while I recognise some of the names, I have trouble connecting them to faces and past fights.

Gonzaga/Rothwell promises to be a short, exciting heavyweight bout. Neither guy is making a title run any time soon, but it should be a good watch nonetheless.

Yeah, should be good, but in saying it was a one fight show, I was referring more to fights with relevance as well as fight quality, although I went for the misdirection with Nunes/Lentz, both it and Bisping/Belfort are significant to their divisions. I actually thought Gonzaga should have gotten the co-main based on name value.

Sarafian/Dolloway is an odd co-main event on paper, i never realised Sarafian was on TUF Brazil though (didnt see it), the Brazilian crowd will no doubt be hot on him.

If you'd seen the show (why the fuck would you not have seen an all-Brazil TUF?!?!) you'd understand exactly why he's the co-main event. There's a brief highlight video of his time in the house, where he finished both his fights in impressive fashion before having to pull out of the finale due to injury. As Wand said, he's an intense dude and was favourite to take the show until he got injured.

I can't wait to see him fight, and seeing it happen in a co-main slot in Brazil will just make it all the more exciting. I hate CB Dolloway as well, so I'll enjoy seeing him get his head cracked (hopefully!).

Language barrier mainly for me, plus shitty Internet connection for the most part at the time. But either way, can't stand subtitles. I have to agree with the Dolloway hate. In two days or so when my Internet gets sped up, I'll watch that highlight vid (edit: gave it a watch as you said it was brief. Okay, I'm impressed. Brutal!). Anyone who can destroy CB has made a fan out of me. I can't explain why I dislike him, he just has a punchable face and demeanor.

• Paid Members

I think by people suggesting that they are only interested in the Main Event is a problem that it looks like the UFC haven't learnt from last time. If either of Bisping or Belfort gets injured, the entire card falls apart because there is no other headline main event for this fight. It seems they have no plan b. Also their possible replacements most notably in Belcher just lost, so it will be butt clenching time over the next couple of weeks for the UFC and pray that nothing goes wrong.

Didn't watch TUF Brazil, didn't know that dude invented the anaconda choke. You shouldn't assume everyone has the same knowledge you do- although admittedly your description of this card makes you sound like a great salesman. I'll have to watch the disc of UFC 147 I have to educate myself a little- was Godofredo known as Pepey on the show?

Yeah, he's known as Pepey. I'm no salesman, trust me! :laugh:

Okay, how do you know this stuff? I do remember the cool wig though, IIRC his fight with Tibau was a good one. The problem with Nurmagomedov (and many of the fighters on the card) is that they're yet to really make their mark in the UFC, which means it's hard to invest in them unless you're a hardcore fan that knows every undercard fighter in depth. I try to watch as many fights as I can, and while I recognise some of the names, I have trouble connecting them to faces and past fights.

I'm also big into grappling tournaments and suchlike, which is probably why I can appreciate the likes of Jon Fitch more than the average MMA fan who thinks he's just laying on people. I was under the impression that most of the regular posters in these threads were hardcore fans?

I think by people suggesting that they are only interested in the Main Event is a problem that it looks like the UFC haven't learnt from last time. If either of Bisping or Belfort gets injured, the entire card falls apart because there is no other headline main event for this fight. It seems they have no plan b. Also their possible replacements most notably in Belcher just lost, so it will be butt clenching time over the next couple of weeks for the UFC and pray that nothing goes wrong.

The UFC are putting on three events over a two week period, so they are hardly able to fill all cards up with "name" fighters, are they? Also, this card is a free television event and is taking place in Brazil. Not to showcase some of their up & coming Brazilian fighters on this would be crazy in my opinion, especially when the majority of them are actually pretty fucking decent.

Big name fighters sell PPV cards. This event will draw a decent number of MMA fans by virtue of it being free, thus giving them an opportunity to put some new and exciting fighters in front of an audience who maybe haven't seen them yet.

Trust me, this event won't fail to deliver as it stands.

I don't think anyone's outright saying that it won't deliver a good night of fights, just that on paper, on face value, this card doesn't immediately stand out. Hell, we've seen frequently in the past 6 months especially that these free events, that don't appear as loaded, deliver more than PPVs sometimes.

I'm also big into grappling tournaments and suchlike, which is probably why I can appreciate the likes of Jon Fitch more than the average MMA fan who thinks he's just laying on people. I was under the impression that most of the regular posters in these threads were hardcore fans?

Haha, I'd like to think that I'm more "hardcore" than any UFC/MMA fan I've met IRL. I can appreciate the ground game, I loved Sots a few years back when he schooled Stevenson in jujitsu, and Charles Oliveira made me an immediate fan with his crazy ground work. That said, I've never looked into things like grappling tournaments, that's taking it the extra mile.

I know several fighters that are staples of prelims, some of my favourites include Matt Riddle, TJ Grant and Matt Brown, names that most casual UFC fans wouldn't know. [/attempts to regain cred] :p

As far as this one goes, we're talking about several fighters from a show that aired online in Portuguese, including some (one in the co-main) yet to officially debut in the UFC. It should be understandable that they're a bit unfamiliar.

IAs far as this one goes, we're talking about several fighters from a show that aired online in Portuguese, including some (one in the co-main) yet to officially debut in the UFC. It should be understandable that they're a bit unfamiliar.

Yeah, it's safe to say that I'm just an MMA geek! :laugh:

Lombard said pretty much straight after his win over Palhares that, if Belfort were to get injured and had to pull out, that he'd step in and take the Bisping fight.

• Paid Members

the fact that it's in Brazil means the UFC can do this kind of thing though, the fans go apeshit over there for this stuff. The TV ratings in Brazil are insane for MMA shows, it'll be a success regardless.

the fact that it's in Brazil means the UFC can do this kind of thing though, the fans go apeshit over there for this stuff. The TV ratings in Brazil are insane for MMA shows, it'll be a success regardless.

The fact that they have Belfort fighting in the main event, and plenty of Brazilian talent elsewhere on the card is the main thing.

Archived